Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 09 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 22:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

San Diego - Miramar Air Show

Trek_203
287 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 09, 2011 22:43 |  #1

Hello everyone, I'm very excited for the Miramar show this year - it will be my first time. I just noticed that most preferred box seats were already taken. So, I went ahead and got my tickets yesterday before its too late.

If you have any Miramar Air Show pics you can share please post them here and please let me know where are you located when you took the shot (Chalet, grandstand, box, and etc.). If you can also share some tips would be appreciated.

I just purchased the matinee but thinking about getting the twilight show as well. Not sure if I should get another box seat or one of the flight deck chalets. :)

Also, not sure what telephoto lens I should take... Choices are: 70-200mm 2.8 IS II + 1.4x II ext, 100-400mm, 400mm 2.8 IS.

I only have one wide angle lens so I guess this is out of the question.

Any input would be appreciated.

1DMKIV - 70-200 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 100 2.8L Macro | 85 1.2L II |
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,950 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 16, 2011 01:25 |  #2

Trek_203 wrote in post #12567784 (external link)
Hello everyone, I'm very excited for the Miramar show this year - it will be my first time. I just noticed that most preferred box seats were already taken. So, I went ahead and got my tickets yesterday before its too late.

If you have any Miramar Air Show pics you can share please post them here and please let me know where are you located when you took the shot (Chalet, grandstand, box, and etc.). If you can also share some tips would be appreciated.

I just purchased the matinee but thinking about getting the twilight show as well. Not sure if I should get another box seat or one of the flight deck chalets. :)

Also, not sure what telephoto lens I should take... Choices are: 70-200mm 2.8 IS II + 1.4x II ext, 100-400mm, 400mm 2.8 IS.

I attended Miramar last year for the first time. I was in the flight deck chalet, and it was a great experience. The chalet has a tented area with tables and seats, and an area outside the tent, also with chairs and a few tables with umbrellas. The tent gives shade and a place to relax until the flying show begins. The ticket price includes a decent box lunch. There is another chalet that serves booze. The flight deck chalet is positioned at the center of the runway (or about) so it provides good viewing for the flying show. I was able to buy my chalet ticket a few days before the event. It comes with preferred parking which is nice.

A few people I talked to highly recommended the twilight show.

Here's a few pics of the flight deck chalet...

Inside the tent

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/5838621228_f83b6bbb01_b.jpg

The next two are from inside the tent looking out towards the outside seating.
That's my hat.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/5838073105_9a3b94d446_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/5838065001_83bcd8500f_b.jpg

As far as lenses, your 100-400 is a must!

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

NeverFollow
Goldmember
1,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 16, 2011 01:41 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #3

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

All taken with the 70-200mm.... I needed a little extra reach so I would say bring the 100-400 or the 400 2.8. I didnt buy a ticket these were all taken around the grandstands. Only down fall to not buying reserved seating is not having a seat and not being in prime location. On a "general' admission you have to push your way through crowds but you still see everything.

** A side note you usually have to park far away and take a shuttle back to your car. Remember where you parked! You basically have no way to remember where you parked other than distant land marks and by counting lines. Also traffic getting off the base is an absolute pain, last year it took me 45 mins to get off the base exiting the west side to the 5. That was after the day show. My plan this year is to stay a quarter way through the night show and then leave. AND dont forget to bring earplugs and lots of sunscreen

http://500px.com/chris​kennedydotphoto (external link)[/B]
http://ckphoto.online/ (external link)

derekabraham
423 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 16, 2011 01:46 |  #4

This will also be my first year shooting the Air Show with a high performance camera, 7D+70-200 f/4L, although I'll probably rent something with more zoom. ;)

6D
flickr (external link)

Trek_203
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 18, 2011 03:49 |  #5

wow! Thanks for all your replies and for contributing the pics! I appreciate it very much! This is very helpful insight.

I purchased 5 tickets last week... I bought Box seats for the matinee and flight deck chalet for the twilight. I like the idea of assigned seating in case you leave your seat to do something and you dont have to worry about someone taking it. Not quite sure how it works in the flight deck chalet. I heard that you have to be there early to get the front seats. Cant wait! I'm very excited and its only June! LOL!

flickr (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 22, 2011 15:04 as a reply to  @ Trek_203's post |  #6

It's a great show if you've never been before, but after eight years I'm probably not going to this show for a while. The lineup hasn't changed much over the last five years and frankly it's gotten boring.

John

Trek_203
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 27, 2011 23:00 |  #7

JWright wrote in post #12640346 (external link)
It's a great show if you've never been before, but after eight years I'm probably not going to this show for a while. The lineup hasn't changed much over the last five years and frankly it's gotten boring.

That's what i heard... even the announcer's dialogue is exactly the same every year.

flickr (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 28, 2011 17:50 as a reply to  @ Trek_203's post |  #8

The last few years I've been able to get media access by virtue of shooting for an aviation newspaper. Last year and the year before, the media area turned into a real zoo with all the non-media invited guests.

I have no problem with Marine Veterans of WWII being allowed into the media area, but the last two years I've had to compete with kids for space on the shooting platform. It was so bad in 2010 that I didn't come back after the Friday show...

John

nascarsbeanr48
105 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 21, 2011 01:39 |  #9

Im a little late but I will be going back to miramar this year after a long hiatus...my last air show was miramar in 2000 i wanna say...maybe even longer but whatever the case is,i cant wait to see the blue angels again!!! its been a very long time..who knows,i might just run into you trek?? i got grandstand seats for both the matinee and twilight saturday shows...should be exciting..

Mark M.
Bodies-gripped Canon 7D and gripped Canon 40D
Lenses-Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 10-22, Canon 18-55, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
Flashes-2 580 ex speedlites
www.Instagram.com/Muno​z_Images (external link)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2011 22:41 |  #10

NeverFollow wrote in post #12602197 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Oh Myyyy... this is amazing!!! How did you time this shot?

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

SouthFlorida_Tron
596 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 27, 2011 23:24 |  #11

Awesome shots

< Nikon D7100 -- AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED -- AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G >
My Flickr (external link)
My "Nano-Reef" Aquarium Thread (external link)

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 28, 2011 13:24 as a reply to  @ SouthFlorida_Tron's post |  #12

Chalets are horrible imo for photography. The best place is the Grandstands. I hate the chalets due to the fact that you might get there early and be in the first row. People will push their way up to the front. Also up in the grandstands are where the real photographers are located. Here are my pics from the 2010 Miramar Airshow:

Miramar 2010 (external link)

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 28, 2011 13:25 |  #13

mellofelow wrote in post #13158146 (external link)
Oh Myyyy... this is amazing!!! How did you time this shot?

You don't time it. The Hornet will make a high speed pass and you just hope to get it. On Friday, there was a lot of vapor. In fact, nothing went up until 1300 or so.

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 28, 2011 13:27 |  #14

Trek_203 wrote in post #12668728 (external link)
That's what i heard... even the announcer's dialogue is exactly the same every year.

Yes it is Rob Reider, who is the announcer, pretty much uses the same script. We all tune him out to be honest. He will tell you about how dedicated the flight crews are and so forth. He loves wearing his Blue Angels Flight suit.

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 28, 2011 13:27 |  #15

derekabraham wrote in post #12602211 (external link)
This will also be my first year shooting the Air Show with a high performance camera, 7D+70-200 f/4L, although I'll probably rent something with more zoom. ;)

You need a 100-400 at the show.

sponsored links

14,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
San Diego - Miramar Air Show
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.