Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 01:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The three stages of PotN (New Member Process)

IMADreamer
499 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 08, 2011 11:33 |  #31

Why is this not in an OT section of the forum? Looks like the OP needs to go back to stage one of posting of forums: post in the correct section.

Jason: 60d user. My flicker page feel free to friend or contact me: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/exorimadreamer/ (external link)
www.infinite-garage.com (external link)

sponsored links
HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 08, 2011 11:37 as a reply to  @ post 13069601 |  #32

IMAGE: http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/files/original/flying-cat-fight.jpg

Ain't nothin but a thing.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Sep 08, 2011 11:46 |  #33

I dunno what stage it is, but I'm walking down the street or in a store without my camera thinking "What would be the best composition for that?" every time I turn my head. Sometimes I tilt my head and my wife says "Oh, you got a crick in your neck?"... and I say No, but I don't try to explain.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 08, 2011 11:52 |  #34

I'm in stage three of life; old enough to know that I shouldn't do it, (insert random stupid act here) but young enough to think that I still can.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,710 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 08, 2011 11:58 |  #35

HoosierJoe wrote in post #13070377 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

bw!

feedback

gear list

craigeeez
101 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 08, 2011 12:31 |  #36

alt4852 wrote in post #13069634 (external link)
am i the only one who doesn't see how this thread is offensive at all? :confused:

Nope ..... I'm practically a newbie and I found it funny, and I'm really scratching my head as to why some find offensive ?

(hastily re-reads OP's first post again ...,)

Canon 50D | EF-S 17-85 IS USM | EF 75-300 | EF 50mm f1.4 | G11 | Canon EOS 5 | Sigma 28-70mm
Please visit and comment on my flickr site -------> http://www.flickr.com/​photos/25792095@N02/ (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,710 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 08, 2011 12:51 |  #37

kind of with craig on this. if we can't make fun of ourselves, as we've all done it..then who?

feedback

gear list

Rebootnut
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 08, 2011 12:56 |  #38

Complete new guy to the hobby, but I found it rather amusing.

Noting offensive here, folk. Move along! :D

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 08, 2011 12:59 |  #39

I disagree. ;)

1. Obtain gear
2. Start going broke
3. Go to 1.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Mikail
89 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 08, 2011 14:28 |  #40

Oridus wrote in post #13069555 (external link)
Kind of rude to post this in my opinion. People are always going to ask simple questions, and it'll never change. They would rather have a conversation with someone to get the answer they need because that's what a social forum is... and that's what POTN is. Granted, the search button does work rather well, but that also takes away from the aspect that, again, this is a social forum. *sigh*

By the OP's theory, because I'm new and only have 46 posts, I should be in stage one still, asking tons of questions about camera bodies, and that I don't know jack. Well, I'll be the first to apologize that I don't have the knowledge and experience that you do, and I'll definitely go out of my way to make sure I have EVERY single answer to EVERY question before I even come back here, so as not to bother you with stupid newbie questions. /sarcasm.

I'm getting ready to go to school for photography, will be starting my own business eventually, and buying a decent amount of gear (a lot of which I currently have very basic knowledge on how to use, but that won't stop me from doing it), so I will be learning a lot a long the way, and have the tools to do it. But if I have a question that I feel hasn't been answered, and I cannot find that answer using the search button within a reasonable amount of time, I'm going to start a new post, or find a post relatively close to my question, then ASK that question. I don't know if you know this, but there's hundreds beyond hundreds of hours of posts to read through on some topics... something of which I don't want to sit through, especially if someone (like a lot here are) is more than happy to tailor the answer to my question to ME and MY needs for MY knowledge and MY advancement in the craft because THEY WANTED to help.

Sorry, just ranting. I'm done now.

u sound butt hurt.

I find this forum to be more noob friendly than FM...which is perfect for a noob like me! Its a great resource to learn about photography.

5Dc + 17-40L f/4 + 50 f/1.8 + 70-200L f/4 IS

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 08, 2011 14:29 |  #41

Thorrulz wrote in post #13069202 (external link)
You left out the most important stage. Stage 4 is where you realize to get those great shots posted here, it's not the camera, lens or lighting equipment alone but the knowledge and skill you must acquire to use those tools properly. From the initial setup to the final post processing of an image the hardware is only a small part of capturing an enduring image.
Stage 4 is investing in yourself so you can use those tools successfully.

I did get my morning chuckle out of the way reading your post though.;)

I agree with this entire statement. But I'm not there yet.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 08, 2011 14:37 |  #42

Wow...some of you need to chill out. I'm sure JD posted this tongue in cheek. :lol:

I'll just add another phase...

The "I'm going to restrict myself to using one prime so I don't have to worry about the technical stuff and only concern myself with creating art" phase. :lol:;)

nyc2sd
368 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 08, 2011 15:12 |  #43

I think it's just some lighthearted humor. For those who are truly offended you shouldn't take this forum (or any other on the internet) too seriously.

Canon 70D, 580EXII, 16-35mk 2.8IIL, 50 1.4, 70-200 F2.8 ISL
Webmaster at The Millionaire Car Club (external link) -
My FLICKR (external link)

silvrbullet
616 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 08, 2011 15:17 |  #44

For me, I went glass, body, lighting. And now I'm bouncing in between glass and lighting!

And there really should be a stage 4 - Software/PP - Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

nyc2sd
368 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 08, 2011 15:42 |  #45

FWIW I would encourage newbies to explore all the sections of POTN. I really started getting the most out of POTN when I explored the other sections (C&C, Retouching etc..)

Canon 70D, 580EXII, 16-35mk 2.8IIL, 50 1.4, 70-200 F2.8 ISL
Webmaster at The Millionaire Car Club (external link) -
My FLICKR (external link)

sponsored links

13,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
The three stages of PotN (New Member Process)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.