Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sometimes these forums can be disappointing.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 07, 2011 16:17 |  #1

I know many have mentioned this already in the recent past, and we've had periodic exoduses of long standing members here, but I have to vent.

I've been a member here since 2006. Generally speaking, I'd have to say this is my favorite photography related forum. I think we have mostly a great community here.

But the photo sharing section seems to get a little dicey when it comes to dishing out honest C & C...and I mean HONEST C & C, which I feel is a cornerstone in improving one's skills. I like to pay it forward because a lot of the folks here have helped me immensely in my growth as a photographer. But it gets frustrating...

There are those who can do no wrong with their photos and ALWAYS get the "You are awesome" comments.

There are those who can dish it out but can't take it in return.

There are those who get offended at any hint of criticism.

Then there are those who get offended at any hint of criticism then personally attack you in retaliation.

Sigh...time to move on? :(

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 07, 2011 16:21 |  #2

Maybe stop looking at the photo sharing sections?

;-)a

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 07, 2011 16:22 |  #3

Todd Lambert wrote in post #13065898 (external link)
Maybe stop looking at the photo sharing sections?

;-)a

Simple as that eh? :D

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 07, 2011 16:25 |  #4

Well I hope not nicksan. I always enjoy reading you comments and seeing the work that you post. I think you will always have people who can not take criticism and do personal attacks whenever you go.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 07, 2011 16:26 |  #5

nicksan wrote in post #13065903 (external link)
Simple as that eh? :D

Well, it's one solution...

Seriously, I agree with ya. I wish there was better criticism too, but in reality that takes work and that's not always something people are willing to do anymore, especially on the Internet where it has become a drive-by type thing for most stuff.

Another forum I'm on, has implemented a CC/NC button for all posts, so that members can explicitly ask for critique or tell others right off the bat, that they don't want it.

Does it work? Meh... sometimes, I guess. I just don't know of a solution, especially for such a large site that has SO many visitors, each with their own prerogative.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 07, 2011 16:29 |  #6

scorpio_e wrote in post #13065920 (external link)
Well I hope not nicksan. I always enjoy reading you comments and seeing the work that you post. I think you will always have people who can not take criticism and do personal attacks whenever you go.

I try not to take things too personally since this is the internet after all, but sometimes it takes me by surprise when someone begins to go on the offensive in response to my C & C. I try not to sugar coat things when I give out C & C because I personally find that it's not useful when I get sugar coated C & C myself. So I am just trying to pay it forward, but it's really not worth the hassle or the aggravation of being baited into silly arguments or having to defend my C & C. It almost makes me want to refrain from ever providing C & C. I just don't get it. When I post images, I don't mind at all when people break down my images. I actually really appreciate it.

Just the other day, I sent out a link to some images to some friends thinking they would be impressed. They broke me down so bad, I went in the corner crying! Well, not really...but it's humbling...and I told them I really appreciated the honesty! :)

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 07, 2011 16:32 |  #7

I don't go into the wedding photo sharing forum any more, unless i'm reaaaaaaly bored. It's almost all beginners telling other beginners that they're awesome, when in reality the images are usually pretty suckful. People don't like to be told they suck, but sometimes a bit of schadenfreude is therapeutic ;)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 07, 2011 16:34 |  #8

tim wrote in post #13065969 (external link)
I don't go into the wedding photo sharing forum any more, unless i'm reaaaaaaly bored. It's almost all beginners telling other beginners that they're awesome, when in reality the images are usually pretty suckful. People don't like to be told they suck, but sometimes a bit of schadenfreude is therapeutic ;)

Ha! :lol:

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,923 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 07, 2011 17:34 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #9

We started the How to photograph a High school senior thread and its turned out to be a great thread. Kind of what we were hoping for and there has been a lot of excellent information shared in there as well as a lot of excellent photographers contributing.

I agree with you nickson. I know benji stepped on his toes a few times offereing critique so you have to be careful. The critique corner gets some productive remarks and critique so you can post in there but in general, there really isnt a place for the wedding photogs to go and help each other out like we do in the HS senior thread. Too bad really because there is a lot of talent in here.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 07, 2011 17:51 |  #10

I stopped giving honest critique long ago. People just don't want it. It takes a lot of effort and time to put in a detailed, helpful response. It's pointless to put in the effort when people don't want to hear it (even though they ask).

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 07, 2011 18:03 |  #11

tim wrote in post #13065969 (external link)

You've said what has been on my mind for a year now. I no longer frequent it.

angusporter.com (external link)

CTP
353 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 07, 2011 18:07 |  #12

I have no where near the seniority nor the credibility of those in this thread but you are spot on Nick. The only value I have found in the photo sharing section is looking at others work for ideas and inspiration. Not much worth in scrolling down and reading anymore.

EOS R + 5D4, 16-35L II, 24L TS-E II, 24L II, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, RF 28-70L, 580ex IIx2
Rockford IL Wedding Photographer (external link), my blog (external link) and Youtube (external link).

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 07, 2011 18:10 |  #13

Most people don't want C&C for some reason. I don't see why you post your images here, if you don't want C&C though.

It's not uncommon to see people get upset at the C&C given in their threads. On the other hand, the advanced Photogs here aren't going out of their way to help anyone either. Just like you guys were saying you stay out of the wedding section. You realize you are 100x better than the newbies, but you aren't going to help them get better.

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

Brant_D
29 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 07, 2011 18:15 |  #14

Actually, 'fro knows photos' just had a post about this not long ago. Although I don't really like the guy myself, he did have a good message. Make sure to give some sort of compliment, about the composition, or the lighting, or whatever. Then give criticism, and a tad about how to improve the shots. I figure if I start doing it, maybe others will too. This way the person doesn't feel like giving up, and knows what to work on. (even though they probably won't)

I'm trying to get more active on the forums, but it is hard when you see so many 'that's awesome' posts. I don't want that, I want advice on how to get better, not to stroke my ego.

5D | 50mm 1.4 | 70-200mm F4
www.eeeandbee.com (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 07, 2011 18:18 |  #15

There is a terrific thread going on here:
Soul Windows
You might right enjoy it. (Once you get to reply #7, it gets better)

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links

11,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sometimes these forums can be disappointing.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.