Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 10 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 12:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Chicago.

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 10, 2011 12:14 |  #1

A shot I took in the middle of Chicago a few months ago.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Shot with the 10-22mm on my T1i, handheld.

sponsored links
stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 10, 2011 13:48 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

shot looks ok.

1 - if you are going to do a symmetrical shot, make sure leading lines are in the middle such as the yellow stripes and the sidewalk. this allows the lines to lead in more comfortably. the leading lines look very awkward with the shift.

2 - time of day. although theres nothing wrong with the sky and the colors, there's also nothing special or mood enhancing. try shooting at dusk, dawn, or night.

3 - Your picture's longitudinal line is uneven, thats the worst simple mistake to make. Use a program with a grid to help level out the picture. And while you are post processing, make sure to use lens distortion correction to get straight lines on your buildings.

goodluck and keep shooting. would also appreciate it if you could critique my chicago picture

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

Kwirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2011 06:27 |  #3

I actually had nothing to shoot at that time so I took a random shot. This was literally a random handheld shot. You might ask why I would even do that, but well, that's what I like to do sometimes.

I already took into consideration the lines being off center, however, they do lead into the center of the picture. And although it may not be PERFECTLY centered, I like it how it is.

Yes, the time of day says a lot about the time and moment when I shot the picture. It was 90 degrees out and hot. Just because you'd rather see a picture at night doesn't mean you need to point that out. Blue sky and sun can say just as much as a picture at taken at night.

Call me blind, but I don't see any noticeable distortion on the buildings. When you're shooting at 10mm, it's bound to happen, and I don't really mind.

Your signature is a bit ironic. Apparently there are rules.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 11, 2011 11:23 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

that was solid advice, and im surprised of your reaction.

Guessing you're one of the softies that can't take real advice right? You are talking to working professionals on here with advice to advance your skills. You want mickey mouse comments?

GREAT PICTURE! KEEP POSTING!

Obviously no one here on this whole site likes the picture enough to say anything. I'm just giving you advice. take it or leave it, but don't make yourself look soft and vulnerable by subjecting to offense from such constructive statements.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

divmedic4
235 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 11, 2011 15:04 |  #5

I am far from an expert so take this for what is worth. IMO, why the leading lines seem off is because while they are toward the center, the tallest, brightest building is off center. To me, if the street seemed more angled toward that building the overall shot wouldn't seem as fragmented.

Also, I think the time of day makes the shot tough because of the wear on the street markings on what looks like a concrete street. All of this together makes it look maybe a bit washed out even though it is probably exactly how it looks in real life.

Either way, have fun and keep shooting. There is so much interesting stuff in Chicago I am sure that won't be hard to do.

Tom

Tom
Canon 7DII, Canon 24-105, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, 50 1.8

Kwirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2011 17:33 |  #6

stayhumble wrote in post #13084777 (external link)
that was solid advice, and im surprised of your reaction.

Guessing you're one of the softies that can't take real advice right? You are talking to working professionals on here with advice to advance your skills. You want mickey mouse comments?

GREAT PICTURE! KEEP POSTING!

Obviously no one here on this whole site likes the picture enough to say anything. I'm just giving you advice. take it or leave it, but don't make yourself look soft and vulnerable by subjecting to offense from such constructive statements.

YEH MAN OMG TY SIR

This is the photo sharing section. I am sharing a picture that I took. Make sense? If I wanted advice on my picture, or how to make it better, I would have posted it in the critique section.

I am already fully aware of everything you mentioned for 'advice' (except for the time of the day argument, which I don't agree with at all), and I could have easily fixed it in the post processing, but I didn't want to.

Secondly, nowhere in my post was I taking offense to anything you said. I was taking what you said and telling you why I kept it the way it is. Your idea of a photograph isn't always the next guy's idea of a photograph.

Lastly, if you don't like my picture, that's fine. I don't care. I can't please everyone, but then you have to go and insult me by saying "obviously nobody likes it." Ouch. Grow up, eh?

sponsored links

1,190 views & 0 likes for this thread
Chicago.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.