Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 09 Sep 2011 (Friday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mk III?

ajstonestreet
280 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2011 11:26 |  #1

I just heard from my local camera shop that they claim that canon is going to be announcing a 3rd generation 5d in the next 3 or 4 months. They were confident enough that they told me to hold off on buying.

Can anyone confirm this/speculate?

I'm torn between getting a 5d mkii now or waiting

I have gear. Period.

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
15,288 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2011 11:32 |  #2

ajstonestreet wrote in post #13075802 (external link)
Can anyone confirm this/speculate?

No

And neither can they.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 09, 2011 11:33 |  #3

Where have you been? Ever look at the rumor section here? Nobody knows what Canon will be doing, including your camera shop guy.

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2011 11:35 |  #4

canon doesnt know what they are doing

and your mind was just blown!

in all honestly noone knows, for all we know they could annouce a 7D mkII instead or an 8D mkI

noone knows :p its all speculation and hopeful thinking i would like to see a 5DmkIII

ajstonestreet
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2011 11:37 |  #5

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I would just hate to buy a 5d MkII, since I really want to get one, and then have the price go down drastically because it is replaced by something better

I have gear. Period.

ajstonestreet
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2011 11:40 |  #6

Which also brings up another point, how does image quality compare on the 5d classic and 5d mkii. I dont really need the mp

I have gear. Period.

ConverseMan
766 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2011 11:59 |  #7

There was a thread comparing the two on here about 2 days ago. I would search for it and read up. It helped me decide. I went with the 5d2 for the sake of not having to upgrade again for along time.

Nathan W.
Nikon D700 | Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 85mm 1.8 | AlienBees
Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,288 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2011 11:59 |  #8

ajstonestreet wrote in post #13075858 (external link)
Which also brings up another point, how does image quality compare on the 5d classic and 5d mkii. I dont really need the mp

There is at least 1 very well regarded photographer that posts on the G&M section that really likes his 5Dc. Search Dean Capture

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,917 posts
Gallery: 1733 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 09, 2011 12:01 |  #9

ajstonestreet wrote in post #13075842 (external link)
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I would just hate to buy a 5d MkII, since I really want to get one, and then have the price go down drastically because it is replaced by something better

Well... there are very few cameras that you could possibly buy that is worth more than their original MSRP. (None that I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there are some really old cameras from the 1800's that are worth a lot.)

In other words... buy what you want/need and don't worry about the depreciation in value.

As far as the 5D2 vs. 5D (classic)... if you don't need the higher MP, high ISO, and video... then the original 5D will provide you with amazing IQ. I'm pleased with iso1600 and even 3200 as the noise (not much really) cleans up quite well in post.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 09, 2011 12:27 |  #10

It's like buying a car... depreciation starts in 30 seconds or 30 feet, whichever comes first, with cameras and cars.

5D and 5DII will likely hold value a bit better since they are sort of a cult camera and very highly regarded. But there will be depreciation.

On the bright side, the full framers have about a 3 year market cycle, between new model intros. That's better than entry level cameras with 12 or 18 months. Or G-series compact digitals that see a new model intro every year practically like clock work.

5DIII has long been rumored and is actually overdue... if the three years between the first and second models can be considered enough of a pattern to use for predictions.

On the other hand, both previous 5D models were announced about a year after respective 1Ds models - probably deliberately so the sale of the lower priced model doesn't have too much impact on the sale of the top of the line model - and we haven't heard word one about a 1Ds Mark IV yet, either. Maybe Canon will do that again. Maybe they won't. Who knows? Certainly not any of Canon's retailers... they are just guessing, like us.

There's also been a rumor that there won't be a 1Ds Mark IV, per se... That the 1D series might go in a completely new direction... With one model (maybe a 1D Mark V) that offers FF, 1.3X and perhaps even 1.6X all in one camera, can be fitted with crop sensor lenses, that has frame rates corresponding to the different formats, etc. Sounds logical, since other camera manufacturers that start with "N" have already done it in some of their models. But, who knows!?

Your camera store guy is really just speculating and spreading rumors.

One thing for sure, if you go buy a 5DII today don't worry, it won't stop taking great photos the day a new model is rolled out. If you're thinking investment, then you probably should look at gold or Apple stock, maybe Tesla if you have really high risk tolerance... instead of DSLRs (or a new car). If you are wanting to take photos, then the 5DII is still and will be a great camera for quite a while in the future.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 11, 2011 08:58 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

5d II age pretty much guarantees that replacent should be out soon. I personally would not buy such a old product, just to have a new version released in 1-4 months.

Gear List

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 11, 2011 09:15 |  #12

The 5DII takes great photos and will continue taking great photos even after the 5dIII comes out and think of all the great photos that you missed while waiting and wondering when the next one comes out.

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2011 09:16 |  #13

The price will go down, but I doubt it will drastically go down. The 5D2 is a very popular body and will remain so for many years. Most predictions I've seen of the drop peg it at $200 max. Look at this way, buy a 5D2 now, let's say the announce the 5D3 in a few months - it won't be widely available for at least 6 months. You happily take pictures with your 5D2 for 9 months and decide to sell and upgrade. Assuming the worst case $200 drop, it cost you a little over $20 to use your 5D2 for that time. You can't rent one for that.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 08:31 |  #14

I can't imagine a store these days would turn away a sale of a $2500 product and telling a customer a new version might be out within the next quarter year! That salesman won't last long turning away business that might end up buying a camera elsewhere! You gotta close the deal when they are in your store!

ajstonestreet
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 12, 2011 10:41 |  #15

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #13089295 (external link)
I can't imagine a store these days would turn away a sale of a $2500 product and telling a customer a new version might be out within the next quarter year! That salesman won't last long turning away business that might end up buying a camera elsewhere! You gotta close the deal when they are in your store!

Well thats what i was thinking. But hes been working there forever!

I have gear. Period.

sponsored links

3,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mk III?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.