Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-70 F2.8L Help

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 07, 2011 20:46 |  #16

That really reminds me of a friend who had some awful filter on his lens and couldn't figure out why his photos were so bad. Took the filter off and he was amazed :)

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 07, 2011 20:50 as a reply to  @ post 13067164 |  #17

What shutter speeds are these pics taken at?

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

SoupaSeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 07, 2011 21:01 |  #18

palmor wrote in post #13067280 (external link)
That really reminds me of a friend who had some awful filter on his lens and couldn't figure out why his photos were so bad. Took the filter off and he was amazed :)

I've got a filter on my 70-200mm which could explain why people are saying that it's soft, but it's not even my 70-200mm it's my sister's so I'm not gunna mess with it...

IngersonPCD wrote in post #13067299 (external link)
=Ingerson"PCD";1306729​9]What shutter speeds are these pics taken at?

I believe it was from 160-250 on a tripod.

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 07, 2011 21:03 |  #19

you could send it for repair... it'll cost ya, though. I'd judge that based on how much it cost to purchase it + Cost of repair. If it's 1/3 the price of new, I think i'd keep it.... if more, I'd definitely get my money back and buy another... internal focusing looks like to me, but hey, i'm not a technician.

good luck

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 07, 2011 21:09 as a reply to  @ mikewinburn's post |  #20

I'd like to see some more reasonable photos to judge from. It looks like camera shake to me.

-Eric-
Flickr (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 07, 2011 21:14 as a reply to  @ mikewinburn's post |  #21

I probably don't even know what I'm doing. I quit photography

Don't do that. There is no way that you can create the problem you're seeing. It's flare not camera motion blur. Just return it, get your money back and move on. I'm not a technician but if I had to guess one of the internal elements is out of alignment. But that's no reason for you to give up photography.

Richard
Gear

SoupaSeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 07, 2011 21:17 |  #22

IngersonPCD wrote in post #13067413 (external link)
=Ingerson"PCD";1306741​3]I'd like to see some more reasonable photos to judge from. It looks like camera shake to me.

It was on a tripod. Also why would there be more camera shake on f/2.8 versus f/4.0? What strange kind of mutant would I be in order for that to happen every single time? ;)

Hey thanks everyone for the advice and help. I really appreciate it. I bought the lens used since it was like 66% the price of new which is like most of them on Kijiji/Craigslist. I thought it was worth the gamble, imagine getting a perfectly good 24-70 for two-thirds the price! The guy who sold it to me lives in a really really nice house and has his own website cuz he's a professional photographer. I did a lot of backgrounding first and he seems like a pretty nice guy. Not sure if he intentionally did this to me or not. I'll try to make a deal with him.

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 07, 2011 21:25 |  #23

What was his reason for selling the lens? May I ask what you paid? If he lives in a nice big house and he's a nice guy, he should have zero reason not to give you a refund.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2011 21:27 |  #24

IngersonPCD wrote in post #13067413 (external link)
=Ingerson"PCD";1306741​3]I'd like to see some more reasonable photos to judge from. It looks like camera shake to me.

Not likely - he said shutter speed was 1/160 or 1/200 and the camera was on a tripod.

To the OP - we all get discouraged at times - hang in there..it will work out somehow. As someone mentioned, even if the lens is defective, it can be fixed by Canon - Depending on what you paid, it might be an OK deal even with the repair. Worst case, it costs you more than it should, but it's a great lens and when fixed should last for decades - and it's something you can always sell after it's repaired - Even if you lose $200 or $300 on buying it and selling it, if you just keep it for 5 years, that's just pennies a day. Might not ease the pain now, but think longer term than just today.

If you don't want to mess with it, send me a PM and maybe I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it (if it's within reason).

We all make mistakes and we all get screwed when we think we are getting a great deal - part of life.

Also you still have a chance of just getting your money back from the person who sold it to you - maybe he is an honorable person and will do the right thing.

Whatever happens, I know it seems like a big deal now (big enough to make you say "I quit photography" - In a month it will just be a memory and not seem like the tragedy it seems like today. Things work out. Give it a chance.

Peace,
D..

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 07, 2011 21:32 |  #25

SoupaSeb wrote in post #13067456 (external link)
It was on a tripod. Also why would there be more camera shake on f/2.8 versus f/4.0? What strange kind of mutant would I be in order for that to happen every single time? ;)

Hey thanks everyone for the advice and help. I really appreciate it. I bought the lens used since it was like 66% the price of new which is like most of them on Kijiji/Craigslist. I thought it was worth the gamble, imagine getting a perfectly good 24-70 for two-thirds the price! The guy who sold it to me lives in a really really nice house and has his own website cuz he's a professional photographer. I did a lot of backgrounding first and he seems like a pretty nice guy. Not sure if he intentionally did this to me or not. I'll try to make a deal with him.

If the guy is a pro photographer why not contact him and let him know of your issue. He may be willing to look at it with you and see if he can isolate the problem. I know if I sold something that I didn't have any issues with and the person that bought it did have an issue, I'd be more than willing to work to solve the problem. However, if someone just called me demanding their money back and I knew the product was good when I sold it, I don't know that I'd be very receptive to dealing with the person.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,993 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 07, 2011 21:39 |  #26

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13067531 (external link)
If the guy is a pro photographer why not contact him and let him know of your issue. He may be willing to look at it with you and see if he can isolate the problem. I know if I sold something that I didn't have any issues with and the person that bought it did have an issue, I'd be more than willing to work to solve the problem. However, if someone just called me demanding their money back and I knew the product was good when I sold it, I don't know that I'd be very receptive to dealing with the person.

Best advice yet... :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 07, 2011 22:04 |  #27

SoupaSeb wrote in post #13067456 (external link)

Not trying to come across offensive or like a know-it-all. I think it sucks that you have that lens and it's letting you down. I hope you resolve it in your favor.

-Eric-
Flickr (external link)

SoupaSeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 07, 2011 22:04 |  #28

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13067531 (external link)

Thanks a lot for the advice. I've been having a massive email conversation about it. I've sent him these sample pictures and he insists that this is normal. He keeps on making a big deal about the fact that I use a non-full-frame camera, but I've used my sister's 5D mkII with her own 24-70 (which she got brand new) for longer than I've owned this 60D for. He treats me as if I'm some amateur who's just gotten into using DSLRs but honesty? I just bought an L lens from him, no first time DSLR user would bust a hole in their wallet for this kind of glass. Can you give it to Canon just to take a look at? And by that I mean if there is a problem, not get it fixed just yet? If so I think what I might try to do is basically tell him that I'm going to give it to Canon to take a look at, I'll pay for the fees, UNLESS they find something wrong with it (and judging by the generous feedback from this forum...they will) in which case he has to pay for the check-up/repair or what-not. I'll see if he agrees to that. Hopefully he's a reasonable man.

pitabread
834 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 07, 2011 22:10 |  #29

SoupaSeb wrote in post #13067715 (external link)
Thanks a lot for the advice. I've been having a massive email conversation about it. I've sent him these sample pictures and he insists that this is normal.

He's wrong. I have the same lens and it looks nowhere like what you posted @ 70mm and f/2.8. From what you've posted, it looks like something is wrong with lens.

Bodies: EOS 7D, Rebel XT/350D
Lenses: 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
Accessories: Speedlite 580EX II, Gitzo 1541T tripod, Markins Q3 Traveler ballhead

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 07, 2011 22:15 |  #30

Hearing about your latest email conversation with the the seller, it actually sounds like he is just trying to get rid of you because he knows that he sold you a bad lens. Why was he selling it it the first place?

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links

6,739 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-70 F2.8L Help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.