Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 May 2009 (Monday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

gear in the bag question...

blondine
Goldmember
1,273 posts
Joined May 2008

May 11, 2009 11:57 |  #1

do you keep your camera, lens & hood together when you put it in your camera bag?

reason I'm asking is I always have, but at a recent visit to the camera store the clerk there told me not to do it anymore. I was like, why? he just said it'll damage your gear and walked off (um, thanks for all the info "da").....anyways sofar no damage to my gear! :cool: what about yours?

Blondine

:D Canon 5D Mark II ~ EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 7D ~ Nifty 50 ~ EFS17-85mm IS USM

sponsored links
birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 11, 2009 12:31 |  #2

yes, all together. I think there is more chance for damage every time I change lenses, take a hood off or put it on, every cycle of every interface is a potential for damage. I leave it all together and the only thing I can think of that I am risking is if I drop it there is more mass and leverage against the lens mount.
comparing the number of times I have dropped my camera (0) vs the number of times I have introduced dust into the body during a lens change or cross threaded a hood(uncountable) I choose to leave it all together as much as possible.
Counter help will give bad advice for many reasons, sometimes just to hear their own voice, sometimes because of one instance they heard of from a customer or friend, sometimes to help sell an item or service.
This guy might like to come off as the expert, he may have heard of someone that dropped their bag and said the lens mount would have been OK if they had just seperated everything as they put it away, or he makes extra bucks doing sensor cleaning and wants all his customers taking their lenses on and off as much as possible.
If you are really worried about it, ditch the bag and get a pelican box. no worries.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

jdlloyd67
I'm a POTN-aholic!
1,565 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 11, 2009 12:44 as a reply to  @ birdfromboat's post |  #3

I read a comment by the guy that runs The-Digital-Picture (external link) website that he uses seperate lens cases for each and every lens and keeps them all in a plastic bin. I am thinking that I might go this way if my gear ever becomes to cumbersome to keep together in one bag. For now though, it all fits nicely into on bag that I throw over my shoulder as I head out the door.

- Dave -
7D | 40D | Canon 24-105 ƒ/4L | Canon 70-200mm ƒ/4L | Canon EF-s 60mm ƒ/2.8 | Tamron 28-75mm ƒ/2.8

DL Digital Images (external link) | Facebook (external link)

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 11, 2009 14:16 |  #4

I can find you a camera store clerk that will say just the opposite!

I keep the 24-70 mounted with hood on in my case all the time. My other body stays with the body cap on cause which lens I put on there depends upon the shooting situation.

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

blondine
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,273 posts
Joined May 2008

May 11, 2009 17:38 |  #5

birdfromboat wrote in post #7899990 (external link)
yes, all together. I think there is more chance for damage every time I change lenses, take a hood off or put it on, every cycle of every interface is a potential for damage. I leave it all together and the only thing I can think of that I am risking is if I drop it there is more mass and leverage against the lens mount.
comparing the number of times I have dropped my camera (0) vs the number of times I have introduced dust into the body during a lens change or cross threaded a hood(uncountable) I choose to leave it all together as much as possible.
Counter help will give bad advice for many reasons, sometimes just to hear their own voice, sometimes because of one instance they heard of from a customer or friend, sometimes to help sell an item or service.
This guy might like to come off as the expert, he may have heard of someone that dropped their bag and said the lens mount would have been OK if they had just seperated everything as they put it away, or he makes extra bucks doing sensor cleaning and wants all his customers taking their lenses on and off as much as possible.
If you are really worried about it, ditch the bag and get a pelican box. no worries.

thanks for taking the time to reply, I did feel this specific clerk did'nt have alot of experience; but did want to hear what everyone else was doing... I just would hate to have to grab my gear assemble then use it...the moment could be gone by that time.

jdlloyd67 wrote in post #7900066 (external link)
I read a comment by the guy that runs The-Digital-Picture (external link) website that he uses seperate lens cases for each and every lens and keeps them all in a plastic bin. I am thinking that I might go this way if my gear ever becomes to cumbersome to keep together in one bag. For now though, it all fits nicely into on bag that I throw over my shoulder as I head out the door.

thanks for replying, I have both camera's in a sep. bag with their flashe / CF cards / cables.... just the over shoulder bag, I like those the best.

spkerer wrote in post #7900625 (external link)
I can find you a camera store clerk that will say just the opposite!

I keep the 24-70 mounted with hood on in my case all the time. My other body stays with the body cap on cause which lens I put on there depends upon the shooting situation.

Yah, walked into Henry's today to buy a larger CF card asked the clerk the same question, he said he'd think it smarter to keep the hood on the lense, especially if I had the room in my bag.

thanks for replying!

Blondine

:D Canon 5D Mark II ~ EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 7D ~ Nifty 50 ~ EFS17-85mm IS USM

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 11, 2009 17:56 |  #6

I remember a topic a while back about the same thing. Basically the idea of having a large lens (70-200 f/2.8 for example) attached if the bag were to be dropped or something it could put stress on the mount. I don't toss my bag around anyways so I'm not concerned about this with my lenses (none of them are very big anyways).

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 12, 2009 04:19 |  #7

I do, generally. Only when travelling long distance do I separate.

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

DeaconG
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 12, 2009 16:08 |  #8

I always buy bags that can accomodate my 50D + 70-200 2.8 IS with the lens hood reversed-it's a bigger pain in the butt to have it separate.

Gripped 5D Mark II & 50D|70-200 2.8 IS L|24-105 L|17-55|10-22|28 1.8|Σ 150-500|Σ 120-300 EX DG|Σ 50 1.4 EX|Σ APO 2X TC|580EXII|various other bits and pieces
"Reality holds surprises for everyone!" King Solovar, Crisis On Infinite Earths

fishfoto
-Krazy Glue-
840 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 15, 2009 12:14 |  #9

Do NOT travel with your camera/lens combo connected.

Here's why:
http://boardingarea.co​m …-attach-your-camera-lens/ (external link)

Happy Flying!

- Fish
http://www.instagram.c​om/flyingwithfish (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 15, 2009 15:00 |  #10

When I am flying, I usually have no lens mounted on the body, not because of my understanding of complicated laws of physics, but because that's how I can fit all my gear into my bag. I am very careful not to let anything bang or hit my bag.

When I am taking my rolling luggage camera bag, then everything is separated inside. My 200L detached in one section, my cameras in another, etc...

When I am roaming about on the streets shooting, a lens is always mounted.

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

May 15, 2009 15:05 |  #11

I always keep it together so I can take it right out for a shot.

Gear List
ACCD

superstes
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2009 06:06 |  #12

I always keep my hoods on and never use the caps, to tricky.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2009 06:09 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

If I was not going to bring it on board a plane with me as luggage that you can bring aboard, I would then take the lens off

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 01, 2011 09:33 |  #14

I have flyed alot with my gear...

I have everything with me into the plane. I have a backpack, with enough space for two cameras, one 135mm, kenko tubes, flash, and two more lenses. And I have a seperate room for my laptop. All this I bring with me as handbaggage into the plane. I would never bring expensive equipment into the care (misscare) of airport crew.

Since I am carying the bag myselves, I know how it will be threated, and then it is really no big question if the lens is on or not.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 01, 2011 10:10 as a reply to  @ kent andersen's post |  #15

Camera goes back in the bag with whichever lens happens to be currently mounted on it. Lenses not on the camera are capped at both ends.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

sponsored links

2,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
gear in the bag question...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.