Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Sep 2011 (Friday) 21:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Signs of a bad sensor?

canongear
288 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 16, 2011 21:58 |  #1

In some of my pictures, I've noticed some very thin dark verticle lines. These lines only appear in images featuring a blown out sky and it's in the sky portion that they are noticeable. A shutter speed slower than 1/200 is when they become noticeable.
They aren't noticaeable with a quick glance at the picture but, they are if you spend time looking at it.
I've ruled out lenses as the problem because, I've used two different lenses and the lines appear no matter what lens is used.
Lines also appear shooting jpeg or raw.

I went to my local camera store tonight to see if the guys there had an explanation as to what was the cause of the lines.
After both of them looked at the picture on their monitor, they couldn't come up with a definite answer. They used different parts of Photoshop to examine the picture and spent several minutes doing different things to it.
These guys do the photo developing at this store and have been doing it for a number of years so I'm sure they knew what they were doing and looking for.
One possible explanation given was that the sensor was dying but, he couldn't say that for certainty because the thing that was puzzling him was, the lines were only showing up in the "pure white" area of the picture.

Since getting home from the camera store, I've gone through some pictures and have come across more with the lines appearing under similar sky conditions.
One of the older pictures I came across that had the lines in it, was taken 3 months of buying the camera.
I bought the camera..Canon 40D.. brand new, two years ago this month from a well known camera store.
So, whatever is the cause of these lines, has been doing it basically since I bought the camera.

To me, the lines in the various pictures don't seem to be any different in size or darkness from past to present.
That might be a good sign in a way regarding the sensor because I would think things would've got much worse over a two year period of time.
Maybe, maybe not, I don't know.

I've started a thread about this a couple of days ago in the lens section under the subject ,Lines in pictures. Was on page 5 about an hour ago.
Thought I would post it here in a more general section thinking more people might see it and increase my chances of somebody who had the same issue, able to tell me what the cause was.
This picture shows a zoomed in area of part of the picture.
The lines aren't rain.
There has been some minimal post processing done to this particular picture but, the lines were there prior to doing it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 16, 2011 22:07 |  #2

Try a different card. It could also be your card reader. You need to do a process of elimination to figure out what is going on. I'd be surprised if it were the sensor.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 16, 2011 23:44 |  #3

Maybe phone Canon about this one. That is very strange and there isn't much that would account for the faint vertical lines other than a sensor problem that I could think of. Let us know how it turns out.

Photo Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 17, 2011 11:42 |  #4

is your sensor clean?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

golemite
156 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 17, 2011 11:54 |  #5

Looks like a sensor or processing chip related problem.. you'll probably have to send it in to Canon

website.. (external link) tumblr.. (external link) stuff..

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 17, 2011 21:24 as a reply to  @ golemite's post |  #6

It's been suggested that what is appearing in the pictures is banding.

I'm fairly new to photography so I Googled banding for Canon 40D and one of the sites that came up was Fred Miranda.
Some members that are 40D owners had complained about banding being an issue with their cameras.

I don't know if banding is an indication of a serious sensor problem?
Maybe someone here can tell me if it is or isn't.
If it isn't, then I can live with this banding showing up from time to time in certain light conditions.

I'm waiting on a response from a technician about this issue from where I bought the camera.
As a first step they said I should download the latest firmware but, I already had it on the camera since last year.
As far as the sensor being clean, it was professionally cleaned March of this year.
The guy at the local camera store looked at the sensor last night and did notice a spot on it but he doesn't think it's something that would cause these lines to appear.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 18, 2011 02:25 |  #7

That definitely isn't banding or sensor dust.

You can call Canon on their toll free number and talk to them about it. I really think you will need to send them the camera.

Photo Gear

sponsored links

4,260 views & 0 likes for this thread
Signs of a bad sensor?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.