Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 12:27
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "AF Confirmation Beep?"
Yes, I always leave it on.
35.5%
Nope, it is always disabled.
48.8%
Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.
14.2%
Autofocus? I only focus manually!
1.4%

211 voters, 211 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus Confirmation Beep

okcomputer
108 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 04, 2011 12:27 |  #1

Just wondering what setting folks use?

It has always been the first thing I shut off when I get a new camera.

Yesterday I was at a wedding and noticed the photographer had it enabled - the first time I have seen a pro wedding photog have it enabled. It really became noticeable during the ceremony. During quiet moments: "Beep. Beep. Click. Beep. Click. Beep. Beep. Beep. Click."

Canon 5D MKIII + Canon 60D + 16-35 f/4L IS, Σ35 f/1.4 Art, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
fadetowhite photography (external link) | gear list

sponsored links
okcomputer
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 04, 2011 12:38 |  #2

Comments on why you use or it don't use it?

Canon 5D MKIII + Canon 60D + 16-35 f/4L IS, Σ35 f/1.4 Art, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
fadetowhite photography (external link) | gear list

ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2011 12:40 |  #3

I've always left it on. I'd rather have the audio cue rather than looking for confirmation in the viewfinder. However, I think a pro shooting a wedding should turn it off. That would be really annoying.

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

mileslong24
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 04, 2011 12:41 as a reply to  @ okcomputer's post |  #4

I don't really have a reason for keeping it off other than I find it annoying and unnecessary.

Overkill-F1
479 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 04, 2011 12:45 |  #5

I also find it annoying, it is the one of the options I turn off when starting out with a new camera.
...Terry

50D, 450D, 18-55mm IS, 30mm f/1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2,
For Sale- EF 24mm f/2.8
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". Dave Barry

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 04, 2011 12:49 |  #6

It's annoying especially during wedding ceremonies. The last thing the couple wants is distracting beeps coming from all around the church. I had that turned off on all of my 35mm cameras that had a beep feature.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2011 12:52 |  #7

I had the beep on when I first got my 7D, and I was shooting a college baseball game next to another photographer, he turns to me and nonchalantly mentions hearing a beeping sound... I get a bit embarrassed and quickly turn it off, lol. Now I keep the sound off. The visual cue in the viewfinder is plenty.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 04, 2011 12:59 |  #8

First thing I turn off when I get a new camera.

Kev

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 04, 2011 13:01 |  #9

With the indicator in the viewfinder and the AF spot illumination, I don't think the beep is necessary. I set one of the 7D's custom functions (I can't recall which one exactly) so the red LED off to the side of the viewfinder fires regardless of the ambient light level.

Gear
flickr (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 04, 2011 13:05 |  #10

Depends on the situation, but it's always on for my MF alt glass.

Christian.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 04, 2011 13:58 as a reply to  @ 20DNewbie's post |  #11

I don't shoot events like weddings (and never intend to), so that's no worry for me. No real reason to leave it on except that it doesn't bother me and I haven't found a compelling reason to turn it off. The audible confirmation of focus is nice, but admittedly not completely necessary.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 04, 2011 14:08 |  #12

To be honest I generally always have the beep on, BUT - if I for example visit a church, I switch it off, the shutter is loud enough.

I think one really needs to decide on a "per situation" basis - will the beep annoy anybody?

Personally I like the beep as an additional confirmation to just the lights turning on.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 04, 2011 14:15 |  #13

I always leave it on and get annoyed or worried when i don't hear it.

I can see how turning it off during a church reception would make sense though, personally i need the extra confirmation my eyesight is very focused on the scene not the readings at the bottom.I also wear glasses and sometimes can't get a full view of the VF the beep tells me its okay to press the shutter.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

seattle1
290 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Sep 04, 2011 14:18 |  #14

I normally leave it on but do shut it off when I shoot weddings.

Overread
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 04, 2011 15:25 |  #15

One of the first things I turn off with a camera - I have my eye up to the viewfinder so spotting the little red dot confirmation in the viewfinder is all I need to know its in focus (well at least that the camera thinks its in focus ;)).

Heck I'd be happy to "turn off" the shutter and mirror slap sounds as well. There is a time and a place where I do like to hear the sound of the camera working, and other times when its a massively loud booming sound that really I could do without ;)
(and yes I know its mechanical sounds that don't turn off)

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focus Confirmation Beep
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.