Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 20 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon J1/V1 Mirrorless is official.

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2011 11:34 |  #76

I guess i'm just not really interested in this at all. Too small of sensor. Why not just make a camera with that same size of sensor and an extremely high quality, faster, non-changeable lens. From Canon, I'd rather see a G-sized camera with an APS sized sensor and a nice attached lens than something like this.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sponsored links
rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 21, 2011 12:31 |  #77

Canon probably will come out with a mini system. But I really hope they wouldn't. I would rather see them apply that time and effort into improving their compacts / dslr's.

The Nex system can produce beautiful results. But unless you have mini hands, or cannot lift an entry level DSLR to your eyeball, I really don't see the point of these mini systems. If you want to lug one of these cameras and 2+ lenses around you will still need a bag to carry it in so you might as well just lug a DSLR and enjoy the quality / features.

High quality compact = pocket
DSLR = bag
Mini System = bag ???

-

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 21, 2011 12:36 |  #78

But it's a smaller bag? :)

I feel the same way. I think that is why so many are grabbing the x100 because it is not a system, it is just a smallish camera you can slide in your carry on or hang around your neck. Once you start talking lens kits I agree, we are in DSLR land.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 21, 2011 13:10 |  #79

woos wrote in post #13139492 (external link)
I guess i'm just not really interested in this at all. Too small of sensor. Why not just make a camera with that same size of sensor and an extremely high quality, faster, non-changeable lens. From Canon, I'd rather see a G-sized camera with an APS sized sensor and a nice attached lens than something like this.

You mean like what Fuji did with the x10? :)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

mpix345
Goldmember
2,850 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 21, 2011 13:13 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #80

Surprisingly boring release from Nikon. I couldn't feel less compelled to purchase.

I guess the strategy is to give consumers an option who don't want size of DSLRs but who are willing to spend on m4/3s or NEX systems. Nikon's brand recognition maybe will carry the day over Sony, Oly and Panny, and the overall lack of performance will not even bump up against the D3100 end of the DSLR line up. I'm not sure what else they could be thinking...

mpix345
Goldmember
2,850 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 21, 2011 13:18 |  #81

tkbslc wrote in post #13139742 (external link)
But it's a smaller bag? :)

I feel the same way. I think that is why so many are grabbing the x100 because it is not a system, it is just a smallish camera you can slide in your carry on or hang around your neck. Once you start talking lens kits I agree, we are in DSLR land.

But you don't have to buy a bunch of lenses just because you have have the capability to swap them out. I'm pretty happy ATM with an older GF1 + 20/1.7. I do have some MF lenses I use occasionally, but most of the time this might as well be a fixed lens camera. On the used market it is about half the price of the X100.

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 21, 2011 13:29 |  #82

Spec wise I wish, like most people, it had done better. Sensor size being the biggest downfall is also a smart move as someone already said. Don't take away from the dslr sales and offer a new line for photo enthusiast and people looking for a different type of camera, although there are a lot of options now.
Plus it's looks are kinda like disfigurement, tough to look at but you can't help but check it out. In a weird way, I like it. We'll see how it all pans out...

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 21, 2011 13:29 as a reply to  @ mpix345's post |  #83

I think the next announcement will be that the D4 is assembled by attaching 6 of these together. Japanese are really good at engineering things like that...

http://tmeatcomiccon20​11.files.wordpress.com​/2011/07/voltron2.jpg (external link)

My 500PX (external link)

palaima
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2011 13:42 |  #84

tkbslc wrote in post #13139372 (external link)
I think I'd rather see Canon do some really nice fixed lens compacts than a whole new system. Bring back the Canonet to compete with Fujifilm. Let the people with poor selling DSLR systems worry about creating a mini-system, Canon doesn't need it.

Canon should write this down. Words of wisdom.

http://500px.com/ppala​ima (external link)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 21, 2011 13:50 as a reply to  @ palaima's post |  #85

Can you guys imagine where the pro-1 would be now if they had continued to work on that model? Sure my pro-1 sucked, but that was like 7-8 years ago?

I would sport a compact Canon with at least APS-C sensor for times when weight is critical down to the ounce.

My 500PX (external link)

Photon ­ Phil
Goldmember
1,763 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 21, 2011 15:59 |  #86

I'm not usually crass but this camera system of theirs is weird looking and pointless really. Not impressive.

Bodies: SONY A850 / Pentax K100D / D70 (18-55VR, 55-200)
Primes: Minolta 28 ff2.8 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Minolta 50 f2.8 Macro
Zooms: 35-70 f4 / 100-200 f4.5 Lights: AB800 / AB400 & CSRB's
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 21, 2011 16:26 as a reply to  @ Photon Phil's post |  #87

I don't want this at all. There are many better options at this price point. But the average consumer doesn't know anything about sensor size or aperture. It'll sell because it's Nikon.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 21, 2011 18:12 |  #88

tkbslc wrote in post #13138482 (external link)
But we've seen their glass. It's a short slow kit zoom, a short slow telephoto, a super slow superzoom, and a 27mm equiv f2.8 prime. Even if they are sharp as Leica, they are boring and the sensor won't let them shine.

You're assuming people who this camera is targeted at know a lot about aperture ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

NickSim87
Sir Chimp-a-lot
3,602 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 21, 2011 18:23 |  #89

Because none of the other cameras are Nikons.

tkbslc wrote in post #13138299 (external link)
I am just trying to think why would you buy into this system.

m4/3 = size and selection
NEX = sensor quality, rangefinder lens usage and new NEX-7 body
Samsung = prime selection, APS-C DOF.
Q = tiny size, toy camera lenses, tiny f1.9 normal prime
Nikon 1 = ???

Gear List | Feedback

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 21, 2011 18:42 |  #90
bannedPermanent ban

KenjiS wrote in post #13137865 (external link)
http://www.dpreview.co​m …-sensor-mirrorless-camera (external link)

^- anyone else see this laughable thing trying to defend the sensor size?

They're right of course..IN THEORY, a small sensor should mean cheaper and smaller camera...

But IN REALITY...

-The cameras are not smaller than m4/3 or NEX, Not noticeably so at least

For comparison, the J1 (The smaller) measures out at 106mm x 61mm x 30mm, The NEX-C3 measures in at 110mm x 60mm x 33mm, and the Panasonic GF3 is 107.7 x 67.1 x 32.5 I wouldnt call 3-4mm a HUGE difference here size-wise

Weight? Well lets see, 277g (No battery) for the J1, 225g (No battery) for the GF3 and the NEX-C3 is 225g WITH its battery...

Again, Not winning here

Lets compare the NEX-7 to the V1,

NEX-7: 119.9mm x 66.9mm x 42.8mm, 291g (No batt)
V1: 113m x 76mmm x 44mm, 294g (No batt)

The NEX-7 is VERY SLIGHTLY wider, I will concede its quite a bit taller however...But still, You ARE getting a sensor 3 times larger than the V1..

-Point 2 is that lenses should be smaller and lighter..cant comment on that because i have no handy specs for the lenses...However it also means they should be able to make small fast lenses easily, The fastest lens for it right now is f/2.8..Which isnt very quick considering the small sensor...

-The next point is cost....$650 for the J1 with a zoom lens, the GF3 is $582 at B&H right now with the 14-42, the Olympus E-PM1 is $500 with a 14-42 II lens, the NEX-C3 is $600.....

Cant say the cost looks great from my perspective when the competition is roughly the same size with bigger sensors and probably better IQ....

The V1...Well I guess it competes against the NEX-7 better at $900 vs $1350 for the NEX-7...But I'm not sure thats a "proper" comparison...the NEX-7 seems to be a more "high end" product..but i could be wrong...

Sorry DPReview, Your shoddy defense of the 2.7x sensor reeks of a bit of marketing...

great post, but average consumer is not bright, it will sill probably sell well.

Gear List

sponsored links

20,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon J1/V1 Mirrorless is official.
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.