Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 01:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of getting the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm 2.8

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 16, 2011 05:32 |  #16

paulkaye wrote in post #13109544 (external link)
- It doesn't take filters. I do a lot of landscape work and this was the real limiting factor for me.

this is pretty much the only complaint I have about the lens

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 16, 2011 09:05 |  #17

What's worse, there is backlash in the focusing action such that the actual focus distance for any reading on the scale is different according to which direction from which you rotate the focus ring.

The backlash is new for me, never read about it - but could imaging that this is just another problem of the mechanics tolerances.
The not adjusted focus ring is DIY adjustable. But it gives first bad taste about the quality control there.

Fitting the focus conf chip is fiddly so I'd recommend getting the Nikon version (which has focus conf included) with an adapter.

With an F-Mount to EF-mount adapter with focus confirmation chip. F-mount confirmation will not work on Canon.
Don´t have that, and don´t need it. I have the EE-S screnn in my EOS 5D, and have no problem with focussing. But I work 99% with manual lenses.

- The distortion is quite pronounced, but it's easily fixable in PP. I use Bibble and this does a good job. PTLens is good too I'm told.

Yes, the PTLens seems a bit better than the DIY made Lightroom profiles.
But with the Samyang one should not think about using film with an old analoge camera - this lens is really digital optimized, that moustach distrotion is bad.

- The build quality is good. Puts many of the non-L Canon lenses to shame.

There I have a opposite view. It is one of my worst lenses regarding the mechanics. I would see it on the same level as the EF 50/1.8II. For its weigth of the front lens the mechanics and build quality is not good enough fo a bit harder use. But probably that depends much on sample variation. My sample was build very bad.

- It doesn't take filters. I do a lot of landscape work and this was the real limiting factor for me.

I am not sure about the competition, but I read that other 14mm lenses for 24x36 have the same restriction?
There is a filter holder under way, but it need very big filters, suppose >150mm, was shown on a booth somewhere.
For the use of ND filters foils I cut these, and take them into the camera mount. Works with polarizers too, but it is not good to work with - and for my opinon they are not good for such an image angle.

Regarding filters, DIY focus correction, Adobe Lightroom profiles, quality issues, full resolution images you could visit my homepage!

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

rusty.jg
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 16, 2011 13:38 as a reply to  @ ZoneV's post |  #18

It is a very good lens - no doubt about it. Build quality is above average, possibly not quite up to an L but they do feel heavy which gives it a little more quality feel.

I have used it with a 5D2 and I have read that lots of people say the DoF is very deep - yes it is but I still have issues getting everything sharp front to back at f/11. Generally I pick the subject that I want in focus and focus on that with live view at f/2.8 then stop it down to f/11, refresh live view so the exposure comes back and then just tweak a bit towards infinity so the subject starts to de-focus then bring it back in to an acceptable amount. Then I shoot away and that seems to get everything in. Either some stuff fairly close or at infinity will be slightly softer but I'm hoping that correcting that will come with experience.

Its very sharp across the frame but if you want the corners to be sharp then they must lie in the focus plane - even at f/11 this is still a small challenge to get everything sharp.

For the price I cant believe it. I would say its around the same bang-for-buck as the nifty fifty taking into account its a UWA for Full Frame. The IQ is excellent - on a par with Canon L's without a doubt for CA and sharpness. Distortion is evident but correctable with a Lightroom Profile or PTLens. Its not really noticeable unless you have some straight lines in the image.

EDIT: oh yeah the hood you see in the images is fixed and cannot be removed. That makes it quite a large lens with the lenscap on in your bag. Doesnt really fit any of my existing bag pockets too well. But small price to pay.

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 16, 2011 13:51 |  #19

I got to use my lens more the other day and it is a bit hard to use. With the 17-40 you can easily set for hyperfocal points or simply just AF. With this lens, the focus scale is totally worthless. You basically have to do live-view and take your time. The results are excellent though with amazing sharpness for a lens this wide. For <$300 it can't be beat... But it is not a daily-use type of lens. More of a setup and take your time type deal.

I really love the IQ, but the focusing and such does bother me a bit. You would think they could calibrate these better when being made, especially being MF only lenses. If they were AF it wouldn't be as bad as long as the AF was accurate. But it kind of sucks when your MF is not accurate!

If you can deal with live-view focusing, the lens is excellent. If not, stay away.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 16, 2011 18:37 |  #20

maybe I got lucky? my focus scale seems to be fairly close to what should be expected...I can set it to hyperfocal and forget all about it

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

zyndurai
819 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 16, 2011 20:21 |  #21

I'm in for one and glad it got it for $289. Can't really go wrong with that price, especially with the samples I've seen. Would be great for indoors and awesome for video.

My flickr (external link)

RAH1861
330 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 17, 2011 08:58 as a reply to  @ post 13111505 |  #22

The big turn-off for me with the 85mm lens was its relatively poor minimum focusing distance. I suppose that it is not as big a concern with a wide-angle lens, but it is something to look at. I see it is .9 ft on the 14mm, which sounds pretty good I guess, although it is hard to judge with these wide lenses.

Rich
Canon 80D; 60D; SL1; Canon 60mm; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 1.4 II teleconverter; Canon 10-18 STM; Canon 55-250 STM; Tokina 12-24; Sigma 17-50; Sigma 17-70; Sigma 18-250; Bower 35mm; Tamron 70-300; Pro-Optic 8mm fisheye

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 17, 2011 09:34 |  #23

It's MFD is really close. Check out my review of the lens for the pictures.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

RAH1861
330 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 17, 2011 10:01 |  #24

plasticmotif wrote in post #13118032 (external link)
It's MFD is really close. Check out my review of the lens for the pictures.

I guess I'm not savvy enough about this forum - how do I find your review? I'd like to read it. Can you give us a link?

Rich
Canon 80D; 60D; SL1; Canon 60mm; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 1.4 II teleconverter; Canon 10-18 STM; Canon 55-250 STM; Tokina 12-24; Sigma 17-50; Sigma 17-70; Sigma 18-250; Bower 35mm; Tamron 70-300; Pro-Optic 8mm fisheye

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 17, 2011 10:08 |  #25

https://photography-on-the.net …=874680&highlig​ht=samyang

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,785 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 18, 2011 06:20 |  #26

LostInInaka wrote in post #13115552 (external link)
maybe I got lucky? my focus scale seems to be fairly close to what should be expected...I can set it to hyperfocal and forget all about it

Likewise. Finally got a chance to pick up the Bell+Howell variant I bought this weekend. Having only used an 18-50 this is super wide for me. No slack in the focus movement. Solid looking build aside from the plastic hood and lens cap (the version 1 had a metal cap and hood too I think).

There is sooo much throw in the short focus range but once past a metre or 2 setting around hyperfocal is the way to go. At that distance, the subject needs to be pretty big to fill the frame. I've spent most of my early time with this lens up close so far. Will need to get out and about with only this one to get a better idea of how it might fit my style.

For the $300~ US (plus postage to Australia) I paid I'm very happy with it. I can't fault the lens - my experience is holding it back more than its shortcoming may be holding me back.

Gear List

motleypixel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 20, 2011 08:09 |  #27

Since the OP has the 17-40 and pondering this lens...I've done a comparison test here: http://www.motleypixel​.com …ndex.php/topic,​934.0.html (external link)

Minolta Rokkor and Canon can live together in harmony. (external link)http://vimeo.com/14891​384 (external link)

sponsored links

4,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of getting the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm 2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.