Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2011 19:13 |  #3241

tim wrote in post #13115397 (external link)
Maybe they've developed a focus system that works quickly, consistently, and reliably? ;-)a

hahaha :lol: fast maybe but I doubt it would be consistent and reliable ;) :lol:

I doubt they would be releasing any kind of new DSLR though...

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13115440 (external link)
I just put in an order for the D7000 MKIII! (as in my third) Let's hope this time it's better. $800 after gift card usage. :lol:

hahahaha nice :lol: let us know how you like it.

as for me, I just started migrating my 4000++ photos from FLICKR to Zenfolio and wow its like 300++photos/day :rolleyes: at this rate it would take me 2 weeks to finish haha

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

sponsored links
dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 16, 2011 21:04 |  #3242

monk3y wrote in post #13110136 (external link)
if you are shooting Prime don't understand why you don't like the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm combo...

although yeah a 24mm would have been nice but Nikon decided to pit it against the 24L so you get the 24mm f/1.4 G... there is really no middle ground on the UWA side... almost all their newer UWA's are expensive :lol:

Oh, I do like that combo. I have the 35 and 85 and about to get the 50. I don't think I need anything wider than a 35, but I would like a 24 at a decent price than what's currently available. The 24 f2.8 that they currently have is an ok lens, but I don't feel the price/performance ratio is there, especially for such an old lens.

I don't understand Nikon's lens decisions I guess is my point. The 24-70 and the 17-55 f/2.8 doesn't have VR, but yet they throw it on the 16-35 f/4G and the 12-24 f/4G (crazy, I know). That's what bugs me.

But I love Nikon's system as it's an all around good platform, from body (af, high-iso performance, ergonomics), glass (although expensive for the good stuff and needs more primes; white lens with red rings are a joke and draws attention), and lighting (the best and easiest flash system in the business).

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2011 21:09 |  #3243

Razeus wrote in post #13116094 (external link)
Oh, I do like that combo. I have the 35 and 85 and about to get the 50. I don't think I need anything wider than a 35, but I would like a 24 at a decent price than what's currently available. The 24 f2.8 that they currently have is an ok lens, but I don't feel the price/performance ratio is there, especially for such an old lens.

I don't understand Nikon's lens decisions I guess is my point. The 24-70 and the 17-55 f/2.8 doesn't have VR, but yet they throw it on the 16-35 f/4G and the 12-24 f/4G (crazy, I know). That's what bugs me.

But I love Nikon's system as it's an all around good platform, from body (af, high-iso performance, ergonomics), glass (although expensive for the good stuff and needs more primes; white lens with red rings are a joke and draws attention), and lighting (the best and easiest flash system in the business).

as long as its f/2.8 or faster they won't put VR on it if its not on the tele end :lol:

and would put VR on f/4 lenses even if its sooo wide:lol:...yeah I agree with you Nikon is a bit weird hehe I am in the same boat as you.... I want a reasonably priced 35mm f/1.8 or something myself coz I feel like the 35mm f/2 is just too old.

but both 24mm and 35mm are so freaking expensive :lol:

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 16, 2011 21:21 as a reply to  @ monk3y's post |  #3244

I tell you... I love Nikon gear, and I much prefer my dealings with Nikon over those with Canon.

BUT..... there are a few things that bug me and one of them is the problem with the rubber grips and rings on lenses. This problem has been going on for a long time and Nikon is well aware of it. The fact that they tell us about sweat and oils from the hand are all well and good but it would be much better if they came up with a better design and the thing that really galls me is that they know about the problem, they know how widespread it is, they know how many different bodies and lenses have this problem, and yet once your warranty is up you have to pay them (I know, you can do it yourself, but that's not the point) for the repair, knowing full well that it's really just a question of time before you're back at Nikon having the same piece of rubber replaced once again.

Honestly, I'd be just fine with the harder, more durable surface and materials used on Canon's bodies if that would solve or at least hold off the problem for a few more years.

I had a D300 and I had to replace the right side rubber. I now own a D700 and this will be the second time I've had to replace the rubber but I'm going to have to pay for it this time. I have a 24-70mm that has a bubble in the rubber on the zoom ring.

This isn't enough for me to get all upset or think about going back to Canon but it's super annoying just shouldn't be happening to quality gear.

Rant over.. :)

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2011 21:40 |  #3245

hehehe yeah I am with you here... I am about to order my rubbers as well...they have expanded already and the back rubber near the thumb when you are holding the camera is the one that is peeling off already.

I am not sure how Canon does it with their screws and all though... because that's Nikon's excuse, they don't want the rubbers to stick too much coz it might be difficult to remove when send it in for repair.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 17, 2011 06:38 as a reply to  @ monk3y's post |  #3246

The type of rubber used on the D7000 is slightly different than the one on the D300/D700. It feels less likely to stretch as easy but feels more plasticy. We'll see if this is a new trend.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2011 07:30 |  #3247

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13117600 (external link)
The type of rubber used on the D7000 is slightly different than the one on the D300/D700. It feels less likely to stretch as easy but feels more plasticy. We'll see if this is a new trend.

I see... I hope it doesn't crack :lol: ;):lol:

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 17, 2011 08:24 |  #3248

Kenji - the flash system is most certainly better!

Speaking of - brother needs a flash! Any thoughts? Shouldn't have sold my Metz damnit, how stupid!

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2011 08:39 |  #3249

Mr. Clean wrote in post #13117819 (external link)

Speaking of - brother needs a flash! Any thoughts? Shouldn't have sold my Metz damnit, how stupid!

get a Nissin :D

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 17, 2011 09:35 |  #3250

Mr. Clean wrote in post #13117819 (external link)

These come in stock every once in a while. I bought one before.
http://shop.nikonusa.c​om …US/pd/productID​.213479000 (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 17, 2011 15:33 |  #3251

This is going around twitter as the D800. Looks like a D300 with a FX badge on it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2011 16:42 |  #3252

Can anyone recommend something like the Canon Digital Learning Center (DLC) for Nikon? I am looking for short video tutorials for someone with a Nikon DSLR (real newbie, green-box and scene modes). Best would be model-specific, in this case the D5000.

This D5000 owner asked me for some help, but never having used a Nikon DSLR I wasn't much help. (It was like being in a foreign country and not speaking the language. I couldn't figure out how to do anything.) After a quick read of the D5000 manual, I can now manage Canon/Nikon translation and give her some help. (E.g. Canon drive mode = Nikon release mode.) But I would like to point her to some other resources too.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2011 17:11 |  #3253

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13119167 (external link)
This is going around twitter as the D800. Looks like a D300 with a FX badge on it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

if it looks like a D300 with an FX badge..isn't it technically the D700 too? :lol: haha

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 17, 2011 17:57 as a reply to  @ monk3y's post |  #3254

D700 is a little bigger and I actually like the way it looks better even though the differences are minimal.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2011 18:07 |  #3255

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13119584 (external link)
D700 is a little bigger and I actually like the way it looks better even though the differences are minimal.

the only thing bigger on the D700 is the flash area right? :confused:

but yeah I think the general appearance of the new camera will still be somewhat like the D700/D300 :D

sponsored links

777,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.