Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Aug 2011 (Monday) 20:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Tax info for Canada and small business..

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2011 20:23 |  #1

Hello all,
I am looking for info on Canadian small/home business taxes. Particularly tax submission, writeoffs etc.

Any help appreciated.

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 29, 2011 20:24 |  #2

Are there no accountants in Canada?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 30, 2011 00:36 |  #3

I use H&R Block, its about 300$ the last time i used it, honestly, you could probably do it yourself, but i just like to play it safe. I saw about 3 agents there, and ended up with the most competent that either knew the answers to my questions or wasnt afraid to pull out whichever giant book it was located in.

This does not mean book-keeping though, i do that on my own, i just come to them with my final numbers and they go over them with me, they plug them in the proper places, make the proper calculations, let me know how much i owe/be owed, and submit it via their system.

You may want to ask for a specific BC Based answer, because regulations may differ in each area of canada, theres a few things i know but im in Qc, no idea if they'll apply to you. Most everything that is used solely for business is business deductible, but certain things will not be used if you're already in the negative and will be banked.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 30, 2011 16:19 as a reply to  @ Csae's post |  #4

Find yourself an accountant. You can do all your record keeping yourself as someone else said but if you try and do your own taxes you are going to miss something or claim more than you should which will invite a visit from the taxman which is not pleasant. They will come up with a schedule of depreciation on your equipment and be able to tell you what you can get away with as far as deducting part of your vehicle and other expenses. I would never go into business without one of these and a lawyer.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 01, 2011 08:37 |  #5

You appear to be in BC, try contacting your local Resource Center for Small Business.

Here is their website: http://www.resourcecen​tre.gov.bc.ca/publicat​ions.htm (external link)

In Manitoba we have our own provincial one, and they have a ton of resources for small businesses to help them get all the information they need to get started including tax and accounting information.

It won't replace your need for an accountant, but depending on the size of your business and if it is a sole proprietorship you may find that you are better off just adding your income and expenses to your personal income taxes as opposed to a separate business return.

hope this helps

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2011 14:24 |  #6

i_am_cdn wrote in post #13035069 (external link)
You appear to be in BC, try contacting your local Resource Center for Small Business.

Here is their website: http://www.resourcecen​tre.gov.bc.ca/publicat​ions.htm (external link)

In Manitoba we have our own provincial one, and they have a ton of resources for small businesses to help them get all the information they need to get started including tax and accounting information.

It won't replace your need for an accountant, but depending on the size of your business and if it is a sole proprietorship you may find that you are better off just adding your income and expenses to your personal income taxes as opposed to a separate business return.

hope this helps

thanks for this! I am a sloe proprietorship, just me and my cameras working out of my apt doing weddings and things, no studio or building. Just want to do things right.

If I add any earnings/expenses to my personal income taxes, I assume it has a place to take gst/hst/pst into account? I have a business number and gst/hst number too.

Thanks!

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

lori6666
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 02, 2011 11:33 as a reply to  @ brit84's post |  #7

Become a Limited Company. You will only pay 14% tax versus being a sole propriorter paying 30%. An accountant can help you with what you need to do to set it up and a lawyer can register the name. This is the way I did it.

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2011 12:20 |  #8

Ive registered the name already through the province's online business reg process.
Guess I will look around for an accountant for some advice, doing things a little rushed and backwards it would appear.
I have registered for a gst/hst number but have now found that under 30k in a quarter or four consecutive quarters there is no need to do this.....I do not expect to go over this amount.

thanks again

Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Tax info for Canada and small business..
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.