Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Sep 2011 (Friday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

tripod weight ...........

whu-1
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 02, 2011 23:40 |  #1

Hi guys looking for some input from the real world …………

For the guys that travel and hike,

When you take a tripod, how much dose weight play in to ill leave it in the car or hotel room? (Forget fold length)

In the real world which weight tripod would you take or leave weight wise ?
And which weight do you own and use ?

2.5 lb (1.1 kg)
3.1 lb (1.4 kg)
3.8 lb (1.7 kg) and over

All so is 5 legs one to many? Would you take a longer fold lengths for 4 legs ( forget about stability )

Thanks for any help ……….have a real hard time since i have little experance with tripods :oops: as ive travel a lot and allways put in the to hard basket :D

sponsored links
casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 02, 2011 23:44 |  #2

I will not compromise the shot for the weight of the tripod. I'll just hike less...

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 03, 2011 09:52 |  #3

I don't compromise. See this review.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,715 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 03, 2011 11:16 |  #4

The weight issue is dependent upon one's tolerance of weight vs. need, and that is a very individual factor which varies from circumstance to circumstance! For example, I have lugged 12 lbs. of tripod into the field to support a large format camera for a shot, yet I also have disdained carrying 8 lbs. of tripod around all day when walking about in a foreign city.

As for leg sections, I hate having one extra section...it adds 50% to the setup time compared to 3 sections! If it takes you 30 seconds to extend and lock one section (on the three legs), it would take 60 seconds for doing two sections (of a 3 section tripod) and 90 seconds for doing three sections (of a 4 section tripod). Besides the 4th section has a relatively small diameter, making it less rigid and more subject to vibration than a large diameter section! But some folks just have to have a shorter length (when collapsed) for packability reasons.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

whu-1
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 03, 2011 19:37 |  #5

thanks for the input wilt ,
I figured that 5 section would be a step/leg to far so me , and a 3 mm on average step up in diameter is pretty big between 4 section and 5 sections ……..( 22 % to 26%) max weight and vibration wise.
All so makes me think the max load is more of a guide and marketing ploy .
once again thanks .
p.s you a ozy or got a thing for kolas :D

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 04, 2011 03:27 |  #6

I have one tripod that weighs 7 lbs and one that weighs 2.6 lbs. The heavy one stays in the car and the light one goes everywhere. My lightweight tripod has 4 leg sections. I think a 5th section would be too thin to be useful.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 04, 2011 03:34 as a reply to  @ whu-1's post |  #7

It's not a problem. I keep four tripods in the car. I take out whichever is appropriate for the circumstances.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 04, 2011 19:27 |  #8

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #13048414 (external link)
It's not a problem. I keep four tripods in the car. I take out whichever is appropriate for the circumstances.

Not a possibility when you travel overseas:)

whu-1
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 04, 2011 19:37 as a reply to  @ ender78's post |  #9

over seas or every wheres a plan flight here or 40 deg / 110 deg heat or motor bike :cool::lol: :D

sulli.gibson
82 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 04, 2011 22:12 |  #10

I don't make any compromises either. I hike with a gitzo 5 series/rrs bh-55 and have zero problems. In fact I find it pretty light and it's 7 lbs-ish setup?

Sulli Gibson
http://www.sulligibson​.com (external link)

nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2011 22:33 |  #11

i guess it really depends on your needs and how heavy your set up is. my heaviest set up is my 24-70+5d2 and i wanted the smallest and the lightest set up possible so i got a benro travel angel cf tripod which weighs like 1.5 lbs and it's perfect for me. works for me because all i wanted was something to mount the camera on other than random benches and flat surfaces i could find.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 04, 2011 22:36 |  #12

I dealt with the size and weight the best way I could figure how without sacrificing stability. I went with a Gitzo GT1541T set of legs and a Markins Q3T head. Heres my review for more about the combo: LINK

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

whu-1
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 04, 2011 23:55 |  #13

thanks for the ink ben r . gitzo are just to short for me ...............
nick im looking at the benro travel angel cf tripod but wanted to keep names out of the decusion .
how do you find the berno you have , would you swops your one for the next size up ?
i.e swopping weight for heights and vibrations ......
cheers

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 05, 2011 05:09 |  #14

ender78 wrote in post #13051090 (external link)
Not a possibility when you travel overseas:)

Actually, I generally travel overseas with the car - that's what the channel tunnel is for. But I take your point. Last time I was travelling by air (US) I only took two tripods, a trusty Benbo with a Gitzo head and a Manfrotto 441 with a Gitzo G1376M head. Plus a beanbag and a Manfrotto superclamp and a Cullmann Hide Clamp with a Gitzo head on it. (SWMBO uses them simultaneously as we are birders and carry bird scopes abroad too.)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Cullmann clamp

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 05, 2011 05:42 |  #15

I hike most days with mt 1.6 kg Gitzo with Manfrotto 410 Junior geared head, also 1.6 kgs I think. Ridiculously heavy but never lets me down, and I like the precise control of the geared head...mostly for architectural work with TS lenses, bur okay for everything else as well.

I go with Wilt on the legs...3 sections is plenty, and I love the height of the Gitzo.

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links

2,777 views & 0 likes for this thread
tripod weight ...........
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.