Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next

Post your best FLAKE excuses =)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 20, 2011 07:52 |  #181

Subscribing with popcorn in hand.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 20, 2011 09:40 |  #182

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12966791 (external link)
While this is true, many of us do unpaid work as well as paid work.
The concept of TFP is not reserved for the beginner. I for one like to help a new model build their portfolio and their experience every once in a while. In return, I get a lot of creative freedom, and some photos that I might not otherwise have gotten.
Not to mention a few hours of fun shooting.

Can still do all of this while getting properly compensated. Offer discounts when it works.

My time is precious and it's the only thing I have. It's finite and I have no idea when it ends. I place a high value on that time and I just don't give it away for nothing.

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 20, 2011 10:38 |  #183

BoneJj wrote in post #12967389 (external link)
What bag are you using that has room for that big of a tarp?

The ultra lightweight ones are remarkably small, so finding room for one is not that difficult.
For various gear (most things other than cameras and lenses), I use a few different bags. I have Blackhawk and 5.11 range bags that have served me well for years.

dsmPhotoCompany wrote in post #12967755 (external link)
Can still do all of this while getting properly compensated. Offer discounts when it works.

My time is precious and it's the only thing I have. It's finite and I have no idea when it ends. I place a high value on that time and I just don't give it away for nothing.

BS.

With a business to run, time is not exactly the thing I have most of. And every minute is worth something.

Helping people get started, is something I find the time for, because I like doing it. And that time is re-payed with a fair amount of exposure. I get inquiries for payed work, from people who have only seen the things I have done for free. Helping one person, may very well mean that their entire family and friends will know your name when they need a photographer. It happens more than you might think.
Not to mention the agencies that also see that persons portfolio.

It's perfectly fine that you don't WAN'T to do that. But don't make it sound like you are simply to important.
Time is something you take.

And seriously.. If you don't have 2 hours every once in a while, you are running your business the wrong way.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 20, 2011 10:46 |  #184

TooManyHobbies wrote in post #7590202 (external link)
You should read the MM rules. They list all the things they will kick you off or suspend you for. No negativity allowed. No code words or coded list names, etc.

I looked over your work. Nice stuff.

I also searched MM in my area.

On the results page: about 150
Of the first 75 or so, active in 2011 at all: 25
Have at least one photo not taken with a P&S or phone: 6
Of the remaining 5, number which had anything like a good photograph: 2

So, is MM a place filled with people who just want to say they model, like a FB brag?

I wonder how MM makes money. They are charging someone.

MM reminds me of the old local scene where girl goes and pays for a photo shoot for a 'portfolio' at a 'modelling agency' -- and they are still in my area, and appear to be doing fine -- but MM is 'free' because people will shoot TFP.

I think that is interesting, because now, on the flip side, we have anyone with a camera and an e-mail account who can say s/he is a photog.

I did notice that many accounts, such as yours, list the facility and a few rules. Those look more legit than a lot of profiles.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 20, 2011 10:56 |  #185

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12967956 (external link)
BS.

With a business to run, time is not exactly the thing I have most of. And every minute is worth something.

Helping people get started, is something I find the time for, because I like doing it. And that time is re-payed with a fair amount of exposure. I get inquiries for payed work, from people who have only seen the things I have done for free. Helping one person, may very well mean that their entire family and friends will know your name when they need a photographer. It happens more than you might think.
Not to mention the agencies that also see that persons portfolio.

It's perfectly fine that you don't WAN'T to do that. But don't make it sound like you are simply to important.
Time is something you take.

And seriously.. If you don't have 2 hours every once in a while, you are running your business the wrong way.

It's not BS. I have plenty of "2 hours every once in a while". Unlike some, I value my time and want to spend time with family and friends. I love having a camera in my hand - but it does not consume me.

You can still help a person get started by receiving compensation. The work given away is not valued even remotely as much as the work that is commissioned.

Agencies see our portraits all the time - rarely is it work we did uncommissioned. "Getting noticed" is not a reason to do work for free - more times than not it doesn't pan out.

Do we shoot TF*? Yes - but it's extremely rare and we're certainly not finding a random model on MM and scheduling a session. Everything we do requires planning and a time investment up front from our client.

There are plenty weighing in on this subject giving some rather strong "opinions" without any real experience to back it up.

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 20, 2011 11:00 |  #186

S.Horton wrote in post #12967985 (external link)
I looked over your work. Nice stuff.

I also searched MM in my area.

On the results page: about 150
Of the first 75 or so, active in 2011 at all: 25
Have at least one photo not taken with a P&S or phone: 6
Of the remaining 5, number which had anything like a good photograph: 2

So, is MM a place filled with people who just want to say they model, like a FB brag?

I wonder how MM makes money. They are charging someone.

Is it really that bad?
I have heard a lot about that site, but thought it was at least slightly usable.

Why would any professional wan't to deal with that sort of stuff?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 21, 2011 10:13 |  #187

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12968054 (external link)
Is it really that bad?
I have heard a lot about that site, but thought it was at least slightly usable.

Why would any professional wan't to deal with that sort of stuff?

Some people have the tolerance and/or time to wade through the mud to get to the gems. Some people don't.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Cpt.Vanquisher
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 29, 2011 05:08 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #188

I got a rather funny excuse last saturday. For tonight I had planned a shoot at a lake with a 16 year old model with little experience. She had contacted me via a mutual friend and I deceided to give her a chance on some very strict conditions. Her mother had to be present the entire time, she needed to come up with a good concept, etc. Everything was planned in the following 4-5 weeks and she came up with some great ideas, but last Saturday she send me an e-mail saying she had gained to much weight. Probably she got an extra 20lb while sleeping. :)

Bert
gear - modelmayhem (external link) - facebook (external link) - blog (external link)

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2011 13:42 as a reply to  @ Cpt.Vanquisher's post |  #189

Lord knows I've had more than my share of flakey models. But the worst was just recently when I actually had a model show up, and then flake AFTER she arrived.

She showed up and everything seemed fine. She sat through hair and makeup, and just as we were about to start the shoot, the makeup artist comes to me and says "we have a problem". Her excuse was that she didn't like the way her makeup was done, and wanted to remove it all so she could do her own makeup the way SHE wanted. Her makeup was perfect BTW. The makeup artist is one of the best around. She was just flaking.

I had the whole crew trying to reassure her that she looked great, etc. but to no avail. She then gave another BS excuse saying that she was tired and wanted to go home, and got up and walked right off the set. It's the first time that's ever happened to me on a shoot. We all stood around dumbfounded at what just took place. It still blows my mind when I think about it.

Bilsen
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 02, 2011 14:44 |  #190

Ledrak wrote in post #13041769 (external link)
Lord knows I've had more than my share of flakey models. But the worst was just recently when I actually had a model show up, and then flake AFTER she arrived.

She showed up and everything seemed fine. She sat through hair and makeup, and just as we were about to start the shoot, the makeup artist comes to me and says "we have a problem". Her excuse was that she didn't like the way her makeup was done, and wanted to remove it all so she could do her own makeup the way SHE wanted. Her makeup was perfect BTW. The makeup artist is one of the best around. She was just flaking.

I had the whole crew trying to reassure her that she looked great, etc. but to no avail. She then gave another BS excuse saying that she was tired and wanted to go home, and got up and walked right off the set. It's the first time that's ever happened to me on a shoot. We all stood around dumbfounded at what just took place. It still blows my mind when I think about it.

DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER :D

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

Neiby
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 06, 2011 13:26 |  #191

I'm new to MM and haven't had any luck yet. Well, I do have one experienced model I've talked to who seems to be flat-out awesome, but I'm not experienced enough to work with someone like that. I'm very new to shooting people instead of landscapes, nature and architecture. I've already had the "Hey, I'd love to work with you!" person who just disappears and stops responding to messages even though I can see that she reads them.

Then yesterday I had my first scheduled shoot...and the model flaked on me. She later replied to apologize saying that she decided to go swimming with her friends, instead. WTF?

Equipment: Canon 60D | Canon 18-200mm | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II

Bilsen
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 06, 2011 17:01 |  #192

Neiby wrote in post #13059548 (external link)
I'm new to MM and haven't had any luck yet. Well, I do have one experienced model I've talked to who seems to be flat-out awesome, but I'm not experienced enough to work with someone like that. I'm very new to shooting people instead of landscapes, nature and architecture. I've already had the "Hey, I'd love to work with you!" person who just disappears and stops responding to messages even though I can see that she reads them.

Then yesterday I had my first scheduled shoot...and the model flaked on me. She later replied to apologize saying that she decided to go swimming with her friends, instead. WTF?

Welcome to the Mayhem.

You might like my guidelines here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1051205

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

charlesu
Goldmember
4,316 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 17, 2011 21:03 |  #193

OK New ones. These are from the same model exactly 2 weeks apart.

Julia
09/04/11 8:37 AM
Hey, I am so sorry to do this, but my aunt has been in an accident so I need to get to charleston asap... I was really looking forward to shooting today... I would still love to shoot with you so please let me know whenever you have time, because I would love to do a shoot sometime! I can come up to your studio or whatever would work! Hope this isn't a super inconvenience...
Thanks
Julia

I am so sorry I had two finance tests yesterday and was so crazy studying I forgot about the shoot! I feel terrible to have forgotten and I was so looking forward to it! Let me know if we can reschedule at all...

Julia

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

Moppie
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 28, 2012 06:15 |  #194

Not a model flaking, but an artist who wants a photo to draw from, he sent me this message on facebook:

I'm cancelling
I've cut my thumb off.
Having to go to the doctor, will reschedule.

Only it turns out he really has cut the top of his thumb off and spent the afternoon at A&E getting it reattached......... :eek:

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 30, 2012 14:44 |  #195

Moppie wrote in post #14342847 (external link)
Not a model flaking, but an artist who wants a photo to draw from, he sent me this message on facebook:
Only it turns out he really has cut the top of his thumb off and spent the afternoon at A&E getting it reattached......... :eek:

What the crap? Did he have a circular saw accident? I've seen so many of those! Some people just shouldn't have power tools.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

72,494 views & 1 like for this thread
Post your best FLAKE excuses =)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.