Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Used 5D II Prices

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2011 07:50 |  #31

ktownhero wrote in post #13004275 (external link)
Just because people are willing to pay for it, doesn't mean it's is not over-priced. What you're referring to there is what is affectionately called a "bubble" when it happens in financial markets. It basically means that there is a perceived value that is higher than something's actual value. Invariably the used price will fall as people get smart about it, but the people paying those prices now ultimately are the ones that lose out, as they are buying at the top of a curve that is likely to shift downward.

There is always lag between actual value and perceptual value. If, in fact, the new 5D2's are going down in price and the used market isn't moving yet... then one most certainly wants to stay away from the used 5D2s right now! That is, if you're like me and think of these things as investments.

Your perceived value is the only thing that matters. That IS the market value if that is what people are paying. It's easy just to say they are uninformed just because you disagree with a market value of the item. I could make that argument against everything you have purchased. Now that doesn't mean it is that valuable to me.... I bought my 5d2/24-105 kit witH 40 clicks for $2400. I happen to think BMW's are way overpriced based on what one gets and their reliability, but the public buys them so that is the market value regardless of what I think.

Jason

sponsored links
pmack
113 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 05, 2011 08:00 |  #32

jase1125 wrote in post #13053128 (external link)
Your perceived value is the only thing that matters. That IS the market value if that is what people are paying. It's easy just to say they are uninformed just because you disagree with a market value of the item. I could make that argument against everything you have purchased. Now that doesn't mean it is that valuable to me.... I bought my 5d2/24-105 kit witH 40 clicks for $2400. I happen to think BMW's are way overpriced based on what one gets and their reliability, but the public buys them so that is the market value regardless of what I think.

I'll repost what i wrote on the last page because it seems you're completely missing the point people are making.

"I onsold [my 5DMKII] on ebay, got $2150 for it. I can buy it brand new for $2021
(aussie dollars)
Pretty sure that right there is FACT that the 2nd hand market is too high.
I sold a 4 year old 580EXII flash on ebay for AU$470 http://www.ebay.com.au …_trksid=p3984.m​1562.l2649 (external link)
You can buy them NEW for AU$435 at the same place I sold is, i.e ebay! http://www.ebay.com.au …ts_JN&hash=item​2eb72e144f (external link)
Go figure"

Captured Abroad - Travel Photography Blog - Images from an overland journey (external link)
Captured Abroad - Facebook page - "like" for highlights from my blog (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2011 08:48 |  #33

I understand your point; I just disagree with it. A one off purchase that is outside of the norm certainly indicates someone paid beyond the value of the item. If a large population pay a dollar amount, then obviously the market is supporting it regardless if you and I disagree with said value.

pmack wrote in post #13053140 (external link)
I'll repost what i wrote on the last page because it seems you're completely missing the point people are making.

"I onsold [my 5DMKII] on ebay, got $2150 for it. I can buy it brand new for $2021
(aussie dollars)
Pretty sure that right there is FACT that the 2nd hand market is too high.
I sold a 4 year old 580EXII flash on ebay for AU$470 http://www.ebay.com.au …_trksid=p3984.m​1562.l2649 (external link)
You can buy them NEW for AU$435 at the same place I sold is, i.e ebay! http://www.ebay.com.au …ts_JN&hash=item​2eb72e144f (external link)
Go figure"

Jason

promod
502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2011 09:43 as a reply to  @ jase1125's post |  #34

I just sold my 5dmkll ( 9/3/2011 ) for $1900 cash and I'm not at all upset .. when you think I purchased it new for $2250 on may 15th ( 2010 ) from a canon dealer on e-bay .. thats a $350 loss , I can't rent one for 15 months for that amount of $$$$ ...............

"if you are tired of starting over , then don't QUIT "

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 05, 2011 09:47 |  #35

promod wrote in post #13053406 (external link)
I just sold my 5dmkll ( 9/3/2011 ) for $1900 cash and I'm not at all upset .. when you think I purchased it new for $2250 on may 15th ( 2010 ) from a canon dealer on e-bay .. thats a $350 loss , I can't rent one for 15 months for that amount of $$$$ ...............

Good point. If someone wants/needs one, they should pick one up. If they're unhappy with it or want to upgrade when the MKiii supply chain is up and running it'll be easy to sell and would cost less than a rental for the same period of time.

JimmyDude911
772 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 05, 2011 09:54 |  #36

i propose a boycott on used 5D II's until we get just prices hahaha

Canon EOS 5D Mark ii | Canon 50/1.4 |Rokinon 85/1.4 |
Leica M4-P | 40/1.4 Nokton |
Bronica ETRS | 50/2.8 | 75/2.8 |
flickr (external link)

shotbyMika
114 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2011 10:51 as a reply to  @ JimmyDude911's post |  #37

I bought my 5DII about 1.5 years ago new for EUR 1.729, now it is still retailing for EUR 1.900 or more. I'm not complaining, but then again, prices on lenses also went up considerably and those I didn't buy at that time. :cry:

--||500px (external link)||-- --||www.shotbymika.com (external link)||--

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 05, 2011 11:29 |  #38

I've been considering a used 5D II but like has been said here, you can't find a decent price on a used one.

Instead, I think I'll upgrade my 70-200 2.8 to an IS II version. I'll wait a while longer for the 5D II.

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 05, 2011 11:49 |  #39

Stump wrote in post #13053829 (external link)
I've been considering a used 5D II but like has been said here, you can't find a decent price on a used one.

Instead, I think I'll upgrade my 70-200 2.8 to an IS II version. I'll wait a while longer for the 5D II.

Can't go wrong buying glass, especially that glass.

sponsored links

3,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
Used 5D II Prices
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.