Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gorgeous Family + Identical Twin Blondies...

IrishK
533 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 16, 2011 03:01 |  #16

A great looking family captured in stunning colour.

sponsored links
collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 16, 2011 08:55 |  #17

Love your work, as always, Lisa... And these are no exception. I would say that they couple looks a little stiff in some of them, and the womans legs/ankles are awkwardly placed but overall, they are great! I'm sure the clients are ecstatic. Thanks for sharing.

I realize that you've staked your claim to 'no fill flash', but I would challenge you to step beyond what you're clearly comfortable with and competent with. Adding fill can open locations that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to do, and can also give your images that extra pop. I'm sure you're familiar with Phamster on here and his off camera fill flash. A lot of environmental portraits and his work is a stellar example of the correct use of OCF. SO many that use OCF (imo) either use way too much or just abuse it with harsh shadows, but when done correctly, you don't know it's there unless you're looking for it, but it adds SO much and really helps fill those eyes with light. Gives POP to the people and makes them even more attractive! And in someone's hands like yours, who so clearly already has a great eye, I'm sure it'll be great. Challenging? Yes. Worthwhile? very much so. ;)

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 16, 2011 08:58 |  #18

p.s. - The old adage of "Ladies cross their ankles" would have helped here. It often also helps in standing situations. And can make people look thinner as well. I wouldn't say it always works, but does quite a bit... ;)

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 16, 2011 09:11 |  #19

Great stuff and I really enjoy your style. The WB is always perfect, color saturation as always perfect, exposures nailed, black levels perfect. You really have a good eye! And using natural light provides complete control over backgrounds.

Always nice to see your work.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Terry_Hill
808 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 16, 2011 10:02 |  #20

the last of the formal shots is superb!

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W Harris

my flickr (external link)
Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group! (external link)

LisaJH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 16, 2011 10:08 |  #21

Thank you for the comments!

RE using fill flash...I'm going to disagree with you on that. I honestly have zero desire to haul a bunch of OCF equipmnt around with me on my sessions. I do agree that it could help me use some locations that I'm otherwise unable to use, but I haven't had any issues finding usable locations either. And I don't think I've ever had any issues getting light into the eyes at all (I do use a reflector when I'm able to). I've seen Phamster's work and it's amazing! He is extremely talented! I just prefer working with natural light...it's kind of my 'thing.' I do, however, totally agree with you that I should have had mom cross her ankles. It's one of those little things that is so easy to overlook while you are shooting but would have made a big difference. I was so focused on trying to get the kids to look and cooperate that I didn't even notice that. Either way, I do really appreciate the comments! Ironically, I actually own OCF equipment but am sad to say I've never once used it. It's sitting in my closet collecting dust. lol Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days and that will change my mind. We'll see! :)

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,705 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 16, 2011 10:31 |  #22

Lisa, a lot (ALL) of your shots have and continue to have me rethinking the whole off camera flash thing. If it fit in my pocket and didnt require sandbags and/or an assistant, it would be a no brainer but I hate having to worry about and carry that stuff around. Even more so when trying to shoot kids.

Shane
flickr (external link)

LisaJH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 16, 2011 10:41 |  #23

JakAHearts wrote in post #13113149 (external link)
Lisa, a lot (ALL) of your shots have and continue to have me rethinking the whole off camera flash thing. If it fit in my pocket and didnt require sandbags and/or an assistant, it would be a no brainer but I hate having to worry about and carry that stuff around. Even more so when trying to shoot kids.

I think that one ADVANTAGE of shooting natural light is the freedom to easily and quickly move around from one spot to another. I shoot a LOT of small children and they don't sit in one place for very long. Trying to chase after them with a ton of lighting gear would be a huge PITA. I don't always have an assistant either, and if/when I do, it's generally one of my older children. I realize that I couldn't get away with this if I shot indoors a lot, or in dark areas, but I'm blessed to live in a state that has amazing natural light year round and 99% of my work is done outdoors (the one exception would be newborn sessions, and even then I have never been able to NOT find a good window to utilize as my light source) I've really never had issues 'finding the light'. I'm also not sure about the 'light in the eyes' comment...my subjects ALWAYS have great light in their eyes. ;)

5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,705 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 16, 2011 10:59 |  #24

Agreed. Most of your shots even have catchlights, a pretty darn good indicator there is light in there. I dont think the above poster was being condescending. Just mentioning an alternative to open more locations. Anyway, what is it about your location that allows such even lighting? It almos tlooks like the subjects are backlit, yet, you have good light on their faces and eyes?

Shane
flickr (external link)

LisaJH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 16, 2011 11:01 |  #25

Oh, I don't think he was being condescending either, and I hope my comment didn't come across as being rude, that wasn't my intent at all! :) Learning to use my OCF equipment actually *is* on my neverending to-do list just because I think it could be a fun and new challenge and give a totally different look to my portraits, but even then, it isn't something I'm planning on using on a regular basis, or bringing along with me to the vast majority of my sessions.

I do use a reflector as often as possible, especially in backlit photos. It's amazing how much it helps! There have been times I've had no one to hold it and have had to make do without one, but I definitely prefer using it. Plus, it's lightweight and easy to carry around. If only it weren't so windy here...lol

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 16, 2011 11:08 |  #26

Very beautiful works Lisa!!! If you are nearby, I would volunteer to be your human reflector stand/holder any day :)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Corry ­ H
96 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 16, 2011 11:24 |  #27

beautiful family and wonderful photos!!

Corry
Northern Alberta, Canada
Gear: Canon 7DII, 50mm1.4, Canon 17-85mm, Canon 100-400 IS, Canon 100mm macro, sigma 18-250 OS, Canon SX50

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 16, 2011 18:18 |  #28

outstanding as always Lisa...

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2011 19:12 |  #29

Photo 6 is a dream, well done! It blows away photo 8. One comment on Photo 1, it seems as if it was taken from a low camera position. This is making the father's feet look big and prominent. Consider using a small step ladder to photograph from above your subject instead of from below them. Above is much more desirable than below.

HARTatUCF
33 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2011 01:50 |  #30

Love all the casual pictures, love all the formal pictures with just the kids. In all of the pictures with the mother my eye is drawn straight to her legs and shoes. The pantyhose and shoe combo is distracting, and it only adds to how awkward the position of her feet are in both pictures.

sponsored links

5,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gorgeous Family + Identical Twin Blondies...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.