Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

POTN forums are closing 31.12.2023. Please see https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1530921 and other posts in that thread for details.
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 18 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Zeiss 21 2.8 (ZE)

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 15, 2011 17:02 |  #2251

ARodriguezPixL wrote in post #13107948 (external link)
Everyone here has fantatsic photos! Would anyone have any unprocessed photos? im not very good at PP so i leave them alone, but it seems like i could use it a lot! i dont own a tripod yet, but mostly bcuz i feel trapped by one :( thanks for your time, and replies :)

I shoot in RAW which is truly a digital negative and in general, a photographer rarely shows their negatives to anyone - but I feel inclined to share for some reason today. :)

Now, keep in mind a RAW file needs more work out of camera than a JPEG would, but it just goes to show how much work can go into a single image. But, once you have a workflow it doesn't take all that long - this image got a digital GND, a boost in contrast in the mid-tones and highlights, some dodging and burning, a kick to saturation, levels adjustment and output sharpening. Took all of 15 minutes.

Here is the RAW file saved straight to JPEG with no changes:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Here is the processed image:

IMAGE: http://www.northerncaptures.com/NorthShorePictures/Lake-Superior-Pictures-1/i-bdpxpsj/0/XL/lake-superior-sunset-storm-XL.jpg

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

bobjob
40 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2011 17:15 |  #2252

Doc Fluty wrote in post #13106892 (external link)
Really cool..... kind of a different look to them.

I really like the first two...

I could totally see this series hanging in a law office somewhere in kind of an water based painting or somethign

thanks, yeah i am glad u like it..i dont think i'm able to get better look using canon lens. now that u mention it, i might print it large on canvas and hang it in my home :P

bobjob
40 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2011 17:29 |  #2253

MNUplander wrote in post #13107169 (external link)
Nice shots - glad you figured it out and looking forward to seeing more!

I've been busy with the new baby lately but I snuck out to catch a sunset/rain storm over the big lake (Superior) a couple nights ago:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

thanks MN,
i've not been taking photos lately, too busy with work.

ARodriguezPixL
290 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 15, 2011 17:43 |  #2254
bannedPermanent ban

MNUplander wrote in post #13109513 (external link)
I shoot in RAW which is truly a digital negative and in general, a photographer rarely shows their negatives to anyone - but I feel inclined to share for some reason today. :)

Now, keep in mind a RAW file needs more work out of camera than a JPEG would, but it just goes to show how much work can go into a single image. But, once you have a workflow it doesn't take all that long - this image got a digital GND, a boost in contrast in the mid-tones and highlights, some dodging and burning, a kick to saturation, levels adjustment and output sharpening. Took all of 15 minutes.

Here is the RAW file saved straight to JPEG with no changes:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Here is the processed image:

QUOTED IMAGE

I truely understand the jpg format as well as using tiff files for better IQ? I do see how dramtic the changes are,especially when one takes time to comprehend its usage, but as for me, im sad to say i am lazy, and mainly afraid to use my PP programs :( I tend to over do it at time, or jsut plain miss the point of view! I have aperture,and cs5, and even then, i just cant grasp their usage enough! i have selected the color blind option I was born with, but still I think it doesnt work for me :( I will continue to try these PP methods, but in the mean time, i hope to achieve decent results non PP? Thanks foe your advice, and for sharing your awesome examples! I will recall to always select both raw and JPG for now on! I used both at one time, but at some point I jsut turned it to jpg only :( sadly i basically killed the idea of a fine DSR by doing so :( NEVERMORE :)

bobjob
40 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2011 18:01 |  #2255

ARodriguezPixL wrote in post #13109696 (external link)
I truely understand the jpg format as well as using tiff files for better IQ? I do see how dramtic the changes are,especially when one takes time to comprehend its usage, but as for me, im sad to say i am lazy, and mainly afraid to use my PP programs :( I tend to over do it at time, or jsut plain miss the point of view! I have aperture,and cs5, and even then, i just cant grasp their usage enough! i have selected the color blind option I was born with, but still I think it doesnt work for me :( I will continue to try these PP methods, but in the mean time, i hope to achieve decent results non PP? Thanks foe your advice, and for sharing your awesome examples! I will recall to always select both raw and JPG for now on! I used both at one time, but at some point I jsut turned it to jpg only :( sadly i basically killed the idea of a fine DSR by doing so :( NEVERMORE :)

well i'm new to photography as well, i started it less than a year ago. I dont even have CS5 and aperture and only use iphoto to do minimal PP lol..sad but true..my advice is if u want to take a nice landscape photo buy a good and steady tripod. I was fooling myself for not buying tripod, thinking that I could take some nice photo handheld with fast lens. and practice make it perfect and take some photos in "golden" hours

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 15, 2011 18:07 |  #2256

bobjob wrote in post #13109773 (external link)
well i'm new to photography as well, i started it less than a year ago. I dont even have CS5 and aperture and only use iphoto to do minimal PP lol..sad but true..my advice is if u want to take a nice landscape photo buy a good and steady tripod. I was fooling myself for not buying tripod, thinking that I could take some nice photo handheld with fast lens. and practice make it perfect and take some photos in "golden" hours

Yah, I cant agree with this more. A good sturdy tripod, shooting during the golden hours, and a little bit of post processing will gain you far more than a new lens or camera possibly could.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

bobjob
40 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2011 18:39 |  #2257

some of my other samples with zeiss

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6151103397_525e36883b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/67615141@N08/6​151103397/  (external link)
the beginning (external link) by junison99 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/6151606570_de386a0689_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/67615141@N08/6​151606570/  (external link)
sunset at sydney opera house and bridge (external link) by junison99 (external link), on Flickr

I am tempted to buy canon 24 tse ii but not sure whether it would be better than zeiss. does anyone here has these 2 lenses and share the experience pls

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 15, 2011 19:51 |  #2258

It's slightly sharper/less CA-y, and has tilt and shift. Not as much microcontrast.

Gear

bobjob
40 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2011 20:20 |  #2259

Sp1207 wrote in post #13110283 (external link)
It's slightly sharper/less CA-y, and has tilt and shift. Not as much microcontrast.

thanks

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 16, 2011 04:10 |  #2260

^I own the 24 TS-E MK II and it's a great lens. If you compare the microcontrast, the Zeiss 21 is much better.

bobjob
40 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 16, 2011 06:11 |  #2261

jdizzle wrote in post #13112046 (external link)
^I own the 24 TS-E MK II and it's a great lens. If you compare the microcontrast, the Zeiss 21 is much better.

thanks julian. i just wondering which one do u use more and in term of overall picture quality which one do u like better?

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 16, 2011 07:02 |  #2262

bobjob wrote in post #13112251 (external link)
thanks julian. i just wondering which one do u use more and in term of overall picture quality which one do u like better?

Well, I like the TS capabilities which makes the 24 TS more versatile for adjusting DOF. The one advantage of the 24 TS II is that there is no moustache distortion. With that said, I don't have crop my image in post if I compose properly. The 21 is awesome for it's capabilities too but, it's just nice to have a choice depending on my mood :)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,620 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 16, 2011 09:20 |  #2263

jdizzle wrote in post #13112346 (external link)
Well, I like the TS capabilities which makes the 24 TS more versatile for adjusting DOF. The one advantage of the 24 TS II is that there is no moustache distortion. With that said, I don't have crop my image in post if I compose properly. The 21 is awesome for it's capabilities too but, it's just nice to have a choice depending on my mood :)

I haven't shot the 21mm ZE yet, but I get the distinct impression from all the image posts here and on other sites that the 21mm produces vivid clear colors superior to the TS-E's. I've been slow to decide to get the 21mm, since I already have the 24mm TS-E, but the better micro-contrast along with clear color fidelity is a powerful one-two punch that makes getting the Zeiss seem to make more and more sense to me. The tilt-shift is wonderful when you need those functions, and the TS-E 24mm II is a fantastic lens, but otherwise I'd rather be shooting with the Zeiss. I'm more and more leaning toward getting one.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony: 35GM, 12-24GM | Sigma Art: 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 16, 2011 10:55 |  #2264

David Arbogast wrote in post #13112786 (external link)
I haven't shot the 21mm ZE yet, but I get the distinct impression from all the image posts here and on other sites that the 21mm produces vivid clear colors superior to the TS-E's. I've been slow to decide to get the 21mm, since I already have the 24mm TS-E, but the better micro-contrast along with clear color fidelity is a powerful one-two punch that makes getting the Zeiss seem to make more and more sense to me. The tilt-shift is wonderful when you need those functions, and the TS-E 24mm II is a fantastic lens, but otherwise I'd rather be shooting with the Zeiss. I'm more and more leaning toward getting one.

The 21 does this very well as you described but, that doesn't make the 24 TS II any less of a lens imo. :)

ddong
405 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 17, 2011 20:26 |  #2265

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6203/6157378092_08d35f8b7b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dongbin/6157378​092/  (external link) Wedge Pond Sunrise (external link) by Bin.D (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,179,778 views & 439 likes for this thread, 334 members have posted to it and it is followed by 39 members.
Zeiss 21 2.8 (ZE)
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.