Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 30 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 05:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opinions about my video

sebmour
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 30, 2011 05:58 |  #1

What do you think of this video that I made for auto123.com?

2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600 & 750 on track test (external link)

Thank you for your time

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 30, 2011 12:20 |  #2

Honestly? This looks like pro work. *two thumbs up*
If I was forced to knit-pick at gun point, I'd say the two riders talking looked a bit forced/fake. It was a good touch to humanize the riders, but they were still sitting on the bikes as if someone said "just sit there for a bit and act like you're having a conversation". Not like they were standing with the bikes in the fore or background and actually taking a break from riding.
BUT like I said, that's if I was forced to knit-pick. Great work!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 30, 2011 12:22 |  #3

Fantastic work!

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

sebmour
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 30, 2011 17:21 |  #4

BrickR wrote in post #13024881 (external link)
Honestly? This looks like pro work. *two thumbs up*
If I was forced to knit-pick at gun point, I'd say the two riders talking looked a bit forced/fake. It was a good touch to humanize the riders, but they were still sitting on the bikes as if someone said "just sit there for a bit and act like you're having a conversation". Not like they were standing with the bikes in the fore or background and actually taking a break from riding.
BUT like I said, that's if I was forced to knit-pick. Great work!

They we're actually talking...lol

They stopped, switched bikes and started talking. We captured it but it will be noted to make it more a normal setting to discuss about the vehicules.

Thank you all!

5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

ty ­ wonon
347 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 30, 2011 17:56 |  #5

SWEET! Great job.

andresme
33 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 31, 2011 02:13 |  #6

Wow, that was pretty good. The only thing I would comment on is that the footage might look better in progressive... or at least it doesn't look like it was... and maybe work on the color grading a little. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but it looks a little off to me. But that's only if I HAD to choose something wrong with it. Overall, very good.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 31, 2011 02:50 |  #7

Very, very nice, it does indeed look pro.
If I was forced to knit-pick at gun point, I would probably say that the types of camera movements are not varied enough for something with so many cuts. If it were up to me, I would add panning or tracking shots following the riders, and a camera mounted on one of the bikes I were feeling fancy. What I mean is, the shots are certainly cool, but there aren't any that give enough sense of speed.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

jeffmurray
392 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 31, 2011 04:02 |  #8

Great job. Loved it. Only two points to raise. The image of the Suzuki logo is used twice - I'd go for only once. And the opening scene is interlaced - did you mean it to be? The flags show up badly.

Otherwise - fantastic - love the slider/dolley work. And nice shots of the bikes in action.

Thanks for sharing.

With kind regards
Jeff
www.jeffmurrayimaging.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …ayimaging/31731​2484981413 (external link)

Photo99
539 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 31, 2011 18:53 as a reply to  @ jeffmurray's post |  #9

Nice job. What kind of stabilizer did you use?

PHoto99

Namerifrats
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 02, 2011 12:23 as a reply to  @ Photo99's post |  #10

Impressive video!

"There's an Evil Monkey in my closet!"
FLICKR (external link)

sebmour
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 02, 2011 21:46 |  #11

Photo99 wrote in post #13032459 (external link)
Nice job. What kind of stabilizer did you use?

PHoto99

Kessler Crane cineslider for one camera and manfrotto video tripod with a 501 Head for the other.

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 03, 2011 23:22 as a reply to  @ sebmour's post |  #12

Nicely done.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 04, 2011 04:45 |  #13

The smooth camera moves worked nicely for the beginning, but during the driving it just made it look that the riders were going reaaaally slow.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,344 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 06, 2011 22:58 |  #14

sebmour wrote in post #13023482 (external link)
What do you think of this video that I made for auto123.com?

2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600 & 750 on track test (external link)

Thank you for your time

Good eye, smooth transitioning and very good control over color and lighting. The only gripe would be the pacing. You're 'almost' there, in terms of professionalism. The only trip up is your timing in certain parts of the video. At the end of the video your cuts are synced with the music, which is good. In the beginning there aren't any noticeable cut cues, so each transition is a bit off (either too long or too short). My first thought was that you were judging cuts on 'good' footage. That is, if you had 5 seconds of great footage you used the entire 5 seconds, if you had 8, you used eight (minus buffer space). Personally, I would have made all the cuts the same length at the beginning, matching the timing of the shortest clip. That way, the viewer eventually (after two or three clips) falls into a rhythm, but when they get comfortable, yank that rhythm away with the start of the cycle footage (using the music as the cue). Also, I would speed up the track scenes about 25%, use at least one leading to trailing shot and if you come up short for time, do a mirror of a leading shot right after each other. I might even change the color on some racing scenes to orange where the background (sky) is blue. Orange on blue is a hallmark of tech filming (look for it in movies like Transformers). You'd need a pretty good color suite to do it right in post production.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

sponsored links

1,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opinions about my video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.