Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is going from 70-200 F4 to F2.8 a good idea?

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 17, 2011 23:39 |  #1

I shoot sports, I like the 70-200 range, and it works great for the things I use it for. BUT, it is too slow, I am thinking, with my new employment I could sell the F4 and upgrade to the 2.8

Is the 70-200 F2.8 a good upgrade or should I keep the 70-200 F4L and then buy a 24-70?

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

sponsored links
mhazlett
404 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 17, 2011 23:41 |  #2

I made the upgrade and it was a great decision. I really love the new lens, the 2.8 makes it possible to shoot nighttime games now.

WEBSITE (external link)

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
THREAD ­ STARTER
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 17, 2011 23:42 |  #3

mhazlett wrote in post #13120626 (external link)
I made the upgrade and it was a great decision. I really love the new lens, the 2.8 makes it possible to shoot nighttime games now.

Thanks, that was very quick and encouraging!

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank

HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 18, 2011 00:07 |  #4

What sorts of sports do you shoot?

If you're outdoors, it will extend the amount of time you'll be able to get acceptable results in dying light (or, perhaps, night games - which I have never shot so I won't comment on). If you're indoors, it might make the difference between an acceptable shot or not.

Since you already have the f/4 it should be pretty easy to figure out the benefit, if any.

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 18, 2011 00:09 |  #5

Buying better equipment is always advisable if you can afford it.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
THREAD ­ STARTER
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 18, 2011 00:16 |  #6

HeaTransfer wrote in post #13120699 (external link)
What sorts of sports do you shoot?

If you're outdoors, it will extend the amount of time you'll be able to get acceptable results in dying light (or, perhaps, night games - which I have never shot so I won't comment on). If you're indoors, it might make the difference between an acceptable shot or not.

Since you already have the f/4 it should be pretty easy to figure out the benefit, if any.

I shoot volleyball, as well as soccer, I may begin basketball. the extra stop will cut down on my noise level and also allow me to not always need flash (sometimes the officials dont like that)

irishman wrote in post #13120711 (external link)

This is a great point.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 18, 2011 00:47 |  #7

It depends on whether a single stop is sufficient. If you can work with primes, like the 135 F/2, then you can go even faster, not to mention you'll then be using a lens that is about 1/2 the size and weight, which over the course of an event may factor in to your fatigue levels (and therefore even less camera shake).

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 18, 2011 07:38 |  #8

Only if you have no other use for the money, the impact on your images is sufficiently large, and there are no downsides to the purchase (like doubling the weight of the lens)

Couldn't you try this? Shoot with the f/4 but with ISO bumped up by a factor of two and see how often you have to go wide open. This would not tell you whether you would benefit from 2 of the benefits of the 2.8--narrower DOF wide open and faster AF performance with some canon cameras--but it would tell you how much the extra stop is worth to you. Would that be enough to settle it for you? (Full disclosure: I have the lens you have and would not 'upgrade' because for my purposes, the extra weight is real minus, I have yet to need the speed, and the money could be spent on other things that had a lot more impact on my photography. However, I don't shoot sports, so this may have no bearing on whether the trade would be a good choice for you.)

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 18, 2011 07:44 as a reply to  @ paddler4's post |  #9

You mention that you are happy with the f4 for outdoors. The 70-200f/2.8 is a great lens. But for indoors I would keep the f4, and purchase the 135L and 85 1.8 for the indoor work. Not only will you still have a good zoom, but two new primes that work very well.

I have all of the above lenses, except the f4. So I have experience with them and it is why I made this post.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 18, 2011 07:49 |  #10

yea it is. if your considering it just do it lol

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 18, 2011 08:17 as a reply to  @ Brian_R's post |  #11

If you need 2.8 it is...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Pink ­ Avocado
77 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 18, 2011 13:40 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #12

I feel The 70-200 f2.8 may (and shall) be used as a replacement for anything in the 70-200 range.

If you have a new generation body, you can certainly increase the ISO to 'get' the shot.

For the way I shoot, I will not ever buy something with in the 70-200 IS2's range.

For the money, you get a lens that is as sharp as the 135L, and VERY versital.

Mine is permanently installed on my 7D...

Only shoot wide open.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 18, 2011 13:47 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Keep your F4 and pick up a 135L and 85 1.8. Much more flexibility for indoor usage

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 18, 2011 13:58 |  #14

I'd rather have the 2.8 for sure. Just make sure you know the weight difference between the two. The f2.8 is heavy!

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

Swins
76 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 18, 2011 15:30 |  #15

Yes especially the newer one. I upgraded from the MK I to the MK II and that was even a great upgrade.
PS might I also suggest not selling the other? I always like having backups and spares.

sponsored links

2,840 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is going from 70-200 F4 to F2.8 a good idea?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.