Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 14:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My new Zeikos grip for 7D.

appsyscons
563 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 06, 2011 14:16 |  #1

I got my new Zeikos ZE-CBG7D grip today, and I am very pleased with it. It came in a
brand/model specific box, with the unit bubble wrapped, a white plastic cap/sleeve over
the connections, an AA battery tray adapter, and instructions in English.

It fits like a glove to my camera, and even has a place inside it, to store the battery door,
which I did need to remove from the camera, to use the grip.

The buttons on the grip have a different tactile response than the buttons on the camera,
not better, not worse, just different.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6193/6121417122_0cfc5dde72_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6070/6121415060_7770fd8d19_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6121415782_0d73c9efe5_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6121416414_0530c05803_b.jpg

Gear: 7D gripped | EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 10-18mm | , Nikon P530, Manfrotto legs, 496RC2 Ball Head /QR
My flickr (external link)
Upgrade wish list: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (I or II) USM | Canon EF 1.4X (II or III)

sponsored links
wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 06, 2011 14:23 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I have a hard time skimping (aka non-canon) on batteries/grips because they are the sole electronic device powering your body, and a 7D isn't a cheap one at that.

It "looks" OK though, I suppose.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

appsyscons
THREAD ­ STARTER
563 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 06, 2011 14:34 |  #3

eskimochaos wrote in post #13059803 (external link)
I have a hard time skimping (aka non-canon) on batteries/grips because they are the sole electronic device powering your body, and a 7D isn't a cheap one at that.

I was thinking the same things you are thinking, and you are correct, sometimes you just
have to spend the dollars; however I am optimistic that this may not one of those times.

A sports shooter friend of mine, who has two 7Ds, a 50D, and a nice collection of "L"
glass, told me about the Zeikos grip. He has had his on the 7D for about 7-8 months, and
raves about it. I was skeptical, but since it is not in the optical path, I decided to try it.

Looks, feels and fits great so far, but the real test is in lots of use. After some use, I will
come back to this thread, and post how it is doing.

PS: I lived in NJ most of my life, on the shore in Point Pleasant, and then Forked river.

Gear: 7D gripped | EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 10-18mm | , Nikon P530, Manfrotto legs, 496RC2 Ball Head /QR
My flickr (external link)
Upgrade wish list: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (I or II) USM | Canon EF 1.4X (II or III)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2011 14:45 |  #4

Hope mines as nice as yours on the 60D despite all the negative reviews I'm reading.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 06, 2011 14:49 |  #5

i have the zeikos grip and it works no problems.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 06, 2011 14:50 |  #6

I was considering this and the Canon , im glad you are pleased and nice to know, thank you for sharing

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2011 14:58 |  #7

Music to Mr. Mitarai's ears, I'm sure.

Seriously, how complex is a battery holder and a couple of switches? The issues I've read about with 3rd party grips are mechanical, not electronic.

Does anyone have an example where a 3rd-party grip actually damaged the camera electronics?

Tom

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 06, 2011 15:13 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

RTPVid wrote in post #13059992 (external link)
Music to Mr. Mitarai's ears, I'm sure.

Seriously, how complex is a battery holder and a couple of switches? The issues I've read about with 3rd party grips are mechanical, not electronic.

Does anyone have an example where a 3rd-party grip actually damaged the camera electronics?

You just never know. Japanese is always better than Chinese when it comes to manufacturing and product quality.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

ty ­ wonon
347 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 06, 2011 15:18 |  #9

i have the zeikos grip and it works no problems.

+1...same here

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2011 15:26 |  #10

eskimochaos wrote in post #13060072 (external link)
You just never know. Japanese is always better than Chinese when it comes to manufacturing and product quality.

Is Taiwan considered China? I guess it depends on who you ask. But, it's not Japan.

http://www.fotopolis.p​l/obrazki/CanonGripBG-E7.jpg (external link)

Tom

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 06, 2011 15:28 |  #11

RTPVid wrote in post #13060130 (external link)
Is Taiwan considered China? I guess it depends on who you ask. But, it's not Japan.

http://www.fotopolis.p​l/obrazki/CanonGripBG-E7.jpg (external link)

LOL I bet China wishes it was considering their past lol.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 06, 2011 15:58 |  #12

There is nothing esoteric about the battery, it's basically two AAs in a container. Rather insulting that Canon would charge the prices they do for them. Even more insulting that they continually change the form factor just enough to not make them interchangeable.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

ICEMAN ­ 316
63 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2011 01:46 as a reply to  @ Unregistered.Coward's post |  #13

Well not all products from China are bad. Apple makes all their products from China and so does Jawbone bluetooth headsets. Hp and IBM does too. It just depends on how much a company wants to pay for the production of a product. So instead of bashing a country we should bash the company for being greedy:D

Gripped 7D | EF 24-70 f/2.8L | EF 50 f/1.4 USM | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | EF 18-135 IS | Canon G10
"Always ready to learn!!"

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 07, 2011 10:32 |  #14

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #13060281 (external link)
There is nothing esoteric about the battery, it's basically two AAs in a container. Rather insulting that Canon would charge the prices they do for them. Even more insulting that they continually change the form factor just enough to not make them interchangeable.

Not defending Canon (they can do that themselves), but the new LP-E6 are good and an upgrade to lithium was overdue. Nikon had made the switch some years earlier. Canon now has done the same across the entire line of cameras... 1D series type batts (LP-E4), 7D/60D type (LP-E6), and the Rebel/xxxD series (LP-E8).

The new batteries probably get about 50% more shots than the best of the earlier ones (comparing BP511/512 series that I'm most familiar with over the years).

And the new battteries do have some sort of "smart circuitry" chip added that gives considerably more accurate and more detailed battery condition info. Seems a little gimmicky in some respects, but is nice to have better idea of battery condition at times.

And, the BP511/512 series had at least a ten year run... AFAIK, they were at lease used in everything from the D30 in 2000 through the 50D discontinued a year or so ago. I'd hardly call that "continually changing the form factor". Other cameras used them too... 5D classic... G5 are a couple I know of. I'm sure there were more.

The 5D Mark II might have been the first model to use the new LP-E6, in late 2008. They were really pricey and hard to get early on... I had to order from a couple different stores and paid over $100 apiece for them in early 2009. Thankfully there are now some third party clones that work the same way as the Canon, if nothing else the competition has helped drive down the price of the Canon OEM batts.

And, with BP511 series I used to always carry two backup for every one in my cameras, to be sure I had enough juice for a full day''s shooting. With the LP-E6 I find one backup is plenty... In fact I rarely need to switch batteries at all during a day's shoot (unless I forget to charge them up). So, in this respect, if you shoot a lot and need backups, the new batts. might be a little more cost efficient than you first think (though this doesn't make them "cheaper"... I bought BP511 clones as cheap as $8 a battery including shipping... they worked just fine!)

Canon (and 3rd party such as Zeikos) would get bonus points if they just included a battery with their grip, when you buy one. D'oh... Most people buying a grip are gonna need or want it.

OP, the OEM grip shutter release button is also slightly different feel than the one on the camera. That's because the one on 7D is same type as used on 1D series... I forget the specifics. But the one on the grip isn't. Now, Canon did a pretty good job matching them, and the other buttons seem identical, so after using the OEM grip for a while I don't even notice the difference. Maybe you'll find the same with the Zeikos grip.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

tivoboy
170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 07, 2011 12:06 |  #15

I'm still trying to decide which third party grip to get, has anyone done a recent and direct comparison? I can't justify the $$ that canon requires for this item. Everything else, pure canon, but maybe not the grip.

I also like the extra little ridge on the front of the third party grips, wonder why canon hasn't built that in yet

sponsored links

4,129 views & 0 likes for this thread
My new Zeikos grip for 7D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.