Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2011 (Monday) 11:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shutter Sound

3Rotor
818 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 05, 2011 11:18 |  #1

I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm not searching with the correct terms, not even sure how to describe it in a few words.

The issue or non-issue I'm noticing right now is every once in while my 7D's shutter actuates slower than normal. For example, I'm shooting full manual at 1/250th of a second, 4.0 aperture, 400 ISO. The shutter actuation is nice and quick but every now and then I hear a slow shutter actuation, sounds like a relatively long exposure around a 1/2 second. The resulting image is still correctly exposed with identical settings untouched.

I have read that during full burst the 7D will still compensate for the amount of light that's available even though the maximum burst rate is selected. I'm curious if this has anything to do with non-burst mode as well?

Only reason I'm worried is I noticed my 40D did same thing and eventually the shutter went out. I don't know if the two had any relation.

Thanks for any help!

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

sponsored links
Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 05, 2011 11:23 |  #2

The only thing that I can think of is Safety Shift, and that's not a very convincing possibility either. You may be correct in thinking that it is a shutter issue if it occurs with frequency.

Gear
flickr (external link)

3Rotor
THREAD ­ STARTER
818 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 05, 2011 12:10 |  #3

I did a bit more research on the subject and came across this thread, https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1086416

I have noticed it usually happens in relatively low light conditions as posted in the linked thread. From the looks of it I may not anything to worry about.

Kaljam
154 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 05, 2011 12:20 |  #4

Could the first or second curtain be sticking when returning to their normal positions after the shot? This would not effect the exposure but you would hear the late "click". Or could the mirror be sticking?

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 05, 2011 12:26 |  #5

Are you shooting in live view?

Feedback
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 05, 2011 12:42 as a reply to  @ Imaginary Enemy's post |  #6

Can you be a bit more specific on the sound? On one point you mention that is sounds like a slow shutter speed, but later you mention a slow burst rate. Set your camera to a slow shutter speed - like 1 second and listen carefully. You will hear the open and closing of the mirror. Is that the sound? Now go to a single shot manual focus with all your metering off. Fire off two shots at about half a second apart. Is that the sound? A stuck mirror would be more similar to the first sound described. The slow down in burst rate in dim lighting which is a known think on the 7D sounds more like the latter.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

3Rotor
THREAD ­ STARTER
818 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 05, 2011 13:00 |  #7

Triple A wrote in post #13054095 (external link)
Are you shooting in live view?

No live view.

kfreels wrote in post #13054172 (external link)
Can you be a bit more specific on the sound? On one point you mention that is sounds like a slow shutter speed, but later you mention a slow burst rate. Set your camera to a slow shutter speed - like 1 second and listen carefully. You will hear the open and closing of the mirror. Is that the sound? Now go to a single shot manual focus with all your metering off. Fire off two shots at about half a second apart. Is that the sound? A stuck mirror would be more similar to the first sound described. The slow down in burst rate in dim lighting which is a known think on the 7D sounds more like the latter.

Correct, it's a slow shutter speed compared to what it should be. I only referenced the burst rate as a comparison to what I think could be happening.

I ran the quick test and had no issues, sounds like it's functioning correctly.

sponsored links

2,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shutter Sound
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.