Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 04:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

What software is best at noise reduction?

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 17, 2011 04:17 |  #1

I have heard dozens of people swearing by LR3's noise reduction abilities. My question is this: what about ACR's noise reduction? I dont have lightroom but i do have ACR which is from the same company so i assume it uses the same methods. I am up to date and using the latest version, so how does it compare to LR3 noise removal?
i have used topaz denoise 3 & 5 plugins and find that topaz denoise 5 is not as good as ACR noise removal and topaz denoise 3 is actually the best in my opinion provided the noise levels are low to begin with. If the noise is bad then it shows worm like artefacts.
So what else is out there that does a good job and which one is truelly the best?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,318 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 17, 2011 07:18 |  #2

I've tried three:

TLR (external link) - used to be free, don't know if it is. Works very well - advantages: free and flexible.

Noise Ninja - works good, no longer use it because of below

Nik dFine - my current. Works well yet seems to be better at maintaining sharpness than others. Disadvantage - expensive.

Website (external link) |

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 17, 2011 07:41 |  #3

If i didn't have LR3 already, I'd still purchase it for it's NR abilities. I've yet to use a NR software that has impressed me as much as LR3 does and it's only a bonus that I prefer to use it to process my RAW's over ACR.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

digital ­ paradise
"It takes a bit of work to get it in."
18,962 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 17, 2011 07:58 |  #4

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13117686 (external link)
I've tried three:

TLR (external link) - used to be free, don't know if it is. Works very well - advantages: free and flexible.

Noise Ninja - works good, no longer use it because of below

Nik dFine - my current. Works well yet seems to be better at maintaining sharpness than others. Disadvantage - expensive.

I also use Dfine. Did you know you can run it as a smart object in PS. Gives you the option to pull it back as much as you want. Although it works well sometimes Dfine can be a little aggressive and create plastic looking skin. It also creates a layer mask so you can mask out certain areas.

I find it easier to pull back and mask out than do it selectively. First I see what Dfine thinks needs to be done in auto then I correct to taste.

I did that here. Post #29

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1092​782&page=2

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

nrowensby
Goldmember
4,410 posts
Gallery: 254 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 17, 2011 07:59 |  #5

I use NoiseWare Pro, no complaints.

•••••••
“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs.
When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
- Ansel Adams -

•••••••

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 17, 2011 08:01 |  #6

ISO6400 only using LR3's NR

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5269/5759999119_6b97216d1b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …g_photography/5​759999119/  (external link)
Bob the cat (external link) by ChrisG Photography (external link), on Flickr

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

digital ­ paradise
18,962 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 17, 2011 08:06 |  #7

boerewors wrote in post #13117372 (external link)
I have heard dozens of people swearing by LR3's noise reduction abilities. My question is this: what about ACR's noise reduction? I dont have lightroom but i do have ACR which is from the same company so i assume it uses the same methods. I am up to date and using the latest version, so how does it compare to LR3 noise removal?
i have used topaz denoise 3 & 5 plugins and find that topaz denoise 5 is not as good as ACR noise removal and topaz denoise 3 is actually the best in my opinion provided the noise levels are low to begin with. If the noise is bad then it shows worm like artefacts.
So what else is out there that does a good job and which one is truelly the best?

There is no truly best. No one can answer that because it is would be subjective answer.
My friend swears by Topaz. I prefer Dfine. ACR/LR does a very good job I think although I don't normally use it. If the noise is not too bad I will use DPP's NR for batch processing. Individual images Dfine.

Some of the top ones were listed. For this you need to do a search on the web and eventually you will find a site that has done some testing and can provide an objective review.

Image Editing OK

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,318 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 17, 2011 08:38 |  #8

digital paradise wrote in post #13117767 (external link)
I also use Dfine. Did you know you can run it as a smart object in PS. Gives you the option to pull it back as much as you want. Although it works well sometimes Dfine can be a little aggressive and create plastic looking skin. It also creates a layer mask so you can mask out certain areas.

I find it easier to pull back and mask out than do it selectively. First I see what Dfine thinks needs to be done in auto then I correct to taste.

I did that here. Post #29

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1092​782&page=2

No, I didn't but good to know.

Typically I just make a copy of the layer then aggressively remove noise calculated to denoise the worst area. I create a black mask for the layer, then, with brushes of varying opacity, I brush the mask to create different levels of noise removal in different areas as needed, and no noise removal where not needed. Using it this way, I find dFine a superb app.

Website (external link) |

digital ­ paradise
18,962 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 17, 2011 09:24 |  #9

That will work as well. Always more than one way to do things. Ever since I discovered Smart Objects I'm starting to us them more for everything.

Image Editing OK

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 19, 2011 07:17 |  #10

boerewors wrote in post #13117372 (external link)
My question is this: what about ACR's noise reduction? I dont have lightroom but i do have ACR which is from the same company so i assume it uses the same methods. I am up to date and using the latest version, so how does it compare to LR3 noise removal?

ACR 6.x is identical to LR3.x in that respect.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 19, 2011 08:18 |  #11

René Damkot wrote in post #13126351 (external link)
ACR 6.x is identical to LR3.x in that respect.

ahh thanks. at last i get the answer. almost went out and bought LR3

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 19, 2011 09:32 |  #12

Lightroom 3

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 19, 2011 10:35 |  #13

I use neat image. Love the flexibility of the software.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

2,676 views & 0 likes for this thread.
What software is best at noise reduction?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.