Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 12:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpacks/Slingpacks: When on a hike or ? Do you actually carry your camera in it?

idocrop
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 04, 2011 12:04 |  #1

Well, hows that for a title!bw!
Trying to decide on the "perfect pack":confused: I have watched product videos of the above mentioned packs in action and always they show the shooter coming across the perfect kodak(canon) moment and having to get that camera out of the pack before that opportunity fades.

My question comment or just whatever is "How many of you actually do this when out on walks?" and if you do, you must certainly miss some shots.

I thought about this when my family and I were out walking around in the UP area of MI. I know I would have missed shots of chipmunks and such if I had to reach in to a bag and pull out my camera. About the only time I can see keeping the camera in the bag is when you need both hands free, as when walking over rough or uneven terrain. I also keep my camera in its bag when I am driving, but as a passenger have it ready for that moment.

BTW, any ideas on a bag for a 500d with canon 50mm, a tamron 70-300, a canon 28-105, battery and charger, tripod/monopod mount, waterbottle storage, and included bag raincoat and a little extra storage compartments on side or top for purse essentials? Not too much to ask for;). I imagine would eventually add to my lens collection, but would probably have one of the zooms attached and probably carrying it. lol

Thanks for reading and for your input,

norma
"Words and pictures are yin and yang. Married, they produce a progeny more interesting than either parent."
— Dr. Seuss

sponsored links
kiapolo
869 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 04, 2011 12:10 |  #2

I will carry my camera on a sling (carry speed) while hiking and will usually put my camera in my backpack only if it rains or if the conditions call for putting the camera away.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 04, 2011 15:58 |  #3

I use my trusty Kata 465 for my 5D2 with 17-40 or 24-70 attached. The bag is a backpack and so comfortable with all the supportive straps, I don't mind, but getting the camera out is not as easy. For easy access around town, I use my Passport, which is a sling bag, and still comfy. I have used the Passport a lot while traveling in urban areas, so easy to put the bag in front and get the camera out. If you insist on leaving the gear in the car or in one bag, there's nothing better than a nice Think Tank wheeled bag, but putting all the gear in one bag is a no-no for me. I can't lift it all, must split the weight. Also, I never leave my gear in the car unattended, asking for trouble.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 04, 2011 17:06 |  #4

When I'm out hiking, my primary camera is out around my neck and the lens I'm most likely to use is on it. I don't want to have to stop to remove the backpack to get at it. The other stuff will be in the bag. If I'm walking around a "target-rich" event or area, I'll have 2 cameras out and be using one of my Domke shoulder bags for everything else. So, no, I'll never have my gear all tucked up nicely in my bag except when I'm en route to wherever.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 04, 2011 17:29 |  #5

No, when I am hiking I always have my camera ready - the only things I carry in a camera bag are additional lenses, a flash, filters and my pano head.

Eileen
176 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 04, 2011 17:41 |  #6

On a decent length hike where comfort is a concern I use the LowePro Primus bag, camera in the pack but I can, without removing from my back, remove it one handedly, shoot, and then put the camera back.

I caught a pic of a deer bounding across the trail with this method.

On shorter hikes, I may use my Slingshot bag instead of the Primus if I want/need to carry more lenses but less non photo related gear.

If I'm out in the "target-rich" environment like Jon describes or on a strictly photo focused outing then I might use the camera with an R-strap and carry either the Slingshot or my Tenba messenger bag for extra gear.

Graphic Designer / Photographer
Canon 60D, Canon 450D - Lenses covering 10mm to 300mm, 580 EX II and 420 EX flashes, Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 04, 2011 17:55 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

When I am hiking, I usually have a destination in mind for my photography so I carry my gear in my pack until I reach my photography destination. I find my photos that were taken in a "run & gun" fashion are worthless. I need to spend time in an area, looking for the right compositions and waiting for the right light. This takes time and I usually arrive at my destination with plenty of time to setup my gear and get my head into the right space before pressing the shutter.

whu-1
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 04, 2011 23:59 |  #8

have a look at lowpro sling shot bags , best of both worlds , best part is you dont have to put the bag down , it quick and easy .

idocrop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 05, 2011 01:06 as a reply to  @ whu-1's post |  #9

What alot of good replies, with lots of info! Thanks so much:D.

Research,research-but not right now, think I will go to bed.

norma
"Words and pictures are yin and yang. Married, they produce a progeny more interesting than either parent."
— Dr. Seuss

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 05, 2011 06:50 |  #10

Hogloff wrote in post #13050832 (external link)
When I am hiking, I usually have a destination in mind for my photography so I carry my gear in my pack until I reach my photography destination. I find my photos that were taken in a "run & gun" fashion are worthless. I need to spend time in an area, looking for the right compositions and waiting for the right light. This takes time and I usually arrive at my destination with plenty of time to setup my gear and get my head into the right space before pressing the shutter.

Yep, here too. Also, I like to have my hands free since I usually end up having to bushwhack or climb/scramble over obstacles, not to mention hike through creeks for a ways. For me, "spraying and praying" (or, running and gunning) usually results in substandard images. If I reach an area that's "target rich", the camera is out and on the tripod. On the move, its tucked away.

Then again, it pretty much depends on what you call "hiking"...walking leisurely along a groomed trail with the wife and kids, then sure, keep the camera handy.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 05, 2011 08:47 |  #11

The Lowepro Rover AW II will hold your kit well. has daypack area and pockets for h20, etc. Sometimes my camera is in hand, othr times its bagged until I get where I am going... just depends on the objective for the day!

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

genzbenz
628 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 05, 2011 16:27 |  #12

I'm a Tenba guy. I have a Tenba messenger bag (medium) and the Tenba Sling (medium as well). The sling is a bit larger than the messenger bag, and has a support strap that helps relieve the stress from the shoulder that is carrying the bag. This is the bag that I use while hiking long distances where I need a little extra equipment. Once reach my destination and start hiking, the Camera comes out and I hang it off my shoulder (opposite shoulder of the sling bag) with a Black Rapid strap. I just did a 5 hour hike at Cumberland Falls with this combo and it was perfect. I had my 5DII, 24-70, 70-200 2.8, 50 1.8, and a 100 macro. I also had a spare battery, memory card, and a set of Cokin filters (and a few others as well). Plenty of room in the bag. I also had my tripod, but I just carried that in my hand.

When I'm in a more urban environment, with less gear, I tend to use the messenger bag as it looks a little less conspicuous. I still wear the camera on a Black Rapid strap on the opposite shoulder that my bag's on. Last year, I did a 10 mile walk in San Francisco from Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito with my messenger. I had my 7D, 24-70, 85 1.8, and 100-400, along with a few filters and accessories - no tripod this time. About 7 miles in, my shoulder got a little tired, but I just switched and life was good.

It may not be the perfect setup, but it suits me well, and both bags can be found around $100 or less.

Visit my Facebook Page (external link)
5D III | 5D II | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 100 2.8 Macro | 50 1.8 II | Tokina 16-28 2.8 | Sigma 15 2.8 FE | Sigma 35 1.4 | 430EX II (x3) | Calumet Genesis lights | YN RF-602 and YN-622c triggers

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 05, 2011 16:33 |  #13

If you have a backpack, once hiking, it's easy to carry your camera out front. In fact, if you do it by attaching the camera to the backpack shoulder straps, it's a nice counterbalance to the rest of the pack. Use these:

http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …kpack-connection-kit.aspx (external link)

only connect them right to the camera or camera strap instead of to a holster. Also, I just got this:

http://www.peakdesignl​td.com/ (external link)

The Capture Clip from Peak Designs and find that it works pretty well with a backpack too. Just clip it in and it unsnaps quite fast to use.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

camera ­ dude
275 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 05, 2011 19:00 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #14

I have been looking for a year and finally found a bag for me. I hike a lot in the pacific northwest.

Here is the perfect bag:

http://www.clikelite.c​om/products/access/ (external link)

Fits 7D and walkaround lens (15-85 or 17-55) etc.

Camera is right there and protected to a degree. It even handled a full speed wipe out over the handle bars when someone in front of me wiped. Camera took a shot. The bag is only thinly padded but it works. Wear the camera in front and std backpack in back.

7D | Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 | Sigma EF-S 30 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 135 2.0 L | 430EX | TT Speed Demon | Sony RX100

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 05, 2011 19:04 |  #15

The other thing that I do is wear the Cotton Carrier with my backpack. There is nothing better than the Cotton Carrier for chest carry and shooting.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

sponsored links

2,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpacks/Slingpacks: When on a hike or ? Do you actually carry your camera in it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.