Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Sep 2011 (Monday) 23:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upcoming shoot and a 28 in softbox

tripl3distill3d
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 19, 2011 23:42 |  #1

I have a shoot coming up with a nude model. She doesn't know what she wants aesthetically (wtf, right?) but at the same time neither do I. Being that this is my first nude shoot, I'm putting positive energy out there that everything will go fine.
Right now I plan on using my 580exII with a 28in Apollo softbox im thinking of purchasing and am concerned that it wouldn't provide enough light. I've heard of photographers using the 50in, but the [rude} sales person at B&H insisted that with one speedlight, it wouldn't provide enough light for the softbox.
Does anyone have any experience with using a 580exII and a westcott 50in apollo indoors?

sponsored links
Fluffbutt
75 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 20, 2011 05:24 |  #2

tripl3distill3d wrote in post #13131300 (external link)
I have a shoot coming up with a nude model. She doesn't know what she wants aesthetically (wtf, right?) but at the same time neither do I. Being that this is my first nude shoot, I'm putting positive energy out there that everything will go fine.
Right now I plan on using my 580exII with a 28in Apollo softbox im thinking of purchasing and am concerned that it wouldn't provide enough light. I've heard of photographers using the 50in, but the [rude} sales person at B&H insisted that with one speedlight, it wouldn't provide enough light for the softbox.
Does anyone have any experience with using a 580exII and a westcott 50in apollo indoors?

How much room do you have, and what sort of studio or semi-studio internals do you already have?

If you have a decent white reflector (big square of foam core will do), and a chaise-lounge type thing, set the softy to the right, have her lie down facing you on her right side, so her face is far from the softy, but facing it.

Have the reflector to the left and move it circularly to the front as needed.
The pose allow for her modesty if she wishes (the upper leg drapes forward to show bum-curve, but no fuzz). If she gets racier, you can have her perched on the front edge of the seat, legs spread (adjust softy-box forwards to allow for this).

I think you'll find the flash will be good in that setting, it'll cane the batteries though, make sure you have another one or two sets fully charged.

tripl3distill3d
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 20, 2011 10:58 as a reply to  @ Fluffbutt's post |  #3

She's taking care of the location but hasn't told me the specifics despite my inquiries. I'm sure I'll have enough space but I dislike not knowing the specifics of a location.
I get a idea of what you are illustrating. That setup is with the softbox right?

Mr.Beast
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 20, 2011 11:50 |  #4

I'm gonna go ahead and regurgitate some more Zack Arias quotes.

On the westcott apollo 50 inch: "There are photographers and camera store employees that will tell you that you cannot use a hotshoe flash with a softbox this size. They say you need a larger light to use it. To them I say... Whatever."

And: "Don't worry about what light you have. Think about what light you make."

I think, that even if a 580exII can't fill up a 28 or 50 inch softbox, it may still create a pretty cool look. I'm sure that none of my current flashes are capable of filling up my 60 inch umbrella, but I still use it. And I love it.

5D classic - 1000d - 28/2.8 - 50/1.8 - 85/1.8 - Mamiya RB67
flickr (external link)

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 20, 2011 13:22 |  #5

It's VERY possible to use the 50" with a hot shoe flash. I just have got the 50", and popped a few shots with the Vivitar 285 and it works quite well. I'm not a technical junky though. I don't know or care if the light fills the box, or if it's perfectly even. Those things just aren't important for my style of shooting.

Bring extra batteries, though, because you won't be at the lowest power on the flash unless you want a very shallow depth of field.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

tripl3distill3d
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 20, 2011 13:36 |  #6

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13133580 (external link)
I'm gonna go ahead and regurgitate some more Zack Arias quotes.

On the westcott apollo 50 inch: "There are photographers and camera store employees that will tell you that you cannot use a hotshoe flash with a softbox this size. They say you need a larger light to use it. To them I say... Whatever."

And: "Don't worry about what light you have. Think about what light you make."

I think, that even if a 580exII can't fill up a 28 or 50 inch softbox, it may still create a pretty cool look. I'm sure that none of my current flashes are capable of filling up my 60 inch umbrella, but I still use it. And I love it.

Zack is great. I actually got the idea from his One Light DVD.
I'm not concerned about necessarily filling up the softbox, but wouldn't want to create problems for myself (even though sometimes it is the best way to learn.)

tripl3distill3d
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 20, 2011 13:39 |  #7

alabama1980 wrote in post #13134217 (external link)
It's VERY possible to use the 50" with a hot shoe flash. I just have got the 50", and popped a few shots with the Vivitar 285 and it works quite well. I'm not a technical junky though. I don't know or care if the light fills the box, or if it's perfectly even. Those things just aren't important for my style of shooting.

Bring extra batteries, though, because you won't be at the lowest power on the flash unless you want a very shallow depth of field.

I'm glad to hear this.

Hollywoodgt
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 21, 2011 14:28 as a reply to  @ tripl3distill3d's post |  #8

Best of luck to you I did my first shoot and well lets say it didn't turn out that good. Mostly using a remote flash 3 430 EX II two unbreallas, back let the bask drop I had. Which was portable, the biggest thing I think was just to keep shooting and also some modeling lights would have helped I believe big time. Those can be made pretty easy.

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 21, 2011 18:07 |  #9

tripl3distill3d wrote in post #13133305 (external link)
She's taking care of the location but hasn't told me the specifics despite my inquiries. I'm sure I'll have enough space but I dislike not knowing the specifics of a location.
I get a idea of what you are illustrating. That setup is with the softbox right?

I would really make sure you're not being set up to be mugged or possibly set up for being accused of something else by not being specific about the location. If it is remote with no witnesses or help it would not offer you much protection if things started to get ugly.

I hope things go well but it's better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, I have used one of my YN-560 speedlights in my 55" Octo and it worked fine so I wouldn't worry about wether your 580 is powerful enough to do likewise.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

tripl3distill3d
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 21, 2011 18:51 |  #10

Thorrulz wrote in post #13141453 (external link)
I would really make sure you're not being set up to be mugged or possibly set up for being accused of something else by not being specific about the location. If it is remote with no witnesses or help it would not offer you much protection if things started to get ugly.

Thanks for the concern. It's going to be a shoot with my ex-girlfriend so I'm not too worried. I even joked with her about trying to pull something like that (poor victims of shady craigslist connections.)

rcfury
916 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 21, 2011 22:57 |  #11

talk about weird... Having your ex post nude. :)

~Nathan
Gear: Canon 1Dm2, 10D, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L EF-50 1.4, and the Canon 550EX flash
-----
♦ Check out my FLICKR  (external link) (external link)

sponsored links

1,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upcoming shoot and a 28 in softbox
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.