Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Sep 2011 (Monday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking to conduct a small interview with photographers.

maelii
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 12, 2011 09:55 |  #1

Hi, I'm interested in becoming a photographer and I'd like to have a few questions concerning the business of photography answered. I would really appreciate it if a few working photographers would take the time to respond! Thanks very much.

What is your website?

How did you first get into photography and what subjects were you typically shooting at that time?

-or-

Was there a definitive moment in you life where you realized that photography was the career path for you?

Who are some of your favorite photographers?

What equipment would you consider a necessity for someone starting out with a photography career?

How would you advise someone who is starting out in a photography career? Do you have any tips or tricks that you would like to share?

How important would you consider traditional education (as in, a degree in arts or photography) when it comes to being a professional photographer?

How do you balance your own artistic interests with the need to make photography profitable? Do you find that you must shoot outside your preferred genre in order to successfully manage a business?

What do you find most difficult about what you do? Most rewarding?

Would you be willing to share a few of your favorite images?

sponsored links
5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 12, 2011 10:41 |  #2

You are missing the most important aspect of any business endeavor - your business plan. Seriously, unless you can figure out your expenses and potential income beforehand, don't even bother with any of the above questions.

maelii
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 12, 2011 10:48 |  #3

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13089861 (external link)
You are missing the most important aspect of any business endeavor - your business plan. Seriously, unless you can figure out your expenses and potential income beforehand, don't even bother with any of the above questions.

I agree, but I also am just interested in having these questions answered for now. I think aspects other than expenses are important to consider as well.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 12, 2011 13:25 |  #4

I take it this is a class assignment for your photo class?

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 12, 2011 13:26 |  #5

Hi, I'm interested in becoming a photographer

You have to narrow this down, there's specialties you need to consider - the "I'll shoot anything" and then have a long list of crap they'll do type photographers you see on CraigsList are destined to fail because they don't know what they're doing in one of those specialities let alone the 10 they listed.

What is your website?

It's ripped apart and getting re-done once the off-season hits, but all my sites are listed in my signature at the end of this post.

How did you first get into photography and what subjects were you typically shooting at that time?

Got a graduation gift, film camera and lens - snowballed once started. Shot mostly, and still mostly shoot, sports with baseball leading the way. Shot a lot more concerts back then as well but that has died down drastically when I got out of music.

Was there a definitive moment in you life where you realized that photography was the career path for you?

When I realized coaching and teaching was holding me back, that could make more in a weekend than all season of coaching. Though love coaching it was getting in the way. NOBODY starts out and just starts making good money, you have to work your way there until you realize that's what you're doing.

Walter Ioss, Dustin Snipes, Brad Mangin, Peter Read Miller, etc.

What equipment would you consider a necessity for someone starting out with a photography career?

Depends what you want to shoot, a wedding photographer, studio photographer and sports photographer all differ in what they need.

How would you advise someone who is starting out in a photography career? Do you have any tips or tricks that you would like to share?

Don't be one of these idiots who buys a camera at Best Buy, realizes there's a Kinkos next door so that must be a sign to get business cards and start a business, not how it works! Photography is a field most people fail at, a VERY high percentage for several reasons. You better have a business plan, you better have goals, you better know what you wanna do and not be one of the before mentioned idiots on CL offering to shoot anything for a dollar just to say you're a photographer.

How important would you consider traditional education (as in, a degree in arts or photography) when it comes to being a professional photographer?

It can help, I have three degrees with no art or photography classes in them - problem is wish had something more and had done some classes like that, but wasn't allowed. You never stop learning though, even the vets are taking seminars and workshops still.

How do you balance your own artistic interests with the need to make photography profitable? Do you find that you must shoot outside your preferred genre in order to successfully manage a business?

I honestly only shoot what I want to shoot, however, you have to do what the client wants the best you can as well. Sometimes the "art" behind it is boring or very standard, you wish you had more time to work or more freedom - fact is you don't always.

What do you find most difficult about what you do?

You ever tried to run a business in a field that is flooded with people who think they're in the same business because they bought the gear last week? There's a lot of people out there calling themselves professional delivering sh**ty results that make clients not want to hire a professional anymore - after all they hired someone who SAID they were a pro and got crap, so why would they? Then you have tons of people willing to give everything away free just to say they're big time pro when they're not even close to it.

This doesn't even get into the fact that most the time you hear no, that you have to keep very good books, be an accountant as well as photographer, that when it's a hobby you shoot 85% of the time and it's so fun, but as a business you are shooting 15% of the time and the fun part is there but not like it is as a hobby.

Most rewarding?

Freedom, setting your own schedule, shooting what you want to shoot, taking chances and setting your own projects, landing a good gig, things like that, owning your own business.

Nope, I just honestly don't have the time to pull any and have a game to get to...haven't updated my portfolio in so long it's insane, so until then can't share any favs.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

jmweb
525 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2011 13:38 |  #6

What is your website?

My website is at http://www.facebook.co​m/lmapicture (external link) which is updated more often then my official website, www.lensmakeapicture.c​om (external link)

A client paid me to come into their bar and take photos as a gig. I did his website, it snowballed from there.

I've always loved going out taking photos. I realized the moment that I got my first few gigs and comments from strangers that I'm pretty good at what I do.

Karl Taylor.

The mentality to learn. The gear isn't important, the knowledge is. But to answer your question, some sort of SLR with interchangeable lens. I obviously have a bias towards Canon.

Don't be a dick. Put your head down and go to work, hard work will get your further ahead then anything. Also, be determined if you're gonna do it. First day I launched my Fanpage, I had a really rude email from another photographer who is hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. Truth me told, I got some friends as his ISP who gave me his info.

I have taken university courses on business, economics & psychology. The business part helped a bit, but nothing major.

Everything I do must involve a fun component. Same with photography. If i don't like a shoot, I won't do it.

What do you find most difficult about what you do?

Listening, watching, hearing others re-act with a "pro" attitude issue.

Most rewarding?
Spending the day with the Stanley Cup being a foot or two away from me most of the day.

Just did this for someone else too! :)

http://www.facebook.co​m …478.86937.16831​2599848674 (external link)

John Morris Photo - PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick photographer (external link)
The most powerful work: editorial. JohnMorrisPhoto.ca (external link)
Gear: Canon 1dx, Canon 7dx Mark II, Canon 5d S, Canon 5d SR..

sponsored links

965 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking to conduct a small interview with photographers.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.