Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Aug 2011 (Monday) 16:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

insurance for dummies... I'm a dummy.

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2011 22:30 |  #16

smyke wrote in post #13025075 (external link)
Here is a quote from their website once you choose Massachusetts for new quote:
"If you are a current State Farm policyholder please contact the Policy Service Office listed below.
*State Farm does not actively market new business in Massachusetts and Rhode Island at this time."

State regulations make Massachusetts a tough state for insurance companies.

actively market though is different then does not offer. is there a chance that they offer it you just have to call them out on it?

also whats so bad about insurance in those two states?

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

sponsored links
DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 03, 2011 22:08 as a reply to  @ rx7speed's post |  #17

I've called StateFarm last year and my understanding was that you could have a policy with them in MA. At least they were willing to move an existing policy from another state to MA without any issues.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 04, 2011 03:40 |  #18

I got $11.5K coverage from Statefarm for $228/yr.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

smyke
560 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 05, 2011 20:56 |  #19

rx7speed wrote in post #13043748 (external link)
actively market though is different then does not offer. is there a chance that they offer it you just have to call them out on it?

also whats so bad about insurance in those two states?

I honestly don't know for sure how to interpret that statement. I guess a simple phone call to them would solve this mistery.

I am not licensed to sell insurance in MA so don't know the insides and outs of their deal but it has a lot to do with the state (or commonwealth rather) regulating the insurance industry pretty heavily so many companies don't want to bother.
RI copies MA in many different aspects so they just roll with it. They figure they are too small to come up with their own stuff. ;)

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 05, 2011 21:14 |  #20

smyke wrote in post #13056372 (external link)
They figure they are too small to come up with their own stuff. ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!

Just kidding... We've been able to shop around here in RI for insurance for a while now. I am actually looking for insurance for my gear too. But I have Nationwide and they are idiots (sorry if anyone works for them...). But working in MA for 20 years or so I know how people complain about insurance all the time.

I was surprised that one person I spoke to had said they required no proof of ownership of my gear, after telling him that I take my gear with me pretty regular and sometimes leave it in my car. He said he would make sure, then get back to me, but that was about 3 months ago. I will call them this week.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

smyke
560 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 06, 2011 08:53 |  #21

I think MA is doing the same thing with changing their regulations but its still work in progress.

Usually no proof of ownership is required for any personal property to write a policy, unless you are "scheduling" items (rider / personal articles floater). In that case you would insure those items based on their value as per receipt or appraisal.
One would definitely have to prove to them somehow that they owned a certain item at the time of a claim, though.

Make sure that if you use your gear to make any money you mention it to your agent. Business use may require a commercial type of policy.

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 06, 2011 20:12 |  #22

smyke wrote in post #13058288 (external link)
Make sure that if you use your gear to make any money you mention it to your agent. Business use may require a commercial type of policy.

I sorta do. I do work part-time for a company shooting running races like marathons and such, but it is nowhere near something I could live on (only 5-6 times since June). Would that count as a business, or does it mean your sole source of income? I just get scared because I love keeping my gear with me but afraid of it getting stolen.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 08, 2011 13:13 |  #23

kenjancef wrote in post #13061286 (external link)
I sorta do. I do work part-time for a company shooting running races like marathons and such, but it is nowhere near something I could live on (only 5-6 times since June). Would that count as a business, or does it mean your sole source of income? I just get scared because I love keeping my gear with me but afraid of it getting stolen.

If you're getting paid to use your equipment then you're in business. Whether or not you could live off the proceeds is irrelevant to the insurance company. Or the state: you are also liable for sales taxes and income taxes.

Richard
Gear

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 16, 2011 23:33 |  #24

honestly myself I would get the business insurance if I make any money from my gear just being knowing my lucky I would be doing something in the process of making money when my gear would break. just a CYA thing as insurance companies seem to try to get out of paying if they legally can.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 17, 2011 08:54 as a reply to  @ rx7speed's post |  #25

just a CYA thing as insurance companies seem to try to get out of paying if they legally can.

Well, yeah. It's a business, not a public service.

One of the things we have to remember as insurance customers is that the purpose of insurance is to manage a financial catastrophe--an event that would ruin or cripple you--not a minor mishap or inconvenience.

Moreover, a profitably insurable catastrophe must be one that is either quite rare or limited in scope (which is why insurance companies insure against tornadoes in Oklahoma without batting an eye, but wince at insuring against hurricanes in Florida). Tornadoes happen a lot in Oklahoma, but the odds of any particular person being hit by one are pretty small, and they don't usually hit many people when they occur...compared to hurricanes in Florida.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 17, 2011 13:40 |  #26

yup and since they more or less write the rules on how, what, when stuff can be insured might as well play it on the safe side and play by their rules if you want coverage. otherwise you are gambling on if they will cover you or not and when playing with camera gear you have expensive things that they might back out of covering if they can. with that if I was to get insurance (still trying to get it cause I can't afford it right now which sucks) I plan on declaring it as a business even though I don't make but change out of it.

sponsored links

3,941 views & 0 likes for this thread
insurance for dummies... I'm a dummy.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.