Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rate this product picture

Thurman
245 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 11:50 |  #1

So I was bored last night and wanted to take a picture of something so here it is.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Canon EOS Rebel T4i|18-55mm|50mm|55-250mm

sponsored links
ckramos
179 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 14, 2011 12:27 |  #2

Lacks context. Sure it's dremel. Why is it dusty. What did it just do. What did it just dremel. It must have done something half the bit is gone. The dremel case sign is upside down, instinctively had to rotate my head, since it's half the picture. I'd do more shots of the bit. It just did something. what did it do?

5d2 | 580ex ii | 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 | 50mm f1.4 | 17-40mm f4

Thurman
THREAD ­ STARTER
245 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 12:35 |  #3

Why is it dusty and dirty? its a dremel.. Its not suppose to be clean and sparkly. I purposely put the case upside down so I could show the dremel 4000 on the drill right side up.

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 14, 2011 12:38 |  #4

You completely missed the point.

Why is it dirty as in - show what made it dirty to add some modicum of interest to the photo...

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

Thurman
THREAD ­ STARTER
245 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 12:50 |  #5

va_rider wrote in post #13102700 (external link)
You completely missed the point.

Why is it dirty as in - show what made it dirty to add some modicum of interest to the photo...

Its a close up I don't think I could add what its done to the picture.It was ment to be a picture of the case and the tool its self.

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 14, 2011 14:08 |  #6

You're posting in the critique area.

They're offering critique.

Why are you arguing?

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

Thurman
THREAD ­ STARTER
245 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 14:20 |  #7

Q-Man wrote in post #13103132 (external link)
You're posting in the critique area.

They're offering critique.

Why are you arguing?

I'm not arguing im telling them how I shot the photo, how am I suppose to fit in other things in a close up? I posted the photo here because I wanted to see if the picture was sound as far as aperture ect..

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 14, 2011 14:25 |  #8

It seems pretty self explanatory... to get other stuff in the shot, you'd back up.. or shoot at a FL shorter than 100mm ...

Since it's labeled as a "product" picture, product photography usually shows either a well lit picture of the clean product in its entirety, or a well lit photo of the product in use.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

johndoorley
364 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 17, 2011 08:12 |  #9

As a product shot - in my mind that means as an advertizing photo, I would not take this one - the tool looks dirty ( like it was just left out ) and there is no "story" in the shot as mentioned above.

suggestion: take a piece of clean pine, use the Dremel with a cutter blade, cut the word Dremel into the wood, lay the "dirty" tool on the board - you now have a couple of pieces that when combined show the usefullness of the tool, explains the dust/wood dust.

or

wipe it all down so it looks shiny new, open the case to let the viewer know it is a case for the tool, perhaps light it by hanging a sheet over the piece with a work light above the sheet to give a genrerally soft light, then highlight the tool.tool label with a maglight flashlight to focus a light splasho on the tool.

Just a couple of thoughts based upon your posting title request.

ejay79
135 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2011 10:30 |  #10

Thurman wrote in post #13103195 (external link)
I'm not arguing im telling them how I shot the photo, how am I suppose to fit in other things in a close up?

The upper third could be occupied with wood and/or whatever could have been dremeled. It wouldn't be the main focus of the shot, by any means, but would make it feel like the dremel is in it's element. Right now, with just the wall (?) there, it makes it feel more like a typical snapshot.

That said, I like the technical aspects of the photo. The device is crisp, with just enough DOF to not make the case the focus of the shot. Nice.

ejiphotos.com (external link), The Johnson Blog (external link)
+Eric Johnson (external link), @eajhnsn1 (external link)

sponsored links

1,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rate this product picture
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.