Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 08 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 17:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Be cautious with Adorama's Shipping methods

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 09, 2011 17:43 |  #31

5 business days from 9/4 is 9/12. 5 business days from 9/6 is 9/13

Sounds like they haven't yet taken longer than advertised.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links
sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 09, 2011 17:52 |  #32

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #13077392 (external link)
Streamlite. I've ordered a battery grip and I think it took 6 days for it to get to me from NY to MA (~ 200m miles). It seems that the handover process in these hybrid shipping methods is quite inefficient.

YES that was it. awful stuff. Glad they got rid of it.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,744 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 09, 2011 18:46 |  #33

bigcountry wrote in post #13077234 (external link)
Then why did i get the UPS package today? Because ground shipping from NY/NJ/East coast to Louisville is TWO DAYS. Trust me, I know all about shipping.

That means you got one order early, not that you got the other one late. You can complain about the carrier if you want, but the shipping time estimate hasn't been missed.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 09, 2011 19:05 |  #34

moose10101 wrote in post #13077760 (external link)
That means you got one order early, not that you got the other one late. You can complain about the carrier if you want, but the shipping time estimate hasn't been missed.

I agree with this. Your expectations were too high and therefor wrong. Adorama lived up to their delivery promise (3-5 business days).

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 09, 2011 20:43 |  #35

Thank you all for educating me, now i know...Do not have high expectations of certain companies.

For items that i need before a certain date, i'll be calling my orders in from here on out to get clarification on their shipping procedures.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 09, 2011 21:09 |  #36

bigcountry wrote in post #13078245 (external link)
Thank you all for educating me, now i know...Do not have high expectations of certain companies.

For items that i need before a certain date, i'll be calling my orders in from here on out to get clarification on their shipping procedures.

Hmm actually thats a good Idea. I always forget about calling it in.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 09, 2011 21:57 |  #37

snyderman wrote in post #13077060 (external link)
Complaining about something you don't know 'jack' about isn't the solution. Most people don't understand something as simple as 'transit days' or how a carrier counts them. This is important information when they say 3-5 days. 3-5 days from when?

When did you place your order? Was your order placed before or after the order cutoff time for the day? What is the vendor's pick-to-ship cycle time?

3-5 days isn't real accurate unless you understand the rules. Completely evidenced by the original poster who hasn't received the goods.

dave

I'm glad you're a shipping expert, but the OP thinking he knows transit times is exactly what caused his misplaced expectations. The seller is responsible to get your item to you by the promised date. You are not entering in to an agreement with the carrier, so understanding how they define terms does not matter. If you need something by a certain date you need to look at the info provided by the seller. If you are not sure it will meet your requirements you need to call them up and verify it.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 09, 2011 22:46 |  #38

bigcountry wrote in post #13078245 (external link)

Nope, still missed it. Do not pay for 5 day shipping if you really want 2.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 10, 2011 01:09 |  #39

i know plenty about shipping and procedures, but thank you for everyone's input.

i

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 10, 2011 01:32 |  #40

it's odd how radio popper can ship a package from washington state to my house in three days, but yet adorama which is much closer can't make it happen.

so again, if you are a pro and need something, and even if you are one day away, be cautious when buying from adorama...

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 10, 2011 07:19 |  #41

bigcountry wrote in post #13079248 (external link)
it's odd how radio popper can ship a package from washington state to my house in three days, but yet adorama which is much closer can't make it happen.

so again, if you are a pro and need something, and even if you are one day away, be cautious when buying from adorama...

I just don't get this comment. I've purchased stuff from Amazon with free shipping. They sometimes estimate 7+ days for delivery, and I have rec'd stuff as fast as the next day. That doesn't mean I expect every delivery to be next day. I still trust their estimate. If they beat it that's great, but that should not be the expectation.

We should all (pro or not) be cautious about shipping when buying from anyone if we need the item by a certain date. I define cautious as understanding when the item can be expected per the shipping option I choose when I make purchase.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 10, 2011 07:56 |  #42

Really what is "one day from Adorama" thing? If I live right next to B & H and order something online does it mean I will expect them to send an employee right-away to my place as I am really 2 minutes away from them?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 10, 2011 09:02 |  #43

bigcountry wrote in post #13079248 (external link)

Adorama does not handle shipping logistics which can be very complicated at times. I bought a monitor that went west then north a bit and still arrived on time to me in the Southeast. Many packages are shipped to off route destinations when there aren't enough packages to fill a truck or plane to a direct destination. It can be more economical for the shipper then loading half a truck when taking into account the overall costs. Consider even if your package went from NY to CA to NJ and back up to another part of NY the shippers can actually make that happen overnight.

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 10, 2011 18:37 |  #44

Todd Lambert wrote in post #13076800 (external link)
I've gotten to the point where I just order everything with overnight or 2-day shipping. I factor that cost in with everything I do. Unless I absolutely couldn't care less when it arrives, this method just makes sure that I'm not unhappy or waiting for something.

All of the free shipping crap is just that... crap. I take it, if I don't need the item in the next two weeks. If I do need it inside of two weeks, I expedite and ship it 2-day or overnight depending on the ordering window/time frame.

Exactly, if you need it by a certain date than pony up the extra scratch instead of hoping it arrives by the time you need it and complaining when it doesn't.

These types of posts always bring me back to watching this clip.
http://www.youtube.com …1CZTLk-Gk&feature=related (external link)

Christian.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 11, 2011 01:30 |  #45

Thanks, Gordon, for the heads up on this thread.

To check the system is working as it should, I entered a random zip code on the checkout page USA: LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY 40202

These are the shipping options I was offered:

Super Saver (7-10 Business Days) $0.00
Standard Shipping 3-5 Business Days $18.50
UPS 3 Business Days $25.45
UPS 2 Business Days Air $37.25
UPS Next Business Day Air $62.00

More information on shipping methods

When I click on More information on shipping methods

another window opened showing:

Domestic:
Super Saver

7-10 Business Days Delivery Service (7-10 business days from date shipped.)
Standard Shipping

3-5 days for the East Coast, 4-6 Days for Central USA and 5-7 for West Coast.
We use a variety of carriers for the best delivery method. The days specified for delivery are from date shipped, most orders will ship the day the order is placed, see details.

UPS 3 Day
Three Business Day delivery to most locations in all 48 states.

UPS 2nd Day Air
UPS provides Two Business Day delivery to every address throughout the United States.

UPS Next Day Air
available to every in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. UPS guarantees delivery by 10:30 a.m., noon, or end of day the next business day depending on destination.
US Air Mail

Offers 7 - 10 day service to most domestic destinations.
US Express Mail

One Business day delivery to most destinations.

Therefore, an order for an in-stock, new item, placed on September 4th, would ship on the 6th - and arrive on or before September 13th.

An order for an in-stock new item, placed on September 6th before 6:00 pm EST, would also arrive on or before September 13th. If placed after 6:00 pm it would arrive on or before September 14th.

As it states in the new window, 3-5 days for the East Coast......We use a variety of carriers for the best delivery method.

We try to offer a range of shipping options to suit every customer's requirements - in terms of time and cost. This can mean, for example, that if a customer selects 3-5 day shipping but an item is exceptionally bulky or heavy it will ship UPS, with Adorama covering the additional shipping costs.

sponsored links

7,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
Be cautious with Adorama's Shipping methods
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.