Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 18 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

apple and final cut vs vegas

mystic97z
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 18, 2011 12:42 |  #1

i do wedding videos with a couple of 5d's. I currently have a toshiba laptop with 8g of ram, and sony vegas. I don't want to even get into my sony vegas bugs, but i have to convert all my footave from mov (what they come from off my 5d) to avi for sony vegas to run properly without errors. something that takes a few hours to do with all my clips. I heard that an imac with final cut pro you can just take them straight from a 5d, 7d, or 60 d in mov format and do your project and render it into mp4 without converting to avi. is this true? if so i think the cash is worth it. These sony vegas errors are costing me HOURS per project!!

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 18, 2011 14:46 |  #2

???
I have a Toshiba R705 laptop and use Vegas. I've never had to do any of that. I downloaded the Apple software for avi when I first got Vegas because Vegas prompted me too, and never had to tell/force any footage to be converted to work in Vegas. I copy from my SD card into a folder labelled whatever the project is on my laptop, and drop the files I want into Vegas from that folder. No hassle no fuss.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 18, 2011 14:55 |  #3

We have both.. I7 pc 9gb with Vegas and an Imac I7, 12gb with FCPx. Nothing needs converted with the iMac. We just edited a wedding with 110gb of footage without a glitch. It definitely saves time and FCPx is actually pretty similar to Vegas.

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 19, 2011 07:22 as a reply to  @ Drozz119's post |  #4

I run Vegas on a Dell laptop with 8gig and it is far from satisfactory. Will crash on most projects and a clean render out is no better than a 50/50 chance.
Have installed a "fix" which allowed it to address the full 8gig (it doesn't by default) which helped but still couldn't be considered a stable solution on my set up.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Photo99
539 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 19, 2011 22:10 as a reply to  @ John Sims's post |  #5

I've never had any work experience with editing vids on a pc I've always used a macbook and final cut works great for me.

Photo99

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 20, 2011 01:43 as a reply to  @ Photo99's post |  #6

If you run Final Cut Pro X you can import and edit native files straight from your Canon DSLR. If however, you have Final Cut Pro 7 (the previous version) you do need to convert the files first. The Canon EOS Plugin for Final Cut Pro makes this easy. For this, I convert them to Apple ProRes 422 and create a dmg file and edit that, it works very well. Here is a very easy to follow video tutorial that will help you through the process.

http://www.youtube.com …panictv#p/u/6/1​fqTxX1zamo (external link)

Recently I have been editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 which also allows you to edit your Canon DSLR footage natively. I like that, and the speed that comes from it being 64 bit, but I do miss some of the features of Final Cut Pro 7.

To summarize:
Final Cut Pro 7 - Need to convert.
Final Cut Pro X - Works with unconverted/native footage.
Premiere Pro CS5 - Works with unconverted/native footage.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

776 views & 0 likes for this thread
apple and final cut vs vegas
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.