Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long lense imput 400/500/600

Rezolution
786 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 25, 2011 23:46 |  #16

I would suggest starting with a 7d paired with a 300 2.8 and TCs. You get 300 2.8, 420 f4, and 600 f5.6. Its a lens that is easily handholdable, great for sports and wildlife, and easy to resell if you are in need of more reach. its also easy to find used and less expensive, which leaves room for a second body.

Fuji X-T1 I 10-24 I 23 I 35 I 56 I 18-55 I 55-200
Sony A7R MKII I 35 f1.4 I 55 f1.8 I 135 f1.8 I 16-35 f4 I 70-200 f4 I RX100 MKII I Elinchrom Quadra

sponsored links
shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,518 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 26, 2011 00:21 |  #17

Hollywoodgt wrote in post #12994264 (external link)
How much does age play a factor in buying a lens. This 400mm 2.8L is 5 yrs old, but well kept. Does almost look new.

I have a MK II (date code UN) which is an 11 yr old lens and still superbly brings out excellent results. Along with a second body pair with a 70-200 2.8 added to your arsenal....now my friend you're ready to shoot :)

Good luck on your choices.

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 26, 2011 07:26 |  #18

Rezolution wrote in post #13001579 (external link)
I would suggest starting with a 7d paired with a 300 2.8 and TCs. You get 300 2.8, 420 f4, and 600 f5.6. Its a lens that is easily handholdable, great for sports and wildlife, and easy to resell if you are in need of more reach. its also easy to find used and less expensive, which leaves room for a second body.

^^Yep.

Or look into the new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS. That's on my wish list once I see some more reviews of the thing. It's still fairly new.

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 26, 2011 09:09 |  #19

I have the 100-400, 400/5.6 and 500/4. They are all great lenses and you'd, in most cases, not be able to tell the difference in pictures taken with any of them. The 500/4 is the sharpest, the 100-400 the most versatile and the 400/5.6 the most hand holdable. I chose the 500/4 over the 600 when I was shopping because you can hand hold the 500/4 for a longer period than the 600.

I highly recommend the 500/4 as it is a super, super lens and takes the 1.4x very well.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 05, 2011 19:52 |  #20

Rezolution wrote in post #13001579 (external link)

I see a flaw in that plan - if the OP buys a 300 F2.8IS they will NEVER sell it, regardless of their future requirements!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 05, 2011 22:44 |  #21

First, your cameras are okay. I've used EOS-3, Elan 7, A2E, 1V, 10D, 30D, 50D, 5D and 5DII on my 500mm and they all worked just fine. You might want to consider a 50D, 60D or 7D to replace the T2i... mainly for the AI Servo tracking. Yeah, a 1D would be great, but it's bigger and a whole lot more money, and personally I prefer 1.6X crop over 1.3X.

Second, 500/4 IS is the lightest and most compact of the three you list, and it ain't small... I've handheld it briefly, but use it with a Gitzo 1325 tripod, Kirk BH-1 ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick most of the time... Both the current 600/4 IS and 400/2.8 IS are not recommended to use on the Sidekick, due to their weight (I know some people do... Wimberley is just covering their arse by not recommending it.) Basically, $1000 to $1500 budget for a tripod, head & accessories, too, if you don't already have a solid one. At least, you'll want a very substantial monopod.

Next, you mention some of your uses... I shoot sports, wildlife. Sometimes with 5DII, but mostly 7D and before that 50D... for the "free" 1.6X teleconverter and the tracking ability. 5DII is fine for some wildlife, but really not ideal for most sports or fast moving subjects. It's AI Servo tracking just isn't up to it.

My 500mm sees fairly limited use for sports. It's too long a lot of the time, but I have close access to most events. I did use it from the stands at an equestrian event in May.... looking for high angle shots that eliminated busy background.

I use two 300mm (f4 handheld, f2.8 on tripod) far more often, sometimes with 1.4X teleconverter.

I do use the 500mm some of the time for particularly long reach sports shooting... Cross country equestrian events, cycling, motorsports.

Yes, the 500/4 and 300/2.8 both take 1.4X and 2X (both of mine are II) quite well.

I can't see taking 400/2.8, 500/4 or 600/4 to a zoo, either. In fact, zoos in my area wouldn't let me in with it. I'd take my 300/4 instead... it's hand holdable and reasonable to carry around all day, and I might be able to sneak it in past the gate.

My 500mm sees a lot of use with small wildlife... birds, small furry critters. In the field, though... not so much in zoos.

With any really long lens, you are to some degree at the mercy of the environment. You are shooting through a lot of atmosphere so any dust, haze, fog will heavily effect the quality of your shots. When you don't have good conditions, you either incorporate it in your shots, or switch to a shorter lens and concentrate on nearer subjects.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 06, 2011 06:18 |  #22

amfoto1 wrote in post #13056877 (external link)
First, your cameras are okay. I've used EOS-3, Elan 7, A2E, 1V, 10D, 30D, 50D, 5D and 5DII on my 500mm and they all worked just fine. You might want to consider a 50D, 60D or 7D to replace the T2i... mainly for the AI Servo tracking. Yeah, a 1D would be great, but it's bigger and a whole lot more money, and personally I prefer 1.6X crop over 1.3X.

Second, 500/4 IS is the lightest and most compact of the three you list, and it ain't small... I've handheld it briefly, but use it with a Gitzo 1325 tripod, Kirk BH-1 ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick most of the time... Both the current 600/4 IS and 400/2.8 IS are not recommended to use on the Sidekick, due to their weight (I know some people do... Wimberley is just covering their arse by not recommending it.) Basically, $1000 to $1500 budget for a tripod, head & accessories, too, if you don't already have a solid one. At least, you'll want a very substantial monopod.

Next, you mention some of your uses... I shoot sports, wildlife. Sometimes with 5DII, but mostly 7D and before that 50D... for the "free" 1.6X teleconverter and the tracking ability. 5DII is fine for some wildlife, but really not ideal for most sports or fast moving subjects. It's AI Servo tracking just isn't up to it.

My 500mm sees fairly limited use for sports. It's too long a lot of the time, but I have close access to most events. I did use it from the stands at an equestrian event in May.... looking for high angle shots that eliminated busy background.

I use two 300mm (f4 handheld, f2.8 on tripod) far more often, sometimes with 1.4X teleconverter.

I do use the 500mm some of the time for particularly long reach sports shooting... Cross country equestrian events, cycling, motorsports.

Yes, the 500/4 and 300/2.8 both take 1.4X and 2X (both of mine are II) quite well.

I can't see taking 400/2.8, 500/4 or 600/4 to a zoo, either. In fact, zoos in my area wouldn't let me in with it. I'd take my 300/4 instead... it's hand holdable and reasonable to carry around all day, and I might be able to sneak it in past the gate.

My 500mm sees a lot of use with small wildlife... birds, small furry critters. In the field, though... not so much in zoos.

With any really long lens, you are to some degree at the mercy of the environment. You are shooting through a lot of atmosphere so any dust, haze, fog will heavily effect the quality of your shots. When you don't have good conditions, you either incorporate it in your shots, or switch to a shorter lens and concentrate on nearer subjects.

So the zoo's don't let you in with pro-looking kit?

Will see if my local one is the same (UK)- never thought it could be a problem. Do they give any reasons why?

Gear List

Overread
Goldmember
2,202 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 06, 2011 10:46 |  #23

hania wrote in post #13057845 (external link)

Will see if my local one is the same (UK)- never thought it could be a problem. Do they give any reasons why?

Some of the bigger zoos are much more commercially run and can get a bit uptight about pros walking in with pro gear as they assume anyone shooting with several £K worth of gear is likely to be selling the photos. Most of the bigger zoos operate a policy of restricting sales of photos taken on their property (your agreement to this is in the purchase of the ticket for entry) whereby you can't legally sell the photos without prior permission - that could be a simple yes/no or could be royalties or could be a flat "no we have our own pro".
I've never had a problem with a 70-200mm f2.8 +2*TC though I think if you pull out a big 300mm f2.8 they might get a bit worried. Smaller spaced ones or the very busy might sometimes get uptight about tripods, but I've never had a problem.

Most however won't worry too much provided you're not turning up with masses of gear on a busy weekend (ie getting in the way); whilst many smaller wildlife centres and the like are almost flitting the other way and are often very open to amateurs with big gear (several I've noticed are even catering specifically to the amateur photographer - the British Wildlife centre being one example where its weekday opening hours are only open to pre-booked photographers - though nothing says you have to turn up with anything but a mobile phone with a camera ;))

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 06, 2011 14:59 |  #24

hania wrote in post #13057845 (external link)

They don't want me photographing "their" animals and profiting off of sales of any photos. They just sort of assume anyone with a big lens is a "pro".

Not all zoos are this uptight, but I can name three that are pretty restrictive, in my immediate area (San Francisco Bay Area). At the same time, I know of others that welcome me no matter what I'm carrying and if the see me shooting and talke with me, sometimes say they hope I'll promote their animals and encourage more people to come visit them.

It's just something to check, before you go.

Same is true at some sports venues, if you haven't got a press pass or other authorization. They ignore people with point & shoots or kit SLRs, but freak out about anyone carrying what they assume to be more professional gear. Actually, sports venues can be more restrictive than zoos.

Both also might be concerned about photographers using tripods and/or monopods... Tripping hazard, blocking the view of other guests, etc.

Mainly, I just wouldn't find it a very pleasant day, hiking around the zoo or similar with a 500mm and a tripod! I go to the Historic Races at Monterey whenever I can... it's usually a two or three mile downhill hike from the parking lot to the front entrance, might be another 6 or 8 miles hiking around the track during the long day of racing, then a two or three mile uphill hike at the end of the day! Those are the times I take my 300/4 and 1/4X. If I ever have unusual access there... and a golf cart with a driver... I'll take the big glass!

This coming weekend I'm going to an Equestrian Trail Trials... about a six or eight mile loop, but I'll be on foot shooting the event. I'll probably take the smaller gear for that, too! No body else is nuts enough to try to photograph Trail Trials! ;)

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 06, 2011 15:18 |  #25

I don't get some zoo's reluctance, or hesitance in allowing photographers with "big" glass and/or tripods admittance. They paid their money to get in, and even if they do sell some of the photos that they take, it's basically free advertising for the zoo.

Also, a tripod and/or long lens is no more an obstruction, or nuisance than a bunch of screaming brats running around, disturbing the other patrons, probably bothering the animals, and most likely getting on a lot more people's nerves, and in their way, than a photographer would. Yet they are allowed to enter no problem. (And don't even pay full price, or in some cases ANY admission fee.)

Why should a photographer be "penalized" just because he/she can afford quality gear?

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 06, 2011 16:25 as a reply to  @ Canonswhitelensesrule's post |  #26

Just got this reply back from Chester Zoo, UK:

Thank you for your e-mail

As long as the pictures that you take are for your own personal use and not for publications in magazines or newspapers etc, and as long as the lens you are using does not enter the animals environments, please feel free to help yourself and use whatever equipment you would like to bring.

Hope this helps,

Gear List

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 06, 2011 20:57 |  #27

hania wrote in post #13060410 (external link)
Just got this reply back from Chester Zoo, UK:

Thank you for your e-mail

As long as the pictures that you take are for your own personal use and not for publications in magazines or newspapers etc, and as long as the lens you are using does not enter the animals environments, please feel free to help yourself and use whatever equipment you would like to bring.

Hope this helps,

Looks like there is some common sense out there!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 06, 2011 21:23 |  #28

I actually went to a local zoo yesterday with my 7D and 28-300L...very busy day at the zoo, but every other person had a DSLR with them...most with a 18-55 IS kit lens, wondering why the couldn't get the animals to come within 10 feet of them so they could get a good picture... :)

But, point is, no issues at all with a fairly big "white" lens. Typical "whoah, that sure is a serious camera!" stuff from joe 6-pack, but as I was with my wife and 10 month old daughter, most just left us alone. I carried the single lens in a think tank holster over my shoulder for the afternoon (and I might have snuck my 400mm f/5.6 in the bottom of the stroller, didn't need it though :)).

What amazed me was how many people with Rebel series cameras and a single 18-55 lens, managed to carry around a backpack or similar camera bag big enough to hold an 800mm f/5.6L lens. Compared to the people who pack inefficiently, and then get the prime shooting location in front of the animal (and typically in front of some poor kid waiting) and spend 10 minutes fumbling with things and trying to figure out how to turn their camera on auto so they can shoot a picture, I find the typical photographer to be much more efficient, as well as less intrusive of other peoples space, than many who just went and dropped $500 at Best Buy and now think they can shoot for National Geographic.

End of rant, sorry. Just battled a lot of crowds at the zoo yesterday, and the most considerate people in the whole place seemed to be the ones with expensive Canon/Nikon cameras who were looking to get some cool shots of animals, whom I'm sure weren't looking to make a profit off the pictures.

Chris
Goldmember
4,126 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 08, 2011 08:19 |  #29

Hollywoodgt wrote in post #12991433 (external link)
Hello

I was looking at adding a used long lens to my collection. I know there is a few good seller on our forum and are more trust worthy than ebay or Craigs List. My question is this I just pulled my bid on a 600mm, because I really wasn't sure if it was the lens for me, price was around $7200.00 and it was very clean. I also found a 5 yr clean 400mm 2.8L Is for around $6000.00.

I'd like to use the lens mainly for zoo shoots, nature etc, but would like to break into shooting some sports, high school football etc. I have a 2X Ext I use on my 70-200 2.8L so that would extend a 400mm to 800mm.

Any thoughts on what I maybe missing or what I should consider? Will a 5 yr old 400mm 2.8L work on a T2I and or 5D MX II without an issue?

Thank you so much in advance

Two of the top sellers of long lenses on this forum are bigcountry and voodoo1694. Look at the marketplace feedback to get a feel for anyone that you may want to buy from. I've purchased at least 6 lenses over the past few years here and have always had a great experience. I stay away from new members for the most part.

If sports is a big part of what you want to shoot, I would think that the 300 or 400 2.8 would be the way to go. And you can throw on the 2X for some birds in flight.

I think you would be really impressed with the focusing capability of the 7D or a MKIII or a MKIV. I have the 7D and 5DMKII and it is very easy to go back and forth between these two cameras. I don't think it is nearly as easy to go between a 5D and T2I as the controls are different.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

Hollywoodgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2011 23:58 as a reply to  @ Chris's post |  #30

Thanks for all the responses. I wound up getting a fantastic deal on a 300 click 5D MK II and a 24-70mm 2.8L lens. So I'm just getting back into the long lens search. I think, I'm leaning more towards the 400mm 2.8L IS because it has more uses. Great for low light and sports and if I throw the 2X Ext II which I all ready have. I can go out and get those animal, zoo and bird shots. I'd like the 500mm F4 but I have a chance to shoot some high school foot ball and I don't think it would handle the light. Not that I'd be shooting it a ton, but still is an issue.

Someone mentioned Voo Doo for purchasing, I would second that. He's been a great guy and I haven't even bought anything from him yet.

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

sponsored links

4,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long lense imput 400/500/600
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.