Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 02 Sep 2011 (Friday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Devil's Playground, Pikes Peak Colorado

hiracing
125 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 02, 2011 08:12 |  #1

Hiked up to Devil's Playground at 12000 feet last weekend. Carried the camera, two lenses and a camcorder. What was I thinking!  ??? Four hours up - one and a half down. :)

Adjusted levels a bit and used PTLens to help correct some of the UWA distortion. C&C welcome and much appreciated. I need all the help I can to make better photos.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

<click for flickr page and EXIF>

Peace!
Carl

Peace!
Carl

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength - E. Hoffer
Hate is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die. - Native American

sponsored links
bttriple
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 02, 2011 08:32 |  #2

you hiked up 12000 feet and almost half the picture is clouds? I want to look over the edge and see more of the view....only about 1/4 of the picture is the view "back to earth".....but that is just me....I like the colors....

hiracing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 02, 2011 08:53 |  #3

bttriple wrote in post #13040256 (external link)
you hiked up 12000 feet and almost half the picture is clouds? I want to look over the edge and see more of the view....only about 1/4 of the picture is the view "back to earth".....but that is just me....I like the colors....

Thanks so much for the C&C bttriple. You make a great point that I didn't consider at the time. I'll try to add some of those next time. :) Any tips on preventing or minimizing vertigo when taking those kinds of shots?

Carl

Peace!
Carl

Hate is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die. - Native American

kbColorado
Goldmember
1,261 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 02, 2011 10:34 |  #4

hiracing wrote in post #13040343 (external link)
Thanks so much for the C&C bttriple. You make a great point that I didn't consider at the time. I'll try to add some of those next time. :) Any tips on preventing or minimizing vertigo when taking those kinds of shots?

Carl

I've gotten a little wobbly peering over the edge ... ain't nothin' wrong with laying down on your belly to shoot ... it helps ;)

cheers

kb

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

bttriple
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 02, 2011 11:57 |  #5

maybe tripod? it separates you from the edge but you can aim it down without being near the edge.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 02, 2011 12:29 |  #6

Carl

Get on your belly ... I got to the edge of Cliffs of Moher (200 meter drop) on my belly. I am 6'5" so the balance was good. The little white specks about 1/3 of the way up are seagulls. I love shooting off the face of a cliff but it is not something I do standing up unless there is a proper barrier.

hiracing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 05, 2011 09:48 as a reply to  @ jetcode's post |  #7

Thanks so much for the tips everyone. :) I'll definitely try creeping out to the edge on my belly next time we go. I found some hiking poles with a camera mount under the screw off handle. Thinking about trying that too - with the camera self-timer to trigger the shot.

Peace!
Carl

Peace!
Carl

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 08, 2011 14:43 |  #8

The trekking pole camera mount will work for you when your blood is punping at altitude.. it'll definitely help keep you steady while shooting landscapes. but it won't allow you to do self portraits..
make sure when using the mount you get everything set up with the camera on the pole, exposure etc. When you're ready to take the real picture, cross the poles at the handles and hold the crossed point with your left hand, and operate the camera with your right. the crossed poles prevent left to right movement, and your left hand should eliminate almost all fore/aft movement.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

KoalaCowboy
Goldmember
1,542 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 09, 2011 11:24 |  #9

hiracing,
Love the area, but agree there's a bit more cloud than I'd prefer.

What I may have tried would be a small "gorilla" tripod that you could put on one of the rocks in front of you, and try to capture more of the scenery, with a little bit of cloud towards the top, with some highlights & shadows to add effect.

Colorado sure is fun for photography! :D

- -
Pete
Gripped 5D Mk III / 24-105 / 16-35 II / 70-200 II / 600EX-RT / LEE Filters / F-Stop backpacks / Gitzo GT3542LS / RRS BH-55
USKestrel Photography (external link)

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 11, 2011 17:52 |  #10

bttriple wrote in post #13040256 (external link)

LOL, the trail does not start at zero feet. Starting altitude is around 7,000 feet, give or take.

To the OP, you were in my backyard....I love living here! I bet you slept like a baby that night. That is a workout and then some with gear. I like the shot.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 11, 2011 17:58 |  #11

Any tips on preventing or minimizing vertigo when taking those kinds of shots?

Carl

I think each person is different. I seem to be able to look over some things easily, and most things not so easily. I find that buildings are worse for me, but I can look down from 13k feet or 14k feet and I am good....most of the time. LOL

Do you live around Colorado Springs?

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

accesser
91 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 11, 2011 19:13 |  #12

Great work on the hike up the top !
I like your composure as when its included with your text about the hike I think helps to make the photo be more human if that makes any sense like I was looking out of your eyes after you had hiked up

Jason / Brisbane QLD flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mk II 40D, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

Mrslinger85
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2011 23:12 |  #13

accesser wrote in post #13086495 (external link)
I like your composure as when its included with your text about the hike I think helps to make the photo be more human if that makes any sense like I was looking out of your eyes after you had hiked up

I agree. Exactly what I was thinking.

Jon E.
My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,472 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2011 10:15 |  #14

I really like this one. The composition could be a little stronger by cropping off a bit of the sky, but the fact that there is so much foreground is a very good thing imo. Hanging over the edge looking down won't make a better photograph. Sure, you'd see more of what's done, but you'd lose the sense of precipice that's captured in your shot.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

hiracing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2011 12:15 |  #15

Big huge thank you to everyone for the C&C and good input.

David Arbogast wrote in post #13089730 (external link)
I really like this one. The composition could be a little stronger by cropping off a bit of the sky, but the fact that there is so much foreground is a very good thing imo. Hanging over the edge looking down won't make a better photograph. Sure, you'd see more of what's done, but you'd lose the sense of precipice that's captured in your shot.

At work right now, but I'm going to crop out about the top half of the sky (just below the blue hole top left). I def agree that it would make it better... help focus more on the climb than the view.

accesser wrote in post #13086495 (external link)

Thanks so much! That's why I included my feet. I really wanted to give the impression that I was tired -- I was pretty much jelly legs by this point. :) Last 1000 feet or so were step, breathe, step.

Tdragone wrote in post #13071310 (external link)
The trekking pole camera mount will work for you when your blood is punping at altitude.. it'll definitely help keep you steady while shooting landscapes. but it won't allow you to do self portraits..
make sure when using the mount you get everything set up with the camera on the pole, exposure etc. When you're ready to take the real picture, cross the poles at the handles and hold the crossed point with your left hand, and operate the camera with your right. the crossed poles prevent left to right movement, and your left hand should eliminate almost all fore/aft movement.

That's a great idea! Never thought about triangulating the poles. Def gonna try it. :)

KoalaCowboy wrote in post #13075787 (external link)
hiracing,
Love the area, but agree there's a bit more cloud than I'd prefer.

What I may have tried would be a small "gorilla" tripod that you could put on one of the rocks in front of you, and try to capture more of the scenery, with a little bit of cloud towards the top, with some highlights & shadows to add effect.

Colorado sure is fun for photography! :D

We do have a little gorilla pod. I think you have a good idea in taking it for those types of shots. If I leave the camcorder home and carry the pod instead I'll even be down a few ounces!

TGrundvig wrote in post #13086124 (external link)
LOL, the trail does not start at zero feet. Starting altitude is around 7,000 feet, give or take.

To the OP, you were in my backyard....I love living here! I bet you slept like a baby that night. That is a workout and then some with gear. I like the shot.

Thanks TGrundvig! I had the best night's sleep in a LONG time. I didn't weigh the pack before I left but I tried to just pack enough so I wouldn't get hypothermia if I got stuck over night. 3 quarts of water, jerky, firestarter magnesium, knife, compass, space blanket, extra socks, rain gear and bear spray. We did a little scrambling at 12000 without the pack and it sure was easier without it!

Overall it was a great experience for a first time at the age of 43. I'm definitely going to keep at it - was a great boost of self-confidence. Next time I'm going to carry some freeze dried something plus the MSR stove. Sure would have been nice to have a hot meal before heading back down. Won't add but a pound or so - one more pound won't kill me right? ;)

We live in Woodland Park - about 17 or so miles up 24 from the Springs. Living at 8500 really does help with the breathing at higher elevations. :)

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to post C&C and ideas/help. I really do appreciate it.

Peace,
Carl

Peace!
Carl

sponsored links

3,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
Devil's Playground, Pikes Peak Colorado
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.