Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Sep 2011 (Friday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod Kit options for a dummy

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 09, 2011 14:56 |  #1

Ok, I know jack squat about tripods folks, for the last 3 years I have been using a flimsy aluminum Sony tripod that was intended for a small Handycam, that has a cheap plastic head :o. I can't believe I have mounted thousands of dollars in equipment atop this flimsy piece of crap for so long, I'm long overdue for a decent tripod.

The cameras I will be using a 5D2 and occasionally a 1D2, with the largest lens being a 70-200 2.8 (Non IS). I suspect that my flash will be on there every once in a while as well.

I know there are a few threads on the subject, but I would REALLY appreciate some help here from folks with actual hands-on experience from the particular tripod model(s) they recommend. I would just like to get the tripod and head all in a "Kit" and not have to fool with ordering separate pieces, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 09, 2011 15:13 |  #2

Man of few words, "Look here". I've got one, only I added the spiked foot option another $32.00. as Tony the Tiger says GREAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ROB_Tripod_Kit_​Black.html (external link)

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

whu-1
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 10, 2011 02:56 |  #3

There are 4 manfotto reviews here
www.cameralabs.com/rev​iews/Manfrotto_190XPRO​B_tripod/ (external link)
read the reviews , and watch the video , basically centre column up you have a mono pod for stability wise , so look at the heights without the c/c up and see what you can live with the height . I was in the same boat was set on the 055cx then thought about travel
and going to order a benro travel angle carbon fiber because of the fold length . so check out the fold length/weight too .

p.s could not bring my self to order a $600 tripod ( travel tripod ) that cost $100 to make and id wager real world if the q/c them I could not tell the difference .
happy shopping

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 10, 2011 14:30 |  #4

If you are are into sports maybe you should look Into a monopod?

10megapixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 10, 2011 16:24 |  #5

Fricks wrote in post #13081002 (external link)
If you are are into sports maybe you should look Into a monopod?

Not doing as much sports these days. When I did, I never used a mono-pod.

Gear List & Feedback

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 10, 2011 17:00 |  #6

For something that is cheap but yet strong and durable with a great name behinds it's product is Manfrotto. Well it isn't cheap but doesn't cost upwards of $6000 for a good tripod unless you get into the carbon fiber ones.

Manfrotto 055xProb is a popular tripod leg and a poplar head if you like ball heads is the 498RC2. Those paired up make a great tripod for a tight budget.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 10, 2011 18:58 |  #7

10megapixel wrote in post #13081332 (external link)
Not doing as much sports these days. When I did, I never used a mono-pod.

Well what are you planning to use it for? If you are doing alot of traviling you will want a carbon fiber gitzo 2 series or a feisol.if you plan to keep it in 1 spot then really anything will work. also what is your price range?

1 thing I have learned is not to buy cheap on tripods... Or don't buy off brand names stick to the main brands(gitzo, feisol, manfroto, gittios, ect)

Also keep in mind that a ball head is also a must! Possibly even more important then the tripod;)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,834 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 10, 2011 19:51 |  #8

if you do any macro, the Giottos MT or MTL 8300 and 9300 series might interest you. http://www.giottos.com​/ (external link)

If you have more money budgeted, the Gitzo Explorer series has a similar multi positional center column.... or so their site seems to indicate.
http://www.gitzo.us ….71837.72040.0.​0/explorer (external link)

I only have a G12 so I'm useless when it comes to head recommendations.

Kim

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

10megapixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 10, 2011 20:20 |  #9

Fricks wrote in post #13081811 (external link)
Well what are you planning to use it for? If you are doing alot of traviling you will want a carbon fiber gitzo 2 series or a feisol.if you plan to keep it in 1 spot then really anything will work. also what is your price range?

1 thing I have learned is not to buy cheap on tripods... Or don't buy off brand names stick to the main brands(gitzo, feisol, manfroto, gittios, ect)

Also keep in mind that a ball head is also a must! Possibly even more important then the tripod;)

Landscape photography, and in my homemade "Studio" for portrait work. Light use really, nothing treacherous and I'm trying to keep it under $300 bucks.

Gear List & Feedback

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 10, 2011 20:29 |  #10

10megapixel wrote in post #13082114 (external link)
Landscape photography, and in my homemade "Studio" for portrait work. Light use really, nothing treacherous and I'm trying to keep it under $300 bucks.

ok then i would go for something like a manfroto 055xprob http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Aluminum_Tripod​_Legs.html (external link) and something like this ball head http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …98RC4_Midi_Ball​_Head.html (external link)
that will be around 375

10megapixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 10, 2011 20:40 |  #11

Fricks wrote in post #13082144 (external link)
ok then i would go for something like a manfroto 055xprob http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Aluminum_Tripod​_Legs.html (external link) and something like this ball head http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …98RC4_Midi_Ball​_Head.html (external link)
that will be around 375

They sell that in a kit for $253.43 with a $35 mail in rebate :D

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …XB_Tripod_Legs_​Black.html (external link)

Gear List & Feedback

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 10, 2011 20:54 |  #12

10megapixel wrote in post #13082192 (external link)
They sell that in a kit for $253.43 with a $35 mail in rebate :D

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …XB_Tripod_Legs_​Black.html (external link)

oh perfect! that will be a nice kit;)

10megapixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 15, 2011 10:50 as a reply to  @ Fricks's post |  #13

Received the Manfrotto kit today, It's very well made :D

Thanks everyone.

Gear List & Feedback

SouthFlorida_Tron
596 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 15, 2011 11:10 |  #14

or be baller and go with Markins Ballheads!

I had the 498 an 055xprob combo in mind, then was steared and sold on the markins.

i feared the manfrotto head would droop or not lock correctly especially hving te QR be loose. not an issue with the Markins! being on a budget, i fit it in somehow...

< Nikon D7100 -- AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED -- AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G >
My Flickr (external link)
My "Nano-Reef" Aquarium Thread (external link)

auto-clicker
781 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 15, 2011 11:52 |  #15

10megapixel wrote in post #13107583 (external link)
Received the Manfrotto kit today, It's very well made :D

Thanks everyone.

Congrats; that's a good starting kit, get and extra plate and a lens holder for the 70-200. It's better to support the lens on the tripod vs the camera when the 70-200 is attached as there is just too much stress at the mount of the camera fyi.

sponsored links

2,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod Kit options for a dummy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.