Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Sep 2011 (Monday) 03:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another 100 -400L question

stroller115
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 19, 2011 03:45 |  #1

I’m about to take the plunge and get myself one of these. Having read that there are some examples that are, shall I say- not as good as others. Is it a case of getting these “not so good” lenses recalibrated or is it an inherent problem that is more difficult or impossible to fix?

Tony C

sponsored links
Tyreman
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 19, 2011 05:10 |  #2

Just go and buy one
There isn't that much of a problem with them at all
i have owned or used at least 4 different date codes they all worked fine and were sharp

1D Mark III / 100-400 L Version II
430ex II

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 19, 2011 05:15 |  #3

I have one and it's sharp. Just make sure you hold your gear steady anyway. Love using it for sports. It is true, not as sharp as the 70-200 2.8 IS, or f4 that I have, but still, very nice. Skill is important, too.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 19, 2011 06:59 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #4

Like anything that's manufactured en masse, there will be always some sample variations with performance, doesn't matter what the product is. That being said, I have yet to have any problems with any of my Canon lenses, including my 6-year old 100-400L. As someone has already mentioned, skill plays a large part. My advice is to read up on long lens technique and don't sweat it.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

BioSci
406 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 19, 2011 07:15 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #5

I have to agree with the opinions above, especially the importance of skill and experience. I've had my 100-400L for about 4 months now, and if you were to look at the progression of photos I've taken with the lens over that time, you might come to the conclusion that the lens has gotten significantly sharper over that time!

Gripped 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400L | 17-55 f/2.8 | lots of misc stuff

Tyo Photographyexternal link

h14nha
Goldmember
2,026 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 19, 2011 13:57 |  #6

BioSci wrote in post #13126342 (external link)
I have to agree with the opinions above, especially the importance of skill and experience. I've had my 100-400L for about 4 months now, and if you were to look at the progression of photos I've taken with the lens over that time, you might come to the conclusion that the lens has gotten significantly sharper over that time!

BINGO bw!
People come from 100mm territory into 400mm territory and wonder why their pics are soft at 1/250 sec. I always aim for 1/1000sec as well as IS on to ensure a sharp pic :D It takes time for most peoples pics to improve.....
If your birding, then close close close is the way to go, even with 400mm at your disposal. You can't take a pic from 100 feet away and expect magazine cover detail. Its a great lens !!

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / :D Fuji X Pro1 / XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Rich ­ Smith
85 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 19, 2011 15:06 |  #7

Hopefully you don't mind me hopping in on this stroller. I started an almost simliar thread a few days ago and am still on the fence. It does seem most that love the lens say it's mostly user error. It does make sense.

If by chance it does have to go back to canon for calibration, what is the app cost?

stroller115
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 19, 2011 15:25 |  #8

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. Lens is on order and I'm eagerly awaiting delivery. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Tony C

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 19, 2011 15:35 |  #9

Rich Smith wrote in post #13128613 (external link)
Hopefully you don't mind me hopping in on this stroller. I started an almost simliar thread a few days ago and am still on the fence. It does seem most that love the lens say it's mostly user error. It does make sense.

If by chance it does have to go back to canon for calibration, what is the app cost?

I sent mine in for a checkup/adjust at one point and it was about $280 or so, IIRC. It's a fantastic lens, though, and mine gets used and abused pretty heavily; it's yet to fail me...any bad pics I get are due to me rather than the lens.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Rrudo74901
93 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 19, 2011 17:08 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #10

I have to agree with the above, if I miss a shot, it's usually my fault not the lens.
And as far as a learning curve, I found it very easy to adjust to.

It is a great lens, just watch your speed as wide open at 100mm is only 4.5. Have to raise ISO at dusk pretty quickly to keep shutter speed up.

Buy with confidence, it's a great lens.

1D Mark IV / 7D / 50mm 1.4 / 24-70mm 2.8 L / 24-105mm L / 100-400mm L IS / 300mm 2.8 L IS / 1.4 III TC

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 19, 2011 17:10 |  #11

Rich Smith wrote in post #13128613 (external link)

If you buy new and send it for calibration within the first year it is free under the warranty.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,083 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 19, 2011 17:13 |  #12

[QUOTE=Rich Smith;13128613]Hopeful​ly you don't mind me hopping in on this stroller. I started an almost simliar thread a few days ago and am still on the fence. It does seem most that love the lens say it's mostly user error. It does make sense.

If by chance it does have to go back to canon for calibration, what is the app cost?[/quote]

app? there is no app. calibration is free if the lens is in warranty.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 19, 2011 17:29 |  #13

I've got one that's 10 years old, and I'm thinking about dropping it off for an inspection/service just because it's 10 years old. It works fine, has no issues, and couldn't be identified as "vintage" just by looking. Sorta like a watch...every now and then, it deserves a good service...

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2011 17:32 |  #14

It's a very sharp lens, very. There are tricks to using it.

First, don't use a filter, one more piece of glass to go through, esp at 400mm. And some say there are other hypertechnical reasons as well, ? filters don't work with stabilization.

Second, use a tripod, and if there's wind, a weight on the center column hook. Or at least a monopod.

Third, use as fast a shutter speed as possible.

Fourth, use your microadjustment to calibrate it to your camera body.

Fifth, keep the tension ring relatively tight, so that when it hangs down in your hand, the barrel doesn't extend on its own with gravity and whack the stop mechanism.

Last, I use TF Camera Repair in NJ rather than Canon for overhauls. They test to higher standards than does Canon.

But most of all, it helps if you've played the trombone in high school.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 19, 2011 18:04 |  #15

tvphotog wrote in post #13129261 (external link)
It's a very sharp lens, very. There are tricks to using it.

First, don't use a filter, one more piece of glass to go through, esp at 400mm. And some say there are other hypertechnical reasons as well, ? filters don't work with stabilization.

Second, use a tripod, and if there's wind, a weight on the center column hook. Or at least a monopod.

Third, use as fast a shutter speed as possible.

Fourth, use your microadjustment to calibrate it to your camera body.

Fifth, keep the tension ring relatively tight, so that when it hangs down in your hand, the barrel doesn't extend on its own with gravity and whack the stop mechanism.

Last, I use TF Camera Repair in NJ rather than Canon for overhauls. They test to higher standards than does Canon.

But most of all, it helps if you've played the trombone in high school.

Wait huh? I use a filter on all my lenses including my 100-400L when I had it for years and never had issues...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

3,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another 100 -400L question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.