Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice for buying first flash?

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 31, 2011 18:10 |  #1

Hello everyone! After shooting a gig this past weekend and noticing how difficult it was to shoot without a speedlight, i decided to buy a budget one. I've been eying the Yongnuo 560 for it's budget price and was wondering, is it possible to use it on the hotshoe of my 60D? I understand that it's not e-ttl. Is auto really that much of a necessity? I shoot mostly in manual mode anyways so that's why i'm asking. I'm more concern about the purchase since if i buy the 560, place it on my hotshoe, set the manual settings on the flash, it should be triggered to go off if i pressed the shutter button right?

Any tips would really help! I have roughly 100 dollars to spend at the moment.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 31, 2011 18:20 |  #2

BryantFC wrote in post #13032289 (external link)
Hello everyone! After shooting a gig this past weekend and noticing how difficult it was to shoot without a speedlight, i decided to buy a budget one. I've been eying the Yongnuo 560 for it's budget price and was wondering, is it possible to use it on the hotshoe of my 60D? I understand that it's not e-ttl. Is auto really that much of a necessity? I shoot mostly in manual mode anyways so that's why i'm asking. I'm more concern about the purchase since if i buy the 560, place it on my hotshoe, set the manual settings on the flash, it should be triggered to go off if i pressed the shutter button right?

Any tips would really help! I have roughly 100 dollars to spend at the moment.

yes, it will work but I think your first flash should include ETTL and manual controls like the Yongnuo YN465, YN467, YN468 etc. or a Nissin, Sunpak or a used Canon.
ETTL is handy for events, holidays, etc. where you don't have a lot of time and you can just set the flash and get good results. (remember to bounce the light!)

BryantFC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 31, 2011 18:23 |  #3

watt100 wrote in post #13032327 (external link)
yes, it will work but I think your first flash should include ETTL and manual controls like the Yongnuo YN465, YN467, YN468 etc. or a Nissin, Sunpak or a used Canon.
ETTL is handy for events, holidays, etc. where you don't have a lot of time and you can just set the flash and get good results. (remember to bounce the light!)

Ah, thanks! i was looking at the YN460 II and it seemed pretty good to go about at only about ten more dollars than the 560. The new 565 version has E-TTL but it's around 180.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 31, 2011 19:02 as a reply to  @ BryantFC's post |  #4

ETTL is handy for events, holidays, etc.

Yes more than handy when you don't have the opportunity to take a test shot. Camera on manual set exposure for background. Flash on ETTL adjust FEC to set it's brightness - usually -1 stop or so.

Richard
Gear

BryantFC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 31, 2011 19:46 |  #5

I decided to go for a yongnuo yn467. Hopefully it'll fulfill my current needs for a first flash.

ColemanLee09
66 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 01, 2011 04:11 |  #6

looking for first flash also, just casual use, how does the 430ex ii sound for me? any suggestions?

Canon 60D - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Speedlite 430EX II + Diffuser

Pierceclothier
100 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 01, 2011 04:39 |  #7

ColemanLee09 wrote in post #13034449 (external link)
looking for first flash also, just casual use, how does the 430ex ii sound for me? any suggestions?

That is was my first flash, I think it is great!

For the OP, It might be better investment to buy one of the Canon Speedlites (either the 430 EX II or the 580 EX) as there is a nifty feature on the 60D that lets you use the flash wirelessly!

It may come in handy later on, never know, it is just a thought.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List: Canon 60D | Canon 400D + Battery Grip | 50mm 1.4 | 17-40mm F4 L | 200mm F2.8 II L (FOR SALE) | 430EX II
Wish-list: Beauty Dish | Fast and smaller then 50mm Lens

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,263 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 01, 2011 13:04 |  #8

Pierceclothier wrote in post #13034526 (external link)

For the OP, It might be better investment to buy one of the Canon Speedlites (either the 430 EX II or the 580 EX) as there is a nifty feature on the 60D that lets you use the flash wirelessly!

Any EX model flash that has slave capability can be used wirelessly with the 60D this includes: 420EX, 430EX, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EX and 580EXii. It doesn't include: the 220EX and 270EX models but does include the new 270EXii and 320EX, both of which can be used as slaves.

If you can save up another fifty bucks or so, a used 430EX (at about $150) would be a good starter flash and could be used wirelessly with the 7D plus it has the capability of hi speed sync (all EX flashes have this capability) so you can use the 430EX as flash fill outdoors without worrying about the maximum shutter speed at which you are shooting.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 01, 2011 14:41 |  #9

Call me a purist, but I don’t like putting anything on my hotshoe that wasn’t specifically designed to be there in the first place.
Cheap electronics on an expensive (to me anyway) body just doesn’t seem like a smart choice. With that in mind I put up the extra coin for my personal sense of security with the 430 EX II

For off camera flash I will look seriously at the YN-565’s for umbrella’s and Softboxes.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 01, 2011 18:20 |  #10

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #13036738 (external link)
Call me a purist, but I don’t like putting anything on my hotshoe that wasn’t specifically designed to be there in the first place.
Cheap electronics on an expensive (to me anyway) body just doesn’t seem like a smart choice. With that in mind I put up the extra coin for my personal sense of security with the 430 EX II

For off camera flash I will look seriously at the YN-565’s for umbrella’s and Softboxes.

surprisingly the YN flashes were designed for the hot shoe in the first (and second) place!
I'm also a purist - for the best value !

SamFrench
876 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 01, 2011 19:17 |  #11

I love this thread......all this discussion of "cheap" and "expensive" electronics makes me very curious as to what these flashes cost to make and how much of the price goes to marketing / advertising and even profit, etc. Who tears apart electronics and posts to the web? Is it "ifixt" or somebody like that - I've seen some posts about what the iphone tear down reveals for costs........interesti​ng

BryantFC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 08, 2011 18:28 |  #12

Pierceclothier wrote in post #13034526 (external link)

Yeah, the YN-467 i picked up can be used off the camera in slave mode and only by being triggered with the on board flash. I might pick up a YN-560 to use as the off shoe flash with the 467 as the trigger or maybe buying a trigger instead. As for buying a canon brand, i'd love to but budget is a bit tight nowadays. I also only use the flash for concert and here or there portrait photography. Thanks for the info and advice though guys!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 10, 2011 05:24 |  #13

SamFrench wrote in post #13037859 (external link)
I love this thread......all this discussion of "cheap" and "expensive" electronics makes me very curious as to what these flashes cost to make and how much of the price goes to marketing / advertising and even profit, etc.

Cost accounting can be interesting!

sponsored links

2,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice for buying first flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.