Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 20:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

post processing steps in order?

snake_man
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 08, 2011 20:05 |  #1

Hi,

A n00b question. What is the order of the post processing steps in lightroom and PS
after importing file in RAW format from your camera?

Is it best to resize my image first before applying color correction and white balance.
I know some recommend for sharpening to be applied at as a last step

sponsored links
bmitch
144 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 08, 2011 20:13 |  #2

First, I don't apply every correction to every photo, it all depends on what I have and what I want out of it.

That being said my workflow moves from left to right and then top to bottom.

I apply sharpening using one of Matt Kloskowski's presets (you can download them from his website)
Then I move over to the top right and crop if it needs it. Then I move down through WB/Temperature, exposure, blacks, clarity, vibrance and then contrast.

Again, I don't always do all of these things, and on occasion I'll go back to a previous step if something needs to be tweaked.

That's my flow.

Mitch

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM, 580EX II
Canon 5d Mark II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM, Canon 17-40mm f4L USM, 50mm f/1.8 II, 430EX
http://www.brishanphot​ography.com (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 08, 2011 20:39 |  #3

Steps.....
1. Biggest change needed.
2. Second biggest change needed.
3. Third biggest change needed
4. etc
5. etc

Just messing with you. But it is basicaly true.

As far as sizing I do it last before exporting. You want as much info in the image as you can get when doing any editing.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Eric ­ Xu
688 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 08, 2011 20:45 |  #4

Lightroom does everything in one step thankfully. Which is why it's preferable to pixel editors like Photoshop for most of the things you do with a photograph.

For the average photograph, I start off with doing everything I can effectively accomplish without sacrificing quality in Lightroom, such as exposure compensation, shadow fill, lens corrections, etc.. This includes capture sharpening (unless NR is required)

When I'm done with the photograph in LR, I move to Photoshop for creative sharpening and any fancy cloning/warping that needs to be done. If NR is required, I'll hold off on capture sharpening in LR, do NR first in Photoshop with Neat Image, then capture sharpen, then creative sharpen. Finally, I'll print or export to web with final output sharpening applied.

My Flickr. (external link) My Gear

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 08, 2011 21:05 as a reply to  @ Eric Xu's post |  #5

For me starting in RAW it's:

exposure
White Balance
highlights/shadows
saturation
initial sharpening (to deal with A/A effects)
output to photoshop
noise reduction
Levels adjustment
color/hue/saturation (if needed)
curves
retouching and other pixel editing
resizing
output sharpening

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 08, 2011 22:57 |  #6

Some people are "committed" to finalyzing their work in Photoshop, others prefer to get optimal work out of Lightroom and, if possible avoid going to Photoshop if possible.

A lot depends on the photo(s), of course, and also on the demands of your work and workflow.

You don't say if you shoot Raw or jpeg, and that makes a difference as well. Lightroom, as well as Adobe Camera Raw, is designed to make use of the advantages of the Raw format, which has greater latitude in making "broad" adjustments to tones/colors, both in highlight and shadow recovery but also in a better all-over range of adjustments, whereas once you have converted to an RGB image (jpeg, tiff or psd) then the Photoshop editor has fantastic tools for working with those images and then Lightroom falls behind (except if you are using it to manage your library).

I happen to be in the "Lightroom only (if possible) workflow" crowd. So, I try to make maximal use of the various Lightroom tools with my Raw captures. Global adjustments like White Balance and those in the Basic panel, the Tone Panel and the HSL panel do great, and of course there are eyedropper tools for "targetted" adjustments. And the Detail panel has sharpening and noise reduction tools that have become quite sophisticatd and powerful. To me, they are not only useful for "capture sharpening" but often provide a very good final output image. But, the Export and Print functions also contain "output sharpening" which can be used to taste.

And then, Lightroom has the Local Adjustment Brushes and the other tools at the top of the Develop panel (below the histogram). If you've never familiarized yourself with these tools, well, you're missing something. Of course there is the Crop tool, the clone/heal tool, the rest of the set, but if you are serious about preparing an image without resorting to Photoshop then the brushes can apply a multitude of adjustments to an object which, by the way, includes both Sharpening and Softening brushes.

As far as processing after Exporting/Resizing an image, well, if it helps the image then so be it. Of course at that point there can be a lot of usefulness if you go into Photoshop for the various sharpening tools that you can get use of as well as other work that can be done to produce the finished product. Of course you could run the resized image through another round of Lightroom for "output sharpening" as well -- it's up to you and what you want to do!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
post processing steps in order?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.