Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 06 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 08:07
Search threadPrev/next

Tips for outside shoot

teaco
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 06, 2011 08:07 |  #1

I've been in the studio for just over a year now and I'm doing a shoot outdoors for the first time. I'm wondering if I can get some advice on bringing a light and/or reflector.

There are a couple of posts here when i like photos a lot.

http://farm6.static.fl​ickr.com …59022433_0bdd3e​7680_b.jpg (external link)

http://farm6.static.fl​ickr.com …38207796_1aa2a8​8765_z.jpg (external link)

http://farm6.static.fl​ickr.com …81151298_1251bd​e6eb_b.jpg (external link)

http://farm6.static.fl​ickr.com …80122623_900124​ce39_b.jpg (external link)

http://farm6.static.fl​ickr.com …59092357_44d18b​78e5_b.jpg (external link)

Any advice would be verrrry much appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2011 01:10 |  #2

Links not working for me.

teaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2011 06:01 |  #3

fixed the links now. THanks.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2011 11:31 as a reply to  @ teaco's post |  #4

I'm no lighting expert, and I can't say for sure what the photographer used for those pics, but I certainly think you should be able to get those type of shots using just a reflector and a small strobe if needed. Pics 3 and 4 look like just good use of natural light to me.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 07, 2011 14:43 |  #5

Teaco-

The photos you have linked involve using a studio strobe with a large diffuser for very even lighting. Use of studio strobes outside is complicated by the max synch speed of your camera which limits your aperture unless you are using high quality remotes such as Pocket Wizard TT1 and TT5, the need for a powerful battery, and assistant to monitor and position the strobes.

You can get results in a different more diffused light with a reflector, but that also works best with an assistant.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

teaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 08, 2011 08:28 |  #6

thanks very much for the replies. I wonder how close i will get with a speedlight and umbrella and just a small reflector. Let's see how it goes....

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

EdW
71 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 08, 2011 13:00 |  #7

On photo# 3, I find the hot spots on the model distracting. Why wouldn't a photographer remedy that before the shot was taken? Not to be rude with my comment.

teaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 08, 2011 17:17 |  #8

EdW. I can see that there is some dappled light through the foliage that can be seen on the model. However, i'm interested in what equipment/technique the photographer has used to light the model.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

EdW
71 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 08, 2011 18:13 |  #9

teaco wrote in post #13072099 (external link)
EdW. I can see that there is some dappled light through the foliage that can be seen on the model. However, i'm interested in what equipment/technique the photographer has used to light the model.

My comment is related to the techniques used. Someone else has mentioned that Phil uses a studio strobe for his shots. From looking at photo #3, IMO the strobe was balanced to the background ambient light but leaving the hotspots. To get rid of the hotspots on the model, IMO the strobe power could have been increased & that would have left the background underexposed. Or a translucent reflector could have been added to soften the bright sun hitting the model. I generally don't like hotspots on the model but that usually depend on how the hotspot is impacting the final image. I'm not saying the there is only one right way to take a photo. I have a lot of respect for Phil. I like his work.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 11, 2011 16:15 |  #10

You can do more than you might imagine, with just defused natural light.
Often, correct use and manipulation of natural light, gives better results than "less than adequate" man made light. So if what you have is a speedlight and umbrella, you might want to try something as single as a large white bed sheet.

teaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2011 09:17 |  #11

quiksquirrel wrote in post #13085753 (external link)
You can do more than you might imagine, with just defused natural light.
Often, correct use and manipulation of natural light, gives better results than "less than adequate" man made light. So if what you have is a speedlight and umbrella, you might want to try something as single as a large white bed sheet.

I take it you mean to reflect? i've got a large sheet of polystyrene that might work well to reflect light so could give that a go. The shoot is postponed as the model got a bruised nose (i didn't ask) but i've shot with her before so i know she'll be good for the shoot when she's ready.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

EdW
71 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 13, 2011 09:44 |  #12

teaco wrote in post #13095817 (external link)
I take it you mean to reflect? i've got a large sheet of polystyrene that might work well to reflect light so could give that a go. The shoot is postponed as the model got a bruised nose (i didn't ask) but i've shot with her before so i know she'll be good for the shoot when she's ready.

Diffused lighting is what quiksquirrel is saying. The bed sheet will go between the sunlight & model basically acting like window lighting. Using a bed sheet would be similar to using a translucent reflector. The translucent reflector might be more manageable than a bed sheet. An extra pair of hands are always nice to have still. To help diffuse bright sunlight, I'm getting one of these translucent reflector.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Oval_Reflector_​White.html (external link)

PosNeg
351 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 13, 2011 09:49 |  #13

I shoot outdoors a lot, and I never ever use fill flash or portable reflectors.
Take a look at my work, and if you want to discuss how I accomplish my technique, feel free to call me.

David M. Blecman
Positive Negatives
Annapolis, MD
http://www.posneg.com (external link)
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY UPCOMING WORKSHOPS

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 13, 2011 17:42 |  #14

EdW wrote in post #13095987 (external link)
Diffused lighting is what quiksquirrel is saying. The bed sheet will go between the sunlight & model basically acting like window lighting. Using a bed sheet would be similar to using a translucent reflector. The translucent reflector might be more manageable than a bed sheet. An extra pair of hands are always nice to have still. To help diffuse bright sunlight, I'm getting one of these translucent reflector.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Oval_Reflector_​White.html (external link)

Exactly.

I mentioned a bed sheet because it's something everyone has and it can be used with great success. So it would be an easy thing for the OP to try, before spending money on stuff he may end up never using.

teaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2011 07:51 |  #15

Thanks for the info... i hope to do this shoot next month so have somewhere good to start. An assistant might be handy so might get one to hold stuff. Hopefully it'll work out.

Posneg - thanks for the offer to call but i'm the other side of the earth so very different timezone. Had a look through your galleries though and you have some great shots in there.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

2,988 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for outside shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.