Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a market for low end MLS/real estate photography?

crash331
194 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 01, 2011 12:01 |  #1

After looking for a house for a few months and then helping my cousin when he did the same, I came to realize that almost all of the photos on the MLS/real estate listings for houses less than 300k are of very poor quality.

They all look like they are taken with a P&S with no tripod, no wide angle lens, no photoshop, etc. I can't help but think a decent picture would help the house sell a little better.

Now, I'm not talking about some of the real estate photography you see on youtube for 3 million dollar homes using light painting and 8 hours in photoshop. I just mean get in, take some decent pictures with a wide angle lens with decent lighting, edit them for color/tone, give them to the listing agent and be on my way.

Anyone know of any agents that cater to homes in this market? Are they perfectly fine with snapping the photos themselves with $100 P&S cameras? Would they be willing to pay $50-100 to have decent photos taken?

7D | 30D | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX | 24-70L | 70-200L f/4 IS

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 01, 2011 12:04 |  #2

I doubt there is a market on the low end. I think most are happy with their $100 PS. I know my sister is and she does a bunch of listings every month.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,714 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2011 12:10 |  #3

If you know a high volume realtor, you might be able to convince them of the value of good pics and create your own market. But you will probably have to be doing high volume, low margin work.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 01, 2011 12:11 |  #4

You're looking at the low end. If an agent can snap a few shots with his P&S and still sell the house, he isn't going to give some of his percentage to a photographer of any level. If he is paying for pics, he's paying the least amount he can get away with paying. Your idea of low end is probably higher than what he needs.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

crash331
THREAD ­ STARTER
194 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 01, 2011 12:15 |  #5

Yeah, I guess there is a reason all the photos look so crappy.

I mean taking these "virtual tours" is laughable on most sites. They take something like a 200x200 pic and scale it up to 800x800 on my computer screen and then ZOOM INTO THE PICTURE with a Ken Burns effect. I mean zooming INTO an already pixelated picture?

I guess they just do what's cheapest/easiest and it sells just fine for them. I just know when I was looking I would have loved to have more detailed photos.

7D | 30D | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX | 24-70L | 70-200L f/4 IS

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 01, 2011 12:37 |  #6

Yeah they tend to do the minimal required effort. If the houses weren't selling I'm sure they'd rethink their approach. On the other hand, it might not matter with the housing bubble splattered all over the place.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 01, 2011 13:13 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

My brother-in-law is a high-end real estate appraiser. He hasn't appraised a house that wasn't selling in seven figures in almost ten years.

When he was running comps, he used an old Minolta P&S. I gave him my old digital Rebel, and he started using that.

He says the quality of the images didn't seem to impact anything...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 01, 2011 13:24 |  #8

BreitlingFan wrote in post #13036329 (external link)
My brother-in-law is a high-end real estate appraiser. He hasn't appraised a house that wasn't selling in seven figures in almost ten years.

When he was running comps, he used an old Minolta P&S. I gave him my old digital Rebel, and he started using that.

He says the quality of the images didn't seem to impact anything...

It's more than just a decent camera. I recently put my house in Fl up for rent and the thing rented within a day of being listed. The difference was that I took the time to properly photograph the house and the amenities while most people were just sending in pics taken with their iPhone. It definitely made a believer out of my property manager, of course, he just assumed it was the camera I used. :rolleyes:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

NickJushchyshyn
289 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 01, 2011 14:32 |  #9

The thing is that a "mid-range" to "high-end" home real estate shoot sells for $60-$100 flat rate regardless of distance or other expenses. This includes all the post production cleaning work and submission to an MLS compatible host so that the entire adventure is a turn-key experience for the realtor.

"Low end" doesn't want to pay this, so how much are you going to get for your time and travel and insurance cost where, in this market, the realtor has no idea how long it will be before the home ever sells. The realtor is already at the house with their cell phone or P&S and get photos posted to the listing for "free" ... so that's what you're competing against.

Is that something you really want to "win"?

www.techvantics.com (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 01, 2011 14:41 |  #10

Can only comment on the UK but I've spoken to several estate agents in the past and found them to be absolutely clueless.

As they are all equally as bad (gross simplification) they do not see the value-add in improving as what they do is good enough and to "market standards".

You would like to think that they would spot a gap in the market and take the attitude that if they deliver their selling clients a much better product then this would be to their advantage - but no, free but crap beats good and cheap any day.

High end agents dealing with properties in the multi Million price range "may" be prepared to spend but that's about it - lower end properties of say £100K to £250K generate such low profits for them that a £100 photography fee becomes significant.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 01, 2011 14:57 |  #11

NickJushchyshyn wrote in post #13036690 (external link)
The thing is that a "mid-range" to "high-end" home real estate shoot sells for $60-$100 flat rate regardless of distance or other expenses. This includes all the post production cleaning work and submission to an MLS compatible host so that the entire adventure is a turn-key experience for the realtor.

Is that something you really want to "win"?

This is completely false.

That being said, don't bother with low end real estate photography, it's like squeezing blood from a rock.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 01, 2011 15:27 |  #12

I got my real estate license in June of 2006.... talk about bad timing. Our local MLS (multi-listing service) had restrictions on photo resolution, etc. In other words, it didn't matter how good your camera was, the photos always looked grainy. I used a Canon A640 and my photos looked good on my computer until I sent them to MLS... then they looked like they were taken with a rock. Back then, it wouldn't have mattered if I was shooting with a 5D. Things might be different now. I had to find another way to make money so I've been out of it for a while.

Where I see a difference now is in the private realtor sights. Some of them have very nicely done tours and sets of photographs.

Kim

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 01, 2011 16:12 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #13036039 (external link)
If you know a high volume realtor, you might be able to convince them of the value of good pics and create your own market. But you will probably have to be doing high volume, low margin work.

What you need to convince them of is that their time is more valuable than yours...

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

NickJushchyshyn
289 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 02, 2011 12:54 |  #14

mikekelley wrote in post #13036808 (external link)
This is completely false.

Just reporting the conditions in my area. They are what they are. I would expect things to be different depending on regional market trends.

www.techvantics.com (external link)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 02, 2011 20:27 |  #15

NickJushchyshyn wrote in post #13041586 (external link)
Just reporting the conditions in my area. They are what they are. I would expect things to be different depending on regional market trends.

I have to agree with Mike.
Your info says Philly area.
I find it hard to believe one cannot carve out a decent number of properties listing at 500k and above in your area.
That is the point where agents start thinking of stepping up their game with photography.

In some areas the market is so depressed that no one will buy but that is not true for most of the country.

sponsored links

2,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a market for low end MLS/real estate photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.