Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 18 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebel Challenge #66 - Summer Vacation/Holiday

philk54
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 15:42 |  #1

Rebel Challenge #66 is Summer Vacation/Summer Holiday.

Show us a photo that best depicts your idea of summer vacation/holiday.

This challenge is now open for submissions and will end Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm EDT (unless a mod changes it).

You can check the time here: http://www.worldtimese​rver.com/current_time_​in_UTC.aspx (external link)

Voting will commence Monday, August 29, and will run until Thursday, September 1 at 5:00 pm EDT (unless a mod changes it).

Submissions will be open to anyone using a Digital Rebel Camera (Rebel/300D XT/350D, XTi/400D, XS/1000D, XSi/450D, T1i/500D, T2i/550D and T3i/600D)

Rules:
*Must be shot with Canon Digital Rebel.
*Photos must have been taken between August 17, 2011 and August 28, 2011
*Submissions must be posted in this thread by 11:59pm EDT, August 28, 2011 (unless a mod changes it).
*Must provide Exif data including, at a minimum, date/camera/lens/apert​ure/shutter speed/ISO.
*Only one picture per person.
*Voting will begin on August 29, 2011 and go until 5:00 pm EDT on September 1, 2011 and is open to anyone on the forum.
*The Winner will choose and post the topic for the next week.
*Please do not discuss/comment on photos until after the submission deadline.

For any discussions please use the main thread here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php​?t=671127

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

sponsored links
edmyloo
861 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 27, 2011 01:21 |  #2

Nothing screams summer vacation like a Hawaiian sunset! :D

Taken on August 21, 2011 at 10.07pm PDT
Camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/10.0
Focal Length 229 mm
ISO Speed 100

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Edmund Loo
flickr (external link)

philk54
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 03, 2011 10:17 |  #3

Lovely photo, edmyloo. Sadly though, it looks like this thread is done. There just doesn't seem to be the interest anymore.

How fitting that the last entry would be a sunset.

Phil K.

edmyloo
861 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 03, 2011 18:35 |  #4

philk54 wrote in post #13045242 (external link)
Lovely photo, edmyloo. Sadly though, it looks like this thread is done. There just doesn't seem to be the interest anymore.

How fitting that the last entry would be a sunset.

That's unfortunate, but like you said, if there's no participation, there's no challenge. It was great while it lasted though!

Edmund Loo
flickr (external link)

Danafairy
71 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 05, 2011 00:04 |  #5

I was going to enter this one... but didn't have time to get out. I had a picture I wanted to post but it didn't fit in the time frame that you could take it. I like this thread. Maybe if the photos weren't restricted to being taken during that week it would do better. idk. just an idea. would like to see it continue.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/danafairy/ (external link)

philk54
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 07, 2011 21:58 |  #6

I suppose if the group wants to change the rules to allow photos from any time, it's their perogative. My understanding is that it was originally limited to only photos taken during the specified time frame as a means of encouraging one to work on improving.

Phil K.

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 09, 2011 12:42 |  #7

increase it to also alowe other cameras as well, and I think the number of participants will grow...

There is lots of people that actually buy a xxD or 7D as their first camera, and would definently fit in this challenge. Mybe, change the name so that it is clear that it is a challenge for new photographers, and not the place for those that has pothography as work.... the idea of the challenge is to encourage people to go out and shoot, not to pick the best pictures from their hardrive.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

rockeman
78 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2011 20:09 |  #8

kent andersen wrote in post #13076147 (external link)
increase it to also alowe other cameras as well, and I think the number of participants will grow...

There is lots of people that actually buy a xxD or 7D as their first camera, and would definently fit in this challenge. Mybe, change the name so that it is clear that it is a challenge for new photographers, and not the place for those that has pothography as work.... the idea of the challenge is to encourage people to go out and shoot, not to pick the best pictures from their hardrive.

I completely agree. :)

Owning a Rebel, I am not against it being opened up. I do like the idea of this group continuing and being a learning tool for those of us who are beginner/amateur photographers. I have taken photos (snapshots) for years; however, I am trying to learn how to take them on manual settings. I will always be outdone by those with years of "manual experience" but I know I can learn from them. So, I don't mind the idea of it not being a competition, but rather a tool to help me learn.

philk54
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 09, 2011 22:08 |  #9

Edmyloo and I have been pm'ing and he came up with the same idea. Any camera, but photo must have been taken during the specified time. There does not seem to be another competition like that yet. If everyone is game, I'll set it up. Any other limitations? Maximum number of posts? No professionals? Let me know what you're thinking.

Phil K.

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2011 17:23 |  #10

I think that you should make it clear that it is not for the pro, but amateurs only. I think it should only be a crop competition, that will leave the FF pro out, and leave space for amateurs and beginners to have a chance to shape and learn.

I wouldn't consider myselves quite in the target group anymore, since I start to regulary earn money on photography now.

There is a competition for all members runned like it already: this one.

That competiton do leave out most of the beginners, so to make a crop competition would probably be the easiest way of targeting beginners.

Another help to make the competion more popular would be to make the focus on technical subjects instead of to narrow themes. Summer holidays, is f.ex only suitable for half of the world at the time. Winther is the same. But bokhe, high key, black and white, portrait, landscape, macro, etc... is general and open up for more participants.

I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)

rockeman
78 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 10, 2011 18:13 |  #11

I like what kent andersen said. I would prefer it NOT be for those who get paid to photograph. I would like there to be comments so folks can help me improve. I also like that the photos should be taken within a given amount of time (ex. during the week of the "contest"). I do think "we" would have to have a new contest name since it would not be only Rebel cameras - perhaps something showing it is only for beginner/amatuers.

Thank you for taking the time to be in charge and being willing to be flexible and make changes.

Annette

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 11, 2011 09:22 |  #12

This would be my suggestion.

Make it crop only, alow for people to comment even before the end of the competition (it do make more fun to comment each other), alow also to post more pictures,

Make technical part of photography a vital part of every challenge. An blured/blown out/noisy picture should be given comments about how to improve it. If it is a challenge with the goal to help beginners to learn, it is vital to build up a culture about talking about what need to change to get the picture right.

Danafairy
71 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 24, 2011 23:17 |  #13

Is this going to happen? or did it already and I missed it? :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/danafairy/ (external link)

philk54
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 25, 2011 19:26 |  #14

Sorry everyone. I've been really preoccupied with work issues (guess that proves I'm not a professional photog and I qualify for this challenge - LOL). I'll get this updated and issue a new challenge by next week. Of course, if someone else has more time and wants to take the lead, I'm OK with that.

Phil K.

sponsored links

2,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebel Challenge #66 - Summer Vacation/Holiday
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.