Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 15 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & after 383

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 15, 2011 17:30 |  #1

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new editing tricks.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I have posted a picture, re-sized to exactly 1024 pixels maximum on the long side. Otherwise, this photo was taken from the camera as is and unedited by myself.

The game will last 7 Days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #384."

Ends on Thursday, Sep. 22, at 8 pm MST

Here is a link to the full size original if you choose to use it
http://www.flickr.com …5/sizes/o/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

Sorry didn' realize I had downloading disabled. should be fine now. Let me know if there's still an issue

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 15, 2011 23:50 |  #2

Nothing tricky, just went down the list in Lightroom.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

vasbyt
98 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 16, 2011 13:00 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #3

Rotated the image to correct the horizon, then cropped, brightness and contrast adjusted, colour curve tool used, then colours inverted

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1217.photobuck​et.com …/veldskoon/Afte​r-383a.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

60D, Canon 18-135 f3.5/5.6 IS, Tamron SP 70-200 f2.8 Di

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,596 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 16, 2011 16:37 |  #4

Reduced exposure in ACR and increased highlight recovery. Increased blacks +1, clarity and saturation
In CS4, straightened image and cropped, new layer 50% grey and lightened the trees and used eye dropper to sample blue of lake and foreground stones to paint in saturation.
Smart sharpen in luminosity mode, stroke and flatten.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

T3 ­ Heavy ­ Shop
602 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 19, 2011 02:00 as a reply to  @ NigelD's post |  #5

straightened horizon, bumped the contrast and black clipping a bit in LR.

In PS5. duplicated background layer and removed water, used brush eraser around the shore line to remove hard lines. copied original pic to new file then flipped it, copied and pasted it back to original file under the one with water removed, aligned shore-line (mostly. best to have a straight shore line for the best look.)

Duplicate original background layer again, put it on top of the rest. Select layer with water removed, used magic wand with anti-analyzing and click in the area you removed water from. Select top layer, and use brightness/contrast adjustment tool to increase both a bit. Only the "water" will be affected. Reduce that level opacity to around 30% so the waves are visible and the water shines a bit. Flatten, crop and save.

IMAGE: http://www.disposablepengun.com/postings/before-383.jpg

I've always been a photographer, but I haven't always had a camera.
6D MII, 7D MII, EOS-M50, EOS-M, 5D MII(IR 830), EOS-M(IR 720)

Iancentric
THREAD ­ STARTER
714 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2011 18:33 |  #6

sorry guys, I've been out of town without internet for a few days.
I'm going to pick Cawcawcaw as #1 I really like the crop
and vasbyt as # 2 it's always nice to see a different approach to a shot

And many thanks to Nigel and T3 for editing the shot

I won't have internet again for a few days so if Cawcawcaw doesn't post up, then vasbyt then nigel and t3 can duke it out if vasbyt doesn't come through :)

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 24, 2011 20:08 |  #7

Thanks, I liked the image.

08photog wrote in post #13157171 (external link)
...if Cawcawcaw doesn't post up, ...

No chance!

Ok, Round #384 is up. Here's a link.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

vasbyt
98 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 25, 2011 03:48 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #8

Thank you 08 well done cacaw

60D, Canon 18-135 f3.5/5.6 IS, Tamron SP 70-200 f2.8 Di

sponsored links

1,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & after 383
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.