Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 14:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

QVC makes me sad

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2011 14:15 |  #1

Flipping channels and stopped on QVC. They were selling a Canon Rebel.

"Here's the best setting...the green box. Green means Go."
"Buy this and you'll be able to take professional photos."
"You also get the 75-300mm professional optics lens."
"With this camera, you can take just as good a photo as a professional because you can't mess up in auto mode."

Now it is a good deal, $680 for camera, 18-55, 75-300, bag and memory card....but how many people are going to buy this camera and think they are a professional?

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2011 14:21 |  #2

Heh! I wonder if "truth in advertising" laws apply to "ignorantly spouting off stuff"? Hmm, probably not in things like this, oh well...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2011 14:34 |  #3

The situation is that the buyers will not match professionals.

But while they don't have the skills of the professional, they will also not have the eye to distinguish their shortcommings.

So the customers will be happy, because they will get good photos.

Not the best photos the gear can do. But still good photos.

And as long as the buyer is happy, then the buyer has not been fooled.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 18, 2011 14:34 |  #4

The sad part is that they are actually not even lying. Not in those quotes anyway. Just "forgetting" certain parts of the truth.

You can indeed take photos that rival even the best pros, with any Canon Rebel. And since they don't sell skill and knowledge, there is no reason to mention that part ;)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 18, 2011 15:28 |  #5

tstowe wrote in post #13122860 (external link)
"With this camera, you can take just as good a photo as a professional because you can't mess up in auto mode."

If it were that easy then the pros would use the green box, too. They don't.

You can still take 'good' shots, though, and for the people they are marketing to, that's fine. They'll be happy. Some will even get excited and want to expand further, and may end up here and learn about metering and settings and the such.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2011 15:39 |  #6

photoguy6405 wrote in post #13123111 (external link)
If it were that easy then the pros would use the green box, too. They don't.

You can still take 'good' shots, though, and for the people they are marketing to, that's fine. They'll be happy. Some will even get excited and want to expand further, and may end up here and learn about metering and settings and the such.

Heh! The problem being that so many people are gullible enough to buy a DSLR instead of sticking with their compact/P&S/Apple-or-whatever devices without realizing how complex things can be, and how limited their "newbie gear" will be compared to their superzoom cameras and such.

And then, yeah, people do show up here, but it's often bitter with unmet expectations and unwanted disappointments, and then we have to play nursemaid before we can help people actually get on with their photography:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 18, 2011 16:00 |  #7

What Rebel were they selling? Maybe it was a good deal.

And they will get better photos with it on green box than they will with a point a shoot that they've been using.

I don't see them as a threat, and wouldn't see them as a threat if I were a professional.

I've been doing this almost four years now, and am nowhere near an accomplished amateur, let alone a pro. So sell away. Why not.

Thank you. bw!

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 18, 2011 17:26 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #8

I watched this infomercial too. Never saw an identifying mark on the body but I suspected it might have been a T3 as it was touted to be 12.1 megapixel. Misleading to me was the statement that this particular camera had a "much" larger ccd that was far ahead of most any camera out there today.

After coming here and getting some suggestions I began trying "M" mode and have learned quite a bit. Now the Green Box mode is extremely disappointing on several levels. But from a beginning amateur point of view it makes sense. They use what ever "language" that most attractively describes their sales items repeated as fast as possible in as many different ways as is possible in the time allotted to get as many sales as possible.

Still it is sad.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2011 17:43 |  #9

Hillbille wrote in post #13123518 (external link)
Misleading to me was the statement that this particular camera had a "much" larger ccd that was far ahead of most any camera out there today.

Did they say CCD?

But APS-C really is much larger than the sensor in most any camera out there today. Don't forget all the mobile phone cameras, and the P&S cameras. There are plenty of them out there.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 18, 2011 17:55 |  #10

They'll be shooting weddings in no time.

Photon ­ Phil
Goldmember
1,763 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 18, 2011 17:57 |  #11

This is just my experience..... I have never gotten satisfactory results from da green box on any DSLR. It's almost rediculous. I think my old slr cams with their simple electronic eye metering do better. Lol!

Bodies: SONY A850 / Pentax K100D / D70 (18-55VR, 55-200)
Primes: Minolta 28 ff2.8 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Minolta 50 f2.8 Macro
Zooms: 35-70 f4 / 100-200 f4.5 Lights: AB800 / AB400 & CSRB's
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0

tstowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2011 18:27 |  #12

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #13123218 (external link)
What Rebel were they selling? Maybe it was a good deal.

They never said. Just that it was 12.1 MP.

I don't see them as a threat, and wouldn't see them as a threat if I were a professional.

I don't think they are a threat either, just being setup for disappointment.

So sell away. Why not.

They are misrepresenting the product. The green box doesn't fix all. The glass isn't professional quality. And equipment doesn't make you shoot like a pro.

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

Acetoolguy
401 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 18, 2011 18:27 |  #13

Come on, everybody knows the pans make a great chef.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 18, 2011 18:31 |  #14

I saw they were selling Canon cameras and watched for a few minutes to see what they were selling. At one point the lady was demonstrating how easy it was to change lenses and she said something like " just line up the two red dots and give the lens a twist and now you're a professional".

The camera I saw was a T3 and it came with two lenses, an 18-55 and a 75-300, a 4 GB SD card, and a Canon camera bag. I am not sure if there were any other pieces to the kit but they did point out it came with the instruction books and software discs. They showed a list price or over $800 and were selling it for $600+, maybe $679 but I am not sure. It really wasn't that bad a deal for what they were selling it was just their sales pitch was misleading. But it was QVC so what should one expect?

Joe
5DIII

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 18, 2011 18:34 |  #15

What's QVC?

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

sponsored links

10,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
QVC makes me sad
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.