Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manual flash in Av or P

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 22:25 |  #1

I was testing my 580EX that I just got back from Canon today and it seemed weird. I sent it in because it would only fire at full power in Manual flash mode (Av on camera). Don't ask "how do you know... etc." It did, I know. They fixed it and replaced some other things on it and now it works. I did have a question though about how manual flash works on the camera because it was acting weird (my other 580EX was doing the same thing, so I'm guessing it's correct, I just don't understand WHY it was doing it...).

30D, 50mm 1.8, 580EX on camera
Metered the dining room without flash in Av mode... 1/25, f/1.8, ISO 100
Turn the flash on, set to Manual flash, 1/128th power... and it changed the shutter speed to 1/250th (x-sync). It didn't matter what the ISO was or what the f-stop was... always 1/250th.

Then I tried setting it to Program and still Manual flash, 1/128th power. Now pointing it at the same thing in the dining room it was saying 1/250th, f/22 blinking. Definitely not right.

Like I said before, both of my 580EXs were doing this so it must be normal, or something wrong with the camera (I'll try my other 30D tomorrow). What do you think?

Fort Wayne, IN Portrait & Wedding Photographer
http://www.craigagapie​photography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/CraigAgapiePhotograp​hy (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,914 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 14, 2011 22:43 |  #2

How does it function with the camera in full manual mode?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 14, 2011 22:45 |  #3

Edit: Oh sorry. I'm an idiot. It's late for me :P

Gear
flickr (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 14, 2011 22:47 |  #4

gtrag94 wrote in post #13105391 (external link)
It didn't matter what the ISO was or what the f-stop was... always 1/250th.

There's a menu option that tells the camera to lock shutter at 1/250 when it detects that a flash is attached, but I think it only applies to Av.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

gtrag94
THREAD ­ STARTER
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 22:50 |  #5

Yeah, I know about that custom function, it's set to Auto.. and you're right, only Av, not P.

Don't know about M on the camera, didn't try it. I'll let you know tomorrow. Any other ideas?

windpig
Chopped liver
14,914 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 14, 2011 22:53 |  #6

I always use manual mode, and for sure start with the lowest denominator when trying to figure out an issue (try manual and add things from there).

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

gtrag94
THREAD ­ STARTER
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 22:55 |  #7

I should have tried that, but I wasn't sure what it "should" show up as... still ambient readings right?

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 14, 2011 23:56 |  #8

It's called Flash Sync Speed in Av Mode.
C.Fn. 03-1 on the 30D.
But I don't think that's your problem.

It's a "feature" of the way Canon designed things. With a dedicated flash in manual mode and the camera in one of the auto modes, it does really stupid things. Just switch to M and be done with it.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,892 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 15, 2011 12:13 |  #9

As for behavior of camera in P, flash on M, I just experimented with my 40D...

• Ambient light and no flash turned on, camera in P, ISO 100: 1/20 f/2.8
  • Flash on ETTL, camera in P, ISO 100: 1/60 f/4.5
  • Flash on M full power, camera in P, ISO 100: 1/60 f/4.5
  • Flash on M 1/128 power, camera in P, ISO 100: 1/60 f/4.5

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 15, 2011 14:51 |  #10

It's been a while since I tested this, but from what I recall, P mode is not so problematic. Av and Tv modes are.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,892 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 15, 2011 19:42 |  #11

Curtis N wrote in post #13108895 (external link)
It's been a while since I tested this, but from what I recall, P mode is not so problematic. Av and Tv modes are.

OP commented on the P mode..."Then I tried setting it to Program and still Manual flash, 1/128th power. Now pointing it at the same thing in the dining room it was saying 1/250th, f/22 blinking. Definitely not right."

I countered with what seems to make P mode seem reasonable in its actions with flash: the same in ETTL and M/1 and M/128

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,246 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 16, 2011 12:40 |  #12

gtrag94 wrote in post #13105391 (external link)
Then I tried setting it to Program and still Manual flash, 1/128th power. Now pointing it at the same thing in the dining room it was saying 1/250th, f/22 blinking. Definitely not right.

What do you think?

I think your camera is busted. If your camera is in P and ISO 100, 1/250, f/22, means it thinks it is metering a VERY bright scene. Even if a flash is attached, or if it is in manual flash mode, it should not meter like that indoors.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

1,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manual flash in Av or P
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.