Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 05 Sep 2011 (Monday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How did I do? C&C wanted

will227457
261 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2011 00:00 |  #1

So I am getting serious about my photography, I need some C&C...how can I improve......am I on the right track?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i156.photobucke​t.com …1/will227457/IM​G_2324.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
bboehm
706 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 05, 2011 00:50 |  #2

Picture is over-exposed. Lighting is too strong creating a very flat look. You need to work on controlling the lighting more so that you've got some shadows to add depth and contrast to the picture. Also, the eyes do not look like they are in focus. Best is to use to single point focus, focus on the eyes, then re-compose. If you want some of your background to be part of the picture, meter your shutter speed off the background first and shoot at that shutter speed. If your background is very bright, this will under-expose your subject. To correct the under-exposure on your subject, use either a reflector or off-camera fill flash either camera left or camera right depending on the look you're going for. If you want to get serious about this, you have to get serious with off-camera flash, reflectors, modeling poses etc. Good luck!

7D, 50D, EFS 17-85mm IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 2X Extender III, Calumet Genesis 400, Speedlite 430EX, Pocket Wizards

drumnut01
415 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 05, 2011 02:23 |  #3

You also have a color problem. It almost looks like there were two different color light sources, one daylight or flash, and one tungsten. You can see that one side of the face looks orange and the shadows on the other side look blue.

Feedback

will227457
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2011 10:27 |  #4

So my setup was model on steps in shade gold reflector camera left and slightly behind model, I exposed for model blowing out the background, the eyes are sharp at100% so maybe compression on upload of the photo?

So if I expose for the background since I was using natural light wouldn't my subject look like she was sitting in the dark even with the reflector? the I dea of this picture was to use natural light and have a warm tone to the subject. on my calibrated monitor the only blown highlights are the background, but yeah maybe I can bring it back a bit on my model

So how can I fix The color difference? Warm/blue?

Thx for the comments! Any help appreciated

Apshiso
458 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 05, 2011 10:29 |  #5

pretty model, nice pose, but agree with earlier comments on lighting. Thanks for sharing

Think about NOT using the word "retarded" in a derogatory manner - it insults those who cannot defend themselves - and hurts the ones who love them. Please see: http://www.r-word.org/ (external link)

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 05, 2011 10:56 |  #6

like the others said the highlights especially in the yellow look blown out. doesnt matter what your monitor says it still looks funny and the colors are not working for me, there are no natural skin colors in the pic at all. maybe just some highlights of yellow and pick would do it instead of the whole face

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

will227457
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2011 11:30 |  #7

here is the picture pretty much SOC (crop/sharpening only)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i156.photobucke​t.com …will227457/IMG_​2324_2.jpg (external link)

maybe i brought it up to much in post?

looking for PP ideas

BobRob12
52 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 05, 2011 12:23 |  #8

Your SOOC shot is much much much better to me. The edited one looks like you went crazy with curves or levels and pushed the red channel way too much. Still a little bit warm for my taste, but you did say you were going for that effect and I think you accomplished it in the camera, but ruined it in post.

50D, 85 1.8, 28 1.8, 70 - 200 4L, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 05, 2011 12:23 |  #9

much better.. not every photo needs a bunch of PP. remember back in the day we used to shoot to print

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

brokkbloodaxe
331 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 05, 2011 12:30 |  #10

The sooc is 110% the better image. I would like to see it in a b&w conversion. I think it would look well.

5DC, XSIrebel, 18-55, 75-300, 85 1.8, 70-200L f4,50L sigma ef 500 dg st, cs2, Lightroom 3
flickr (external link)
-David

will227457
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2011 13:23 |  #11

Cool yeah I try to stay away from to much pp but I guess I went nuts and ruined a decent flick

DG805
175 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 05, 2011 14:11 |  #12

As everyone has mentioned the SOOC looks way better, Just remember, it's all about subtle changes in PP. I always try to keep things as "natural" and "real" looking, it's what sells for me. Some people go crazy with color rendition and skin softening.

Nikon D7000(with grip), D5000, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 17-55 2.8, Nikkor 18-200, Nikoor 35 1.4 G, SB600

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 05, 2011 14:22 |  #13

Yes very much so. This image looks pretty decent. Is your computer screen calibrated for color, brightness, and contrast? Because in your originally posted image you completely over exposed blowing out her shirt as you intentionally blew out the background. As you can see, there is far more to producing high quality photographs than just having a good camera. Skills of photo developing with photo software are as important.

will227457 wrote in post #13053832 (external link)
here is the picture pretty much SOC
maybe i brought it up to much in post? (crop/sharpening only)

QUOTED IMAGE

Aer
54 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 05, 2011 16:33 |  #14

I also think the SOC shot is much better than the one with the PP!

Canon EOS Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm f/1.8 II

sponsored links

1,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
How did I do? C&C wanted
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.