Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 16 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 20:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grand Canyon - Canyonlands - Arches

crawf71
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 16, 2011 20:36 |  #1

Good Day folks,

Heading out west in early December. Since I'm pretty new to landscapes (mostly do urban) was wondering if you can point out anything special I might need?

Current gear is a 7d, 24-105L and 70-200L IS. I do not have any filters. Should I pick up a polarizing for the canyons?

Also any tips for these parks? We have never been to any of them. How much time in each park?

Thanks

Chris

Edit: I'm probably going to rent a UWA lens, 10-22 or sigma 10-20.

Chris
Gear: 7d 24-105L 70-200L f4 IS

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 16, 2011 20:54 |  #2

you definitely wanna rent a UWA. In fact, I would suggest you purchase one. It is the kind of lens that every landscape shooter needs. I loved the 10-22 on my 7D.

Would suggest you have a CPL for every lens...with the possible exception of the UWA. It is all too easy on a UWA like 10mm to vignette the heck of the sky and ruin the shot. So a little polarizing on the UWA goes a long way.

I would consider a 1.4 converter for the 70-200. You never know when you will find some nice wildlife to shoot.....or even a distant landscape.

How much time can you spend in any one of those parks doing photography....literal​ly a lifetime. When we go to Moab we go for at least 2 weeks at a time and usually spend it in Arches, Canyonlands Island in the Sky, Dead Horse SP, Gemini Bridges and other sites within a 2 hour drive.

Go to Amazon and order at least the first volume (1st of 3) of Photographing the Southwest. You can do some serious planning with those books.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2011 20:58 |  #3

Be aware that, at the Canyon, you'll be "confined" to the South Rim only in December...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

nowakchr
69 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 16, 2011 22:44 |  #4

There is a fantastic series of books called "Photographing the Southwest" do yourself a favor and pick the ones up that are applicable to where you will be visiting. You wont be disappointed.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,267 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 17, 2011 06:13 |  #5

I agree with all that's been said.

A couple days at South Rim, shooting early and late, will allow you to shoot from all the overlooks. Dec should be good, I like it with snow on the rocks.

You can spend months around Moab and not run out of opportunities, so it will just be a matter of your choices. I've never been there in winter, but would love to shoot Arches with snow on the rocks.

Be aware that you will pass by, or near, lots of wonderful scenery if you drive directly to Moab from Grand Canyon. You'll get an idea when you read the book that has been recommended.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

crawf71
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 17, 2011 19:57 |  #6

Thanks for the advice, will order them books tonight.

How long should we plan for the south rim? 2 days?

We also plan on taking 163 from GC to Moab. Valley of the gods, etc.

Again thanks.

Chris

g8trgr8t
174 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 25, 2011 21:35 |  #7

go to Page, visit Antelope canyon, do smoothwater float trip down the canyon

2 days max south rim
2 days min Sedona
2 days Page
2 days min Zion
2 days Bryce Canyon

check these albums for pics

http://s278.photobucke​t.com …na-GlennCanyon-Zion%2009/ (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i278.photobucke​t.com …on-Zion%2009/_MG_3301.jpg (external link)

http://i278.photobucke​t.com …-Zion%2009/_MG_3696-1.jpg (external link)

http://s278.photobucke​t.com …gr8t/Yellowston​eJune2010/ (external link)

http://i278.photobucke​t.com …Canyon-Zion%2009/a3-1.jpg (external link)

http://i278.photobucke​t.com …anyon-Zion%2009/GL1-1.jpg (external link)

Yellowstone album has Bryce Canyon in it

http://i278.photobucke​t.com …lowstoneJune201​0/gc40.jpg (external link)

http://i278.photobucke​t.com …lowstoneJune201​0/gc36.jpg (external link)

Nordwil57
583 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 26, 2011 08:00 |  #8

I agree with all the good info above. Def. rent the UWA, I used the 12-24 extensively on our trip (Thanks for some good Antelope tips Stan!).

I would also highly recommend the CPL. It got a lot of use, especially in the harsh midday sun.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

g8trgr8t
174 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2011 08:24 |  #9

It seemed to be that with the wide angle, the CPL was troublesome as the sky will change colors or you ahd other distortions across the frame. Next time I go west, I think I am going to try some different filters to help pull out the colors, especially in mid-day sun. Good article here

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/tech/filters.htm (external link)

Never used a blue-yellow polarizer before but it looks interesting

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 26, 2011 11:24 as a reply to  @ g8trgr8t's post |  #10

Remember that a filter can no pull out (amplify) any color; it can only reduce the undesired colors. That means you are losing data in the capture. Instead shoot to the right on the histogram and capture as much data as possible without blowing out highlights. Then use various post processing techniques and software filters to use all that data to create the desired image.

With film we had to "get it right in camera". With digital we should try to "capture as much data as possible" in camera. Those two concepts are not the same. ;)

Nordwil57
583 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 26, 2011 15:20 |  #11

Chris, I'm not sure if your schedule allows, but a night in Monument Valley (and a rushed guided Navajo tour in the AM) was well worth the stop for us. We stayed at "The View" and it was a great place for sunrise.

Checking back on the trip pics, most of my CPL shots seem to be with the 17-85 and I was pleased with the results. I found it helpful in creating contrast for potential B&W shots and for slowing shutter speeds for waterfalls (although I used the ND for that more often than not).

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

doogle510
726 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 30, 2011 13:34 |  #12

happy I found this thread, I'm heading down there in Oct. can't wait

7D Mark ii l 100mm f/2.8 l 70-200mm f/2.8 l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 l Tamron 10-24mm l 430EXII
Flickr (external link)

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 31, 2011 10:47 |  #13

The September issue of Outdoor Photography has an article on the Grand Canyon with some tips and locations.

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

crawf71
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 31, 2011 10:53 |  #14

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals.

I will look into Bryce Canyon. Didn't even give it a thought until I saw your pics. What is Sedona all about, all I can find is info on day spas.... Wife might like that, but I'll pass :)

We will be driving through monument valley and valley of the gods. However we are only given ourselves 1 day for that. Basically the drive from Grand Canyon to Moab.

The awesome part is I got rooms in Tusayan, AZ for 56 dollars a night at Holiday Inn Express. And Moab, UT 74.00 a night at Best Western.

Chris

woolbr8stl
552 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 31, 2011 11:10 |  #15

Monument valley is one of my favorites. Go on a guided tour if you have time. The tour road is horrendous and needs 4wd vehicles . Shoot some images from the restaurant balcony at The View Hotel located right in the valley

Images I took in Utah including Monument Valley

http://www.flickr.com …ctions/72157624​868206017/ (external link)

| 5D mk iv | 6D | Panasonic GX7 | 15mm FE | Sigma 20/1.8 | 24L | 35L | Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 85 Art |
~~ Blog (external link) ~~ Website (external link) ~~ flickr (external link) ~~ Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

3,193 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grand Canyon - Canyonlands - Arches
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.