Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Sep 2011 (Friday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lake shot for C&C

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 02, 2011 21:51 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 03, 2011 02:00 |  #2

It looks odd to me - rather as if the clouds are floating on the water.

David

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 03, 2011 02:12 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #3

You made the reflection in PS right? When something in the distance reflects off something relatively near the camera it's shape gets stretched toward the camera, not a perfect mirror image as you created. That's why it looks odd to me.

Richard
Gear

kaiden
54 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 03, 2011 02:29 |  #4

I like the clouds in the water... I don't really shoot landscapes at all but this is nice...

Canon 7D / 70-200mm 2.8L IS II / 85mm 1.2L / 24mm 1.4L ....

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
13,002 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 03, 2011 03:43 |  #5

Clever, but seems odd in some way.

Still can't work out if I like it or not

Bas (external link)

frankk
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 03, 2011 04:37 |  #6

Frugal wrote in post #13044344 (external link)
You made the reflection in PS right?

The reflection is real. There was no wind...just blue skies and a few clouds. I shot it at 16mm so there's a bit of distortion at the corners/edges.

I did some basic processing in ACR - clarity, vibrance, saturation, tone curve, and a bump to blue & green in HSL. I also fixed the horizon and cloned out some glare.

In PP, I used a curve to brighten things up, an exposure mask on the back trees, and a vibrance mask to add a bit of additional color to the front flowers.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 03, 2011 05:35 as a reply to  @ frankk's post |  #7

Looks alright to me, with the exception of the horizon line splitting the frame...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

frankk
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 03, 2011 16:54 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #8

Several folks have used the term 'odd'. I agree, there's an unnatural aspect. I'm not sure if it's the unusual reflective water or something I did in post. This is SOOC:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

frankk
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 03, 2011 17:05 |  #9

argyle wrote in post #13044635 (external link)
the horizon line splitting the frame...

Yes, broke the rules here. I wasn't creative enough to come up with a way to compose it without losing the powerful reflection.

drumnut01
415 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 04, 2011 01:53 |  #10

frankk wrote in post #13046738 (external link)
Yes, broke the rules here. I wasn't creative enough to come up with a way to compose it without losing the powerful reflection.

Rules are made to be broken. If we all followed them, life would be boring.

My thoughts on rules has always been that you should know them and understand them, but that doesn't mean that you have to follow them.

I love the photo.

Feedback

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2011 03:55 |  #11

I think it's odd because it's so pure. Water is rarely that still and reflective. You caught a special moment. It's a great shot and should be on the wall real big. And nice PP too.

-- Image Editing OK --

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 07, 2011 06:11 |  #12

frankk wrote in post #13046738 (external link)

I wouldn't exactly call it 'powerful', but it is a good reflection. There's some dead space at the top (from just above the left cloud) that isn't adding anything to the shot (it's not picked up in the reflection anyway). This could be removed, bringing up the horizon off dead center (not all composing is done in the camera...some is done in post in order to get the most pleasing image...each shot doesn't necessarily need to be the entire frame). Sometimes a centered horizon works in reflection shots where you have perfect symmetry, in others it doesn't. Just a suggestion to improve the image...you're free to disregard.

GEAR LIST

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 07, 2011 06:19 |  #13

drumnut01 wrote in post #13048251 (external link)
Rules are made to be broken. If we all followed them, life would be boring.

My thoughts on rules has always been that you should know them and understand them, but that doesn't mean that you have to follow them.

I love the photo.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that line throughout my forty years in photography, either as a photographer or as a judge. Nine times out of ten, those that disregard even the most basic rules of composition typically end up with a poorly judged image. The exception is if the image is spectacular in other ways (but that's a rarity anyway). But if the goal is not improvement, but just getting pats on the back...

GEAR LIST

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2011 21:31 |  #14

frankk wrote in post #13046692 (external link)
Several folks have used the term 'odd'. I agree, there's an unnatural aspect. I'm not sure if it's the unusual reflective water or something I did in post. This is SOOC:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I guess this puts the assumption that the reflection was fake to bed.....LOL

That whole thing about trying to explain 'why' the reflection was fake....LOL....that made me laugh.

The center horizon is the real issue with this image. I have seen images with the horizon in the center and it worked for those images, but that is rare. I think if you had composed for more foreground in the image it would have made all the difference. Since I was not there, that is just an assumption, but it seems like the foreground was adding more colors and would have moved the horizon up.

For the record, I am not a die hard 'rule of thirds' guy. With landscapes, especially ones with sky, I also like to consider the rule of fifths. Sometimes thirds is better, sometimes fifths is better. But, one thing they both have in common.....nothing is in the middle. ;) Just off center is usually best.

EDIT: I just looked at the image again, and what I would suggest is that next time you get a situation like this, compose the shot so that the empty sky is less. There is a little too much blue sky above the clouds. Crop that down some and consider including more foreground.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2011 22:01 as a reply to  @ TGrundvig's post |  #15

Here is a quick edit to show you what I am talking about. Obviously, I can not create more foreground, but by cropping the top and right side it changes the image.

I am not saying this is perfect or even close to it, but I just wanted to show how a different composition changes the image. Notice how the sky doesn't over power the image any more and how the foreground has more weight. It is all about putting things in balance. One of the best things I remember being told was this: "Look at your image and ask yourself, does everything contribute to the visual statement I am trying to make? If not, then recompose. If so, then shoot it." When you look through your viewfinder you have to ask yourself 'what is the first thing I notice?' Then, decide if that is the visual statement you are trying to make.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

sponsored links

2,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lake shot for C&C
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.