Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Aug 2011 (Monday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #342 - Where's Waldo? - Part A, The Contrarian

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 30, 2011 05:55 as a reply to  @ post 13023405 |  #16

:)

[SIZE=3]Congratulation​s to the winner Maureen
and to Teekay and Linda
great story and photo captured Maureen
lol

and Teekay, its great to see that photo

not too sure but I remember something about someone who invented the vehicle sadly died as he went too fast and over a cliff himself last year , or the year before
(in the UK.. I think)
( while riding it ) :confused:
lesson maybe is not to go too near cliffs or drops like it :shock:
as you will know anyway
but as I said , am not too sure of what I remember
and will be happy to be corrected if need be.

I loved Linda's picture too
had a good laugh most especially at the skint sheep (s)...
:mrgreen:

:cool:
with thanks for hosting and judging the challenge Carlo
I never heard of 'where's waldo' but got the message,hopefully
lol
West End of London is its busiest touristy spot
this was at Piccadilly Circus
where the vehicle had to stop for a moment at traffic lights as it rounded the corner amidst tons of traffic , the driver is right iunder those huge massive bright advertising lights high up over Piccadilly seen the world over.
she was a brave soul.
one minute she was there, the next gone,,,,,,,,,
but lives to pick up more passengers
:D

Congratulations all

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

sponsored links
xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 30, 2011 06:13 |  #17

marie wrote in post #13023475 (external link)

[SIZE=3]
not too sure but I remember something about someone who invented the vehicle sadly died as he went too fast and over a cliff himself last year , or the year before
(in the UK.. I think)
( while riding it ) :confused:
lesson maybe is not to go too near cliffs or drops like it :shock:
as you will know anyway
but as I said , am not too sure of what I remember
and will be happy to be corrected if need be.

Marie - Seems he died being considerate and courteous (external link)

~ Wallace
Gear List

CarloY
THREAD ­ STARTER
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 30, 2011 07:15 as a reply to  @ xhack's post |  #18

Marie, Thanks for the background on W End/Picadilly. Sounds like a crowd magnet. I've never been there (most of my UK visits were outside of London and off to various corp customer locations... back when).

'"Where's Waldo?"' started as a series of kid's books in the late '80s. Kids were challenged to look at very busy crowd scenes and find Waldo (who always wore the same clothes... different than anyone else in the illustration). Basically, WW? is a game of find this one guy in a crowd. I simply morphed that into -- find some exception to the mix. Cheers.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 30, 2011 07:24 |  #19

A hearty congrats to Maureen and those who followed. Fun challenge Carlo. Yeah, my entry was a bit hmm...lackluster, okay, boring really. And as for the sizing, I'm having a small issue with regard to the sensitivity of my Mac mouse and the Elements resizing feature where even a most sensitive brush of the mouse will cause the 800 to scroll up or down if I'm not overly attentive. Anyway here's another boring attempt of the same scene of down-facing dominos:

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6069/6076993460_6447392738_o.jpg

Nice to have our power back after that nasty monster storm. Lots of trees are down in the community, I'm glad to say the beastly maples and oaks in our yard behaved themselves.

kevan's lens (external link)

JohnAskew3
55 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 30, 2011 08:12 |  #20

Congratulations to Mo, Teekay, and Linda for their winning images! Also congratulations to brother Jim for his honorable mention. This week's challenge had some interesting images which showed the creative skills of this group. You can take a G Series camera and a good eye and create results that are dazzling! The lady in my photo is Jim's and my aunt from Birmingham. We celebrated her 97th birthday on the Sunday before this challenge!

mrshobden
464 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 30, 2011 08:15 |  #21

CarloY wrote in post #13023692 (external link)
'"Where's Waldo?"' started as a series of kid's books in the late '80s. Kids were challenged to look at very busy crowd scenes and find Waldo (who always wore the same clothes... different than anyone else in the illustration). Basically, WW? is a game of find this one guy in a crowd. I simply morphed that into -- find some exception to the mix. Cheers.

In the UK the books were known as "Where's WALLY?" ...perhaps that's the origin of the phrase "being a wally" ....:)

Linda

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 30, 2011 09:42 as a reply to  @ mrshobden's post |  #22

Congratulations to Maureen, and thanks for the #2 spot, Carlo! An good subject this week and as usual I can now think of lots of better ideas that I could have used;)

CarloY
THREAD ­ STARTER
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 30, 2011 14:55 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #23

teekay,

I liked your shot alot. It was close.

as usual I can now think of lots of better ideas that I could have used

If you had that same setting and crispness quality... and had five people walking in the other direction, maybe with some facial expressions -- that would have been quite the photo. Still very good as is.

In San Francisco, you can rent a Segway as part of a tour of the city. It is kind of strange to see 10 or 12 people riding along the sidewalks -- somewhat grouped or clustered, but sometimes trailing one another after the mother like baby ducks. I imagine same thing in other major cities?

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 30, 2011 19:03 |  #24

xhack wrote in post #13023523 (external link)
Marie - Seems he died being considerate and courteous (external link)

thanks a lot for that.
I really appreciate it

I had been trying to find out this morning later as it was on my mind when adding to the thread
having found the inventor's name and reading all there was with no mention of him having died or had an accident,
yet I was fairly sure something had happened concerning someone closely connected with the Segway
:rolleyes:
I googled Segway and then Googled the inventor's name but no luck

soon as I looked and read the url you put here with the details it all came back to me and I remembered the man's face
I really was shocked at the time when it happened but the finer details slipped from the old brain
many thanks again.
very good of you

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 30, 2011 19:07 |  #25

CarloY wrote in post #13023692 (external link)
Marie, Thanks for the background on W End/Picadilly. Sounds like a crowd magnet. I've never been there (most of my UK visits were outside of London and off to various corp customer locations... back when).

many thanks for that information Carlo. :)

I have just seen the lovely set up you displayed with the photos above

don't know how I missed seeing those this morning. they look very well

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105

CarloY
THREAD ­ STARTER
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 30, 2011 21:20 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #26

lovely set up you displayed with the photos above

In the spirit of the "Contrarian", each one is out-of-the-box. :razz: Thank you.

Maybe, ...someday ...we'll have "Where's Waldo - part B".

KC ­ Jewel
107 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 01, 2011 02:28 as a reply to  @ CarloY's post |  #27

Great pictures, I"ve been gone for a while, I was here when you started the speed challenges. I better get back to taking pics.
John

G6, 420EX, Converter W/filters, 2X Xtend-a-view, 45mm red dot speed sight with Photosolve Xtend-a-sight mount.

PaulChad
21 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 03, 2011 13:38 |  #28

With regards to Segways, I was surprised to see the local bobbies using these in Dinard, Brittany, a few weeks ago

Paul

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 11, 2011 04:54 |  #29

PaulChad wrote in post #13046006 (external link)
With regards to Segways, I was surprised to see the local bobbies using these in Dinard, Brittany, a few weeks ago

Paul

so am I Paul

:eek:

(good shot to get)

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105

sponsored links

5,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #342 - Where's Waldo? - Part A, The Contrarian
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.