Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 580ex II die a week apart from each other

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2011 22:19 |  #31

PacAce wrote in post #13138362 (external link)
I'm going to quote that in my sig box. There are a few people ribbing me about my not buying used. :mrgreen: :D

Ha ha Im honored PacAce. :)

Ya know whats funny is I first got that attitude with cars actually. Ive only owned one used car and it was my first that my parents gave me when I graduated high school. Since then Ive never owned anything but brand new ones, never had a car die on me, never done anything other than regular maintenance never had a beat up old car, and it forever changed my perspective on things. Now I have to second, third and fourth guess any time I even for an instant think about buying something used.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 21, 2011 22:49 |  #32

Base price for repair is $110 plus $10 shipping. If you are a CPS member it will be $77 shipped.

enginyr wrote in post #13128445 (external link)
anyone know how much it will cost to send it to canon?

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 22, 2011 00:41 |  #33

enginyr wrote in post #13140738 (external link)
psxindo. What exactly was the problem and do you have a link to the DIY?

I dropped both my 580ex2 about 1 month apart. System turns on and zoom works fine, only no flash.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1033751

Buying directly from canon parts is cheaper than from other vendor.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 22, 2011 11:16 |  #34

enginyr wrote in post #13140510 (external link)
Both were sent to canon yesterday. not happy! Clearly a defective product.

First, I'm sorry to hear about your issues - that can be very aggravating. But is it fair to call it a defective product?

Even though your used flashes "looked new" when you bought them, how do you know the prior owner didn't drop them, subject them to extreme conditions, rapid fire and overheat, or do any number of things that could have shortenned their lives? Strobes are somewhat rugged - but at the same time they have fragile components. You simply don't know how he took care of them. I have had two 580ex units now for 5 years..........knock on wood, so far so good.....

My wedding and other work is too critical to chance on certain electronic components. This is why I purchase them new. I hope the repair price is modest.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 01, 2011 13:07 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #35

There are two things that I would replace right off the bat when purchasing used. Flashtube and the fiber optic sensor. Had to do this with the 550EX flash. Total cost for the tube - $6.04, fiber optic sensor was around 3 dollars. This was through Canon parts dept.

You only need to replace the fiber optic sensor if you're getting nothing but full power flashes all the time...and it's set for a much lower value.

They're not that hard to work on. As for the capacitor, it rarely goes bad unless they've been really abused. Or if you present a dead short to it. Most of the time the tube will go bad first.

enginyr
THREAD ­ STARTER
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 01, 2011 16:34 |  #36

120 each to fix.

LA Wedding photographer (external link) Stunning Bride Photographers.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,466 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 01, 2011 17:12 |  #37

ben_r_ wrote in post #13133768 (external link)
Huh, thats very interesting. The one Ive had the longest is four years old and hasnt given me an issue yet. For you to have two go out is pretty crazy. How are you storing them? How often do you use them? What batteries are you using in them? Are you firing them on camera or off? If on, are you using the Canon brand off shoe camera cord? If off what are you mounting and triggering them with?

sorry...just revisited this thread.

At this moment in time I'm barely using flash. I shoot more with fast primes now with no flash. I use to practice and use flash for everything.

I'm extremely particular about my gear and store things in a gentle manner. I use Sanyo eneloops, Rayovac hybrids. I have a yongnuo and another china knockoff OC-E3 ettl cord but use it when I shoot with my PW flex.

All I say is I just cant wait for Canon to revise the 580exii. I think in most cases with on shoe flash bouncing I dont think I'll have a major issue since I dont hammer the flash hard with alot of FEC.

Virtually all of my gear is purchased new. My first 580exii died with regular use but on shoe bouncing flash. OMG come to think of it I've killed 3 of those crappy 580exii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've lost count. I guess I shouldn't complain...those flashes are only close to $600 including tax when I purchased them in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now you can see why I am disgusted!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

DanPics
116 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 01, 2011 18:18 |  #38

Be sure and clean the contacts on the camera and flash units. A pencil eraser works well.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 02, 2011 13:30 |  #39

AlanU wrote in post #13192277 (external link)
sorry...just revisited this thread.

At this moment in time I'm barely using flash. I shoot more with fast primes now with no flash. I use to practice and use flash for everything.

I'm extremely particular about my gear and store things in a gentle manner. I use Sanyo eneloops, Rayovac hybrids. I have a yongnuo and another china knockoff OC-E3 ettl cord but use it when I shoot with my PW flex.

All I say is I just cant wait for Canon to revise the 580exii. I think in most cases with on shoe flash bouncing I dont think I'll have a major issue since I dont hammer the flash hard with alot of FEC.

Virtually all of my gear is purchased new. My first 580exii died with regular use but on shoe bouncing flash. OMG come to think of it I've killed 3 of those crappy 580exii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've lost count. I guess I shouldn't complain...those flashes are only close to $600 including tax when I purchased them in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now you can see why I am disgusted!!

You are aware that the Pocket Wizard Flex units are known for damaging 580EX II flash units right? See this thread: LINKand many more out there. Its pretty well known and Pocket Wizard has been trying several different solutions to try and get past it. If anything, Pocket Wizard Flex units are the crappy over priced units...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

4,413 views & 0 likes for this thread
2 580ex II die a week apart from each other
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.