Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Never again... Adorama

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 18, 2011 07:49 |  #121

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13121530 (external link)
Helen, you wanted feedback for management? There it is. Tell them to handle problems internally, without frustrating customers so much they feel like their back's are against the wall making them feel they need to scream out loud (publicly).

I have already given this feedback to the AdoramaPix management team and recommended immediate disciplinary action be instigated against the person or persons who screwed up

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,300 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 18, 2011 07:59 |  #122

HelenOster wrote in post #13121561 (external link)
I have already given this feedback to the AdoramaPix management team and recommended immediate disciplinary action be instigated against the person or persons who screwed up

That's a good thing, and your diligence is noted.

However, I am not speaking about one specific incident nor disciplinary action against one employee.

I am suggesting, rather, that adorama employ a customer service training program for all cs reps, with the goal being to effectively and constructively resolve customer problems internally and in direct contact with the customer, and to not leave the customer with a frustrated and powerless feeling and the need to publicly scream out loud.

Website (external link) |

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,300 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 18, 2011 08:11 as a reply to  @ post 13115848 |  #123

Oh, and btw Helen, when you quote a user that has personally attacked other users, calling them "asses" and reply "thank you" to that post, whether or not you like it, repeating that attack make you appear as if you agree with it and are passing it forward. Is that your idea of good customer and public relations?

It would seem to me that good public relations would have caused you to edit out at least that part of the quote, disassociating yourself from it, and not lend credibility to personal attacks.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 18, 2011 08:18 |  #124

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13121578 (external link)
I am suggesting, rather, that adorama employ a customer service training program for all cs reps, with the goal being to effectively and constructively resolve customer problems internally and in direct contact with the customer, and to not leave the customer with a frustrated and powerless feeling and the need to publicly scream out loud.

I'm surprised to hear that you are under the impression that in a business as big as Adorama that all CS reps might not be given training - as well as regular updates to their training directly from their departmental manager.
If after repeated warnings a member of staff persists in failing to offer the standard of service expected, there are other options

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,300 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 18, 2011 09:12 |  #125

HelenOster wrote in post #13121627 (external link)
I'm surprised to hear that you are under the impression that in a business as big as Adorama that all CS reps might not be given training

Thank you for editing your post and disassociating yourself from those who would call others asses. It validates the message that personal attacks do nothing other than eliminate the credibility of those who do the attacking.

Come on, Helen. You know full good and well I am aware that training exists. I was speaking about a component to the program that would ensure that customer problems are fully resolved directly with the customer, and that the ticket is not closed until it is.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 18, 2011 13:40 |  #126

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13121606 (external link)
Oh, and btw Helen, when you quote a user that has personally attacked other users, calling them "asses" and reply "thank you" to that post, whether or not you like it, repeating that attack make you appear as if you agree with it and are passing it forward. Is that your idea of good customer and public relations?

You know if the shoe fits really well maybe it deserves to be worn ...

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,300 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 18, 2011 20:19 |  #127

jetcode wrote in post #13122714 (external link)
You know if the shoe fits really well maybe it deserves to be worn ...

And that's what you just did. Others involved in the thread maturely evaluated it, read the tea leaves, and knew when to let sleeping dogs lie. Except, apparently, for you.

You put them on, you're wearing them, and they fit just fine.

H2o4nyc
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 18, 2011 21:20 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #128

I walk in to Adorama on West 18th Street in NYC at least once a week. I have purchased numerous items from them (never via the internet) over the past decade or so (along with B&H Photo) I've always been very comfortable with the "one on one" service I have received from the their staff. They might not have an outlandish conveyer belt system or 75 people behind the counter, but their prices are competitive and their merchandise is readily available.

On occasion I have found it necessary to return a product (usually due to me not being decisive in the first place) the return process was easy and convenient. I have read some of the complaints posted online regarding customer service and have come to the conclusion that most people, only post comments online when something doesn't go their way (I'm not saying it's right or wrong).

I being a brash, street smart New Yorker, and someone who is used to a fast paced negotiation would like to say, maybe the problem arises from customer service reps simply being a stressed out bunch from the city. Perhaps Adorama should consider outsourcing that portion of their internet business to a more layed back easy going location.

I am in no way condoning arrogance or trying to make light of a situation where a consumer has been treated unfairly. All I can say is that from my personal experience dealing with many camera store merchants going back to the mid 80's, they are a tough bunch to contend with. Adorama, B&H, Beachcamera and maybe, Focus Camera in Brooklyn tend to be the most professional in the New York/New Jersey area.

I would imagine for every few complaints, there are probably a hundred satisfied customers. I apologize for the long winded statement, and I hope anyone who is experiencing a difficult time with Adorama's customer service team, can find mutual resolution in regards to their situation. As for me, well I will be there on Monday purchasing a few filters ... I'll keep you posted if I have any issues. H2o4nyc

H2o4nyc

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 18, 2011 21:26 |  #129

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13124196 (external link)
And that's what you just did. Others involved in the thread maturely evaluated it, read the tea leaves, and knew when to let sleeping dogs lie. Except, apparently, for you.

You put them on, you're wearing them, and they fit just fine.

now now ... you been a bit demanding no? ... in my opinion public humiliation is a poor way to build a relationship and secure the kind of change one is looking for. most of the time if I don't get the service I want after several transactions I quietly move on. life is way too short to lose bandwidth over late deliveries or failed product. get the issue resolved and move on. in critical timing situations always verify a vendor can deliver and plan a backup just in case.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,691 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 18, 2011 21:33 |  #130

I being a brash, street smart New Yorker, and someone who is used to a fast paced negotiation would like to say, maybe the problem arises from customer service reps simply being a stressed out bunch from the city. Perhaps Adorama should consider outsourcing that portion of their internet business to a more layed back easy going location.

Heh, I remember my first contact with Manhattan camera salesmen doing telephone purchases from my dormroom at the University of Oklahoma in 1972. I believe that was my first time ever speaking to someone from NYC. Kind of startling.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2011 23:07 |  #131

I have purchased bunch of gear, and have ordered prints from them.
Their prints are just awesome, in my opinion. Now in all fairness, not used Mpix, or other pro labs, but certainly cut above the mass printers (shutterfly, snapfish, winkflash) and my local costco which actually has decent prints.
I purchased a 35 1.4 from them, but then found one used, and emailed them to cancel my order. the order was cancelled but they shipped two days later. I called, immediately got a hold one someone who was very friendly, and provided me with a label to send the item back. I have over all found them very friendly and responsive.
I have had great experience with b&h also. I think both are very good venders.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 19, 2011 00:34 |  #132

kevindar wrote in post #13125107 (external link)
I have purchased bunch of gear, and have ordered prints from them.
Their prints are just awesome, in my opinion.

That's good to hear, thank you. BTW we are shipping out around 20,000 print orders a month so I guess we must be pleasing most of the people, most of the time!

kevindar wrote in post #13125107 (external link)
I purchased a 35 1.4 from them, but then found one used, and emailed them to cancel my order. the order was cancelled but they shipped two days later. I called, immediately got a hold one someone who was very friendly, and provided me with a label to send the item back. I have over all found them very friendly and responsive.

Great :D exactly the level of service we aim to offer, each and every time.

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2011 01:17 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #133

I have no complaints whatsoever with Adorama through countless orders over the years and a couple of returns. I appreciate that Helen is here on this forum and others and hopefully she understands that the criticism she has received does not reflect the opinion of all POTN members. Just read the posts where a newbie asks where to buy equipment.

Richard
Gear

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 19, 2011 04:50 |  #134

Frugal wrote in post #13125656 (external link)
I have no complaints whatsoever with Adorama through countless orders over the years and a couple of returns. I appreciate that Helen is here on this forum and others and hopefully she understands that the criticism she has received does not reflect the opinion of all POTN members. Just read the posts where a newbie asks where to buy equipment.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your posting, thank you - in a thread of 133 (now 134) posts which arose because a single member of AdoramaPix staff didn't follow the procedures which are clear, simple and easy to follow - and therefore messed up.

It wasn't the whole team over at the lab and it wasn't anyone at Adorama Camera.

It was one person.

Not an excuse, just telling it how it is.

Swins
76 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 19, 2011 08:16 |  #135

Lesson learned, never experiment with a clients wedding. Although they suck for doing what they did, you too are culpable for trying a new and untested product/service on a client.

sponsored links

19,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
Never again... Adorama
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.