Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about Lightroom stacking...

Mahgnillig
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 04, 2011 14:44 |  #1

Hi all :)

I just started using Lightroom and have been watching the Adobe TV videos on how to use it. I love the stacking feature... it makes working with bracketed images for HDR really easy. I have a question though... I tried googling, but didn't come up with an answer.

Say, for example, I go through my library and stack all my bracketed exposures together to reduce the clutter in my library. Then I go through and start picking and choosing the sets of bracketed images that I want to work further on by giving them a star. When I give the top image in the stack a star, that star is not transferred to the rest of the stack so when I try to filter the stacks by star rating, I can't see the rest of the images when I expand the stack (does that make sense?). In order to see those images when I expand the stack, I have to remove the filter, which kinda defeats the purpose of filtering them in the first place. Am I overlooking something here? If anyone knows how I can apply the same star rating to a stack of images, please post up!

Sorry if this is a noob question... I've been using Lightroom for all of 2 days :oops:

sponsored links
Sync
233 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 04, 2011 14:47 |  #2

If I remember correctly when you rate a stack, it only rates the top image. You have to "expand" the stack, select all the images, apply the rating, and then "collapse" the stack again. You don't need to remove and re-apply the stacking, just click on the right edge of the stack to expand it.

BTW, you might find it much quicker to rattle through your photos rating them if you use the left and right arrow keys and numbers 0-5 on the numeric keypad.

Mahgnillig
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 04, 2011 17:00 |  #3

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know :)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 04, 2011 17:31 |  #4

I believe Sync is correct. Also, stacks are not carried over into collections - only the top picture in a stack will appear in the collection.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 04, 2011 21:07 |  #5

Another thing -- to view a stack of photos where the top one is rated of flagged and the rest aren't you don't have to remove the rating from the pic. If you Click on the lit/selected rating in the filters area it should turn off the filter. Or, you can pul down the Filter drop-down list and choose "Unrated" or "No filter". That way you can keep the rating applied to any of your images. You can expand a stack and rate the photos, Collapse the stack, then either click a rating or change the dropdown list selection to go back to a filtered view.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Sync
233 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 05, 2011 00:11 |  #6

I didn't know this but you can even use Shift+Number Key to rate a photo and automatically move to the next one.

Use Ctrl+/ to bring up a chart of all the most useful Lightroom shortcuts at any time - they are well worth learning as they really speed up your workflow.

It's also well worth watching some videos on Adobe TV and Youtube, and reading some of the articles about how Lightroom works. Its metadata engine is really quite powerful but a lot of the features are fairly well hidden. For example most people aren't aware that you can use negation in the search box: say if you wanted to look for photos tagged with the keyword "automobile" but you didn't want to see those manufactured by Ford you could search for [Contains All] automobile !Ford.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2011 00:40 |  #7

That keyboard shortcut is a good one to know -- it's one of those shortcuts I never remember:)!

As to the Shift+rating combo, yeah, that's useful, but the fact that you can put the PC in Caps Lock means that you don't have to hold down shift. When I'm flagging/rating, I like to have both hands pounced to strike!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mahgnillig
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 05, 2011 12:22 |  #8

I'm just getting the hang of using the keyboard shortcuts... they certainly make things faster :) I was able to whizz through a 150+ image fireworks shoot last night using the shortcuts, plus I got my stacking issues squared away. My only problem with Lightroom is wondering why I didn't buy it sooner!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2011 14:40 |  #9

Heh! Welcome to the discovery of a great workflow "solution"!

Tony

sponsored links

2,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about Lightroom stacking...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.