Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 19 Sep 2011 (Monday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Foldable Step Ladder?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 19, 2011 09:31 |  #1

I apologize if this was asked in the past.

So I am 5'6" and when shooting weddings, I often times wish I was like 6'4". :lol::(

Anyways, I was browsing through Amazon and saw a few foldable step ladders. Some are made out of plastic, and others are made out of metal. Not sure which is best. I am thinking the metal one will be less risky than those plastic ones that claim to hold 300lbs.

So any of you use one? If so, what brand/model do you use?

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2011 09:50 |  #2

Funny you should mention this *LOL*... I was thinking about ordering the one linked below.
Carry your gear and a step ladder :) I just used my home ladder at a family portrait session outdoors and it was a pain.

http://www.conair.com …and-cart-p-540-55_97.html (external link)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 19, 2011 10:32 |  #3

I'm 6'4" and I bring a step ladder to every wedding. It's a metal three step ladder ($40.00 from home depot). Even though I'm pretty tall, receptions always benefit from the "higher" angle. Wide angle, close down and have everyone looking up, bride and groom in the middle, makes for a great shot.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 19, 2011 10:38 |  #4

Thanks guys. Yeah, I want something where I can carry it into someone's house without it getting in the way. I would unfold it only when needed, typically when the bride is done putting on her dress and veil, and we are taking some portraits by the window, etc. I always wished I was taller. I usually find something to stand on, but I prefer to have a step ladder so I don't have to scramble to find something to stand on.

And yes, it will come in handy at receptions as well.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 19, 2011 10:43 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #5

I have Amazon Prime, so it would be cool if I am able to find something on there.

So far, I found this: http://www.amazon.com …F8&qid=13164424​49&sr=8-17 (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2011 10:45 |  #6

nicksan wrote in post #13127235 (external link)
Thanks guys. Yeah, I want something where I can carry it into someone's house without it getting in the way. I would unfold it only when needed, typically when the bride is done putting on her dress and veil, and we are taking some portraits by the window, etc. I always wished I was taller. I usually find something to stand on, but I prefer to have a step ladder so I don't have to scramble to find something to stand on.

And yes, it will come in handy at receptions as well.

Safer than a chair *L*

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 19, 2011 10:46 |  #7

I bought a 3 step folding ladder at Lowes lumber and hardware for multiple reasons including getting above the front liners. I have discovered that after spinal cord surgery and father time jokes on old farts I am close to 3 inches shorter than I was at a younger age and that puts me at a disadvantage when shooting over a crowd. stilts strapped to your feet and legs is another option. my ladder is of aluminum and plastic and serves me quite adequately.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 19, 2011 10:52 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #8

That looks like a good one there. I have a small metal stepladder that is 2' high. I bought it at a local hardware store and it is a Cosco brand. It has come in very handy when doing events or portraits when I've had it. Folds up small and compact when not in use and can be taken anywhere.

I would recommend getting one. Mine has encouraged me to try some different perspectives for shots.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 19, 2011 11:00 |  #9

Thanks guys. Great stuff! :)

I think I'll stick with the smaller ones vs. the 3 step foldable ones.

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Sep 21, 2011 13:30 |  #10

I don't do weddings, but I've been very pleased with this 2-step Rubbermaid ladder:

http://www.amazon.com …F8&qid=13166294​72&sr=8-15 (external link)

It's quite strong and folds up very nicely and is light to carry. It doesn't have the support bar to lean up against like the Conair above, which is a nice feature on the taller ladders.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 21, 2011 13:31 as a reply to  @ Bearmann's post |  #11

I just sit on my wife's shoulders. She's 5'2" and I'm 6'2". She has strong legs. ;)

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 21, 2011 14:39 |  #12

asysin2leads wrote in post #13139991 (external link)
I just sit on my wife's shoulders. She's 5'2" and I'm 6'2". She has strong legs. ;)

*LOL* Only in Ohio !!!

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 21, 2011 15:15 |  #13

scorpio_e wrote in post #13140367 (external link)
*LOL* Only in Ohio !!!

And some parts of Kentucky, but we won't discuss those.;)

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 21, 2011 15:43 |  #14

I take a two meter/6 foot high ladder to every wedding, it's invaluable. Mine's metal but if I found a plastic one that was sturdy enough sure i'd use it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 21, 2011 18:04 |  #15

I used to use the above linked Rubbermaid ladder.

But it was such a PITA to bring it and carry it around. It was also super easy to forget it at venues. Now I just look for places and objects I can stand on.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

19,805 views & 0 likes for this thread.
Foldable Step Ladder?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.